Boarding at Different Stops-Sitting Together on 91

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there. My buddy and I are heading to Raleigh on the Silver Star in January. He will board at NYP and I will board at WAS. What's the best way to ensure that we are able to sit together? Whom should he advise that he has a traveling companion boarding down the line? Also, he would like to know if he will be allowed off the train to stretch his legs at Washington during the engine change.

Also, what food are they actually serving on the Silver Star these days? There are rumors of these hot airline-style meal trays in the cafe car. Are they any good, if they even exist? If not, any suggestions of where to pick up provisions for us both near Washington's Union Station?

Thanks for your help!

I would recommend he talk to his Train Attendant in coach and tell him the situation. Most should be accommodating.

He can stretch his legs in Washinfton as long as he remains train side. He can even watch the engine change process. Another stop he can stretch his legs in is Richmond VA.

I can't speak about the food on the train but I would recommend a bar in Raleigh after getting off. Likely cheeper and better quality.

This is my regular route so my info should be current.

Believe it or not, there is a WalMart only 2 blocks from WAS! :eek: I found this by accident.

From the front of the station, go right 1 or 2 blocks, turn right and walk 1 block. Or you can go down the street right next to Union Station 1 block, turn left to the WalMart. It is in a corner building upstairs. (There are escelators and elevators.) It has everything you would find in a WalMart, including prepared food and snacks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Believe it or not, there is a WalMart only 2 blocks from WAS! :eek: I found this by accident.

From the front of the station, go right 1 or 2 blocks, turn right and walk 1 block. Or you can go down the street right next to Union Station 1 block, turn left to the WalMart. It is in a corner building upstairs. (There are escelators and elevators.) It has everything you would find in a WalMart, including prepared food and snacks!
That's so cool! For those looking for it on a map (as I was) - it's on the corner of 1st Street and H Street NW.

That's so cool! For those looking for it on a map (as I was) - it's on the corner of 1st Street and H Street NW.
Note - 1st & H NW, not NE...walk *away* from the streetcar.

Hi there. My buddy and I are heading to Raleigh on the Silver Star in January. He will board at NYP and I will board at WAS. What's the best way to ensure that we are able to sit together? Whom should he advise that he has a traveling companion boarding down the line?

I would recommend he talk to his Train Attendant in coach and tell him the situation. Most should be accommodating.

I wouldn't wait that long. My advice is for you to call the res office and have them cross reference your reservation with the person you're meeting. Have them put it in the special service request so it'll appear on the manifest. This way, the obs and the t&e crew will see it. Once you're on board, you can remind the attendant.

Pretty gutsy. I don't know if I would wander even 2 blocks from the WAS during the engine change. Heck, I will not even leave the platform and go inside WAS itself.

Note - 1st & H NW, not NE...walk *away* from the streetcar.
Isn't that exactly what I put? :huh:

Edit: Whoops, nevermind, I see why this was clarified - the two are very near each other! Sorry... :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a recommendation for a bar. But I can recommend looking for one. Raleigh has some amazing food options. Depending how long you're there and if you have a rent a car go to the Angus Barn. It's expensive and probably needs a reservation but they have an interesting menu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back