Boarding the SWC in Flagstaff

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MainerTrainer

Train Attendant
I have a question about boarding the SWC in Flagstaff. We're heading east so if it's on time, we board around 4:30am. We have a bedroom reserved. Will the bed be made up when we board? We'd like to get a little more sleep before breakfast.

Thanks.

Most likely it will...UNLESS, the room is occupied to Flagstaff (possible, probably not likely) and the SCA needs to make it up when vacated at Flagstaff and prior to your occupancy.

Either way, you should be able to get horizontal when/shortly after you board the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I have boarded eastbound at Flagstaff or Williams it is not made up. What I have done is read for awhile, have breakfast at 6:30, and then sack out until nearing Albuquerque, asking the SCA to make up the bed during breakfast. But that is my routine. The SCA. Should be up and about at FLG, so just ask them to set it up right away so you can get some more rest.

Last time I did it it was 3 hours late and I went straight to breakfast. By the time I got to Chicago I blew my connection and spent the night in a hotel. Despite that, I have high praise for the people I met in Flag, and the crew on the train was excellent. Same as the trip out, but a different SCA. The SCA I had for outbound invited me to her car if I thought her coffee was better, and brought me some of her secret stash of cookies.

Last time I did it it was 3 hours late and I went straight to breakfast. By the time I got to Chicago I blew my connection and spent the night in a hotel. Despite that, I have high praise for the people I met in Flag, and the crew on the train was excellent. Same as the trip out, but a different SCA. The SCA I had for outbound invited me to her car if I thought her coffee was better, and brought me some of her secret stash of cookies.
Did Amtrak pay for the hotel?

Yes, and the cab both ways. It was the Swissotel, which is pretty nice. Unfortunately, the temperature dropped around 15 degrees, and the wind picked up overnight (shocker for Chicago, eh) and I didn't have anything snow appropriate (I was coming back from visiting my sister in Phoenix) Sort of put a damper on my plans for a bit of Chicago sightseeing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back