Boarding Acela in Boston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxjim

Service Attendant
I will be taking Acela for the first time Feb. 19 from Boston to DC on #2155. I will be trying for First Class upgrade with a Select coupon 12 hours before.

I understand the FC car can be at either end of the train. Can you help me figure out which direction the train leaves Boston so I can get a forward facing seat on the left side of the train in either Business or FC?

Many thanks!

Jim in Oregon

Boston South Station (in which I presume your departing from) is a terminus station. So the train will be heading way from the station as it can't go the other way.

peter

South Station has Redcaps so consider having one take you to your Car, you'll get early boarding and even if you don't get to Upgrade to FC ( if you do don't forget you can use the Club Acela which is upstairs) you'll still be able to snag a seat on the left side!

Boston South Station (in which I presume your departing from) is a terminus station. So the train will be heading way from the station as it can't go the other way.

peter
In oher words no matter what car the left side will be on the left side when departing from South Station.........

peter
In oher words no matter what car the left side will be on the left side when departing from South Station.........

I think so... not sure I understand your comment.

In summary: board the train, look away from the station, the seats on your left are the seats on the left side.

peter

Jim, the only seats that would be rear facing on an Acela would be those at a Conference table. When they clean the train in between trips they flip the seats around so the majority are facing the direction of travel. Hope that helps.

Jim, the only seats that would be rear facing on an Acela would be those at a Conference table. When they clean the train in between trips they flip the seats around so the majority are facing the direction of travel. Hope that helps.
I don'r believe that is true in Acela First Class. Since so many of the seats in F are associated with fixed tables, I do not believe that any seats in F are rotated to face forward as they are in Business Class. The result is that about half of all the seats in Acela F are facing backwards. I'll gladly defer to Alan or anyone else with more experience in F, but that is my recollection from my own trips and other reports.

Bill the seats that don't have fixed tables are rotated. I rode 2172 Friday FC was on the Head End with all seats facing forward except fixed tables. Today on 2165 FC was on the Tail End. Seats were facing direction except fixed tables.

The majority of the non-tabled seats are turned to face forward. This photo should help;

Bill the seats that don't have fixed tables are rotated. I rode 2172 Friday FC was on the Head End with all seats facing forward except fixed tables. Today on 2165 FC was on the Tail End. Seats were facing direction except fixed tables.
But there are always a pair of seats that are in front of/behind the fixed tables that are facing the wrong way. Sometimes two seats, right? I'm thinking about in the middle of the car I often end up in a single seat facing backwards.

But there are always a pair of seats that are in front of/behind the fixed tables that are facing the wrong way. Sometimes two seats, right? I'm thinking about in the middle of the car I often end up in a single seat facing backwards.
Yes, there is one single seat(no table) facing towards the rear in the photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don'r believe that is true in Acela First Class. Since so many of the seats in F are associated with fixed tables, I do not believe that any seats in F are rotated to face forward as they are in Business Class. The result is that about half of all the seats in Acela F are facing backwards. I'll gladly defer to Alan or anyone else with more experience in F, but that is my recollection from my own trips and other reports.
They certainly do rotate what seats can be rotated at turn-around points, while they are on-board cleaning the trainset. Take this from an LSA who has worked FC twice this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back