Birthday Trip to Chicago and Return

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KC Ghost Rider

Service Attendant
003.JPGIMG_0187.JPG

My trip on the #3 Southwest Chief started at KCY and the beautiful Union Station. The train was on time and my day started with a special birthday Railroad French Toast (the LSA put a candle in it) with everyone in the diner singing happy birthday. So very nice! The ride was excellent as usual and lunch was served with only three items available plus desserts. I had the Angus Burger and dessert was cheesecake. yum. No complaints about the equipment or staff. Arrival into Chicago was on time.030.JPG032.JPG

My birthday meal was special as I ate at Lawry's and had the Prime Rib with the trimmings.The dessert pie was Banana-Coconut crème. This food is to die for! 053.JPG

The Drake Hotel was an excellent choice for the weekend and I will return for a visit on other special occasions. My return trip was smooth with #4 leaving CHI on time. The equipment was in good shape and the service great. I had the SCA show me the trick for the fastest possible make up of the lower bed and I went to sleep until dinner. Dinner was Steak, which was very good. The only thing unusual was TSA was aboard and asked my table mate to follow them. I never learned what came of that. Scary! After dinner, I went back to sleep and the train pulled into KCY a little early. An Excellent Trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooohhhh... I've always wanted to stay at The Drake. How was it? :)

Did you do anything else while you were in Chicago?

Hi Sarah, I really enjoyed my stay at The Drake. I opted for a Junior Suite with a view of Lake Michigan. It was an outstanding choice with an excellent view of the ice covered lake. I spent a lot of my time admiring the view and having an adult beverage for medicinal purposes. The room was of good size and included a sitting area, sleeping area, bathroom, and large closet. The service staff was wonderful and they brought my a double chocolate birthday cake with assorted berries on the side, plus two tall drinking glasses. At night, there was live music in the Palm Court and people were ballroom dancing. By day, the hotel serves afternoon tea in this same space and it is breathtaking. My breakfast was included. It was served at the Drake Brothers restaurant and you may either have the buffet (which includes make to order omelets) or you can order off the menu. This restaurant has a view of the park and lake as well.

The other things I did while in Chicago? I walked up and down Michigan Ave, visiting the various stores that caught my eye. I like Macy's, but they didn't carry Tom Ford cologne. Therefore, they sent me to Bloomingdales and they carried it, so a purchase was made. Additionally, I had a nice pedicure at Tran's Nails. This establishment was recommend by the concierge at The Drake. Let me tell you the price was right! Further, I had a nice supper at the Italian Village restaurant with an old friend I served with in the Navy. Lastly, I took many photographs on my daily walks. If the visibility had been greater, I would have went up to the observation deck of the Hancock building and took some panoramic photographs of the city and lake.

That sounds wonderful! Maybe I'll make The Drake my next birthday present to myself. :)

By the way, I have lots of photos of that Western Auto sign. For me, it's the "marker" for Kansas City. I love that the arrow "moves". It reminds me of neon signs from my childhood.

Sounds like a great time! :) Happy belated birthday! :)
Than you so very much!

That sounds wonderful! Maybe I'll make The Drake my next birthday present to myself. :)

By the way, I have lots of photos of that Western Auto sign. For me, it's the "marker" for Kansas City. I love that the arrow "moves". It reminds me of neon signs from my childhood.
Yes, a stay at The Drake should be on everyone's bucket list. I would recommend you read my short review on Trip Advisor. Yes, I have a few of that Western Auto sign lit up at night. It is a throwback to an earlier era...and I love it.

Back