Book Signing & Lecture

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtabern

Conductor
As some of you know, I recently published my first book. It's called "Outside the Rails: A Rail Route Guide from Chicago to St. Paul". It's a 235 page book which can be used on Amtrak's Hiawatha Service or Empire Builder lines between Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul, MN. The book not only talks about the history of the route -- it also serves as a constant route guide of sites along the way. For example, do you know where to check out the water tower that was used in Ferris Bueller's Day Off? How about a grave of a Milwaukee Road section hand who wanted to be buried right next to the tracks? Or... a "haunted house" that once entertained steam boat passengers going up and down the Mississippi River? Yes, even though Chicago to St. Paul isn't the most exciting strecth of rails in the country... there are a lot of cool things to see and learn. One of the things I am proud about this book is not only is it for us "railfans"... it's for anyone taking a trip on the Empire Builder or Hiawatha because it is more about the scenery and history of towns along the route than the railroad itself.

You can get the book through several places online, including at the Silver Rails Gallery:

http://silverrailsshop.com/railroad-books.html (scroll to the bottom)

Anyhow, after doing an informal book singing aboard the Super Dome in Chicago on National Train Day, I am going to be starting a traveling tour... where I will be making book signing appearances and even doing presentations about the book and the route starting in late summer here.

I did want to announce my next 2 confirmed appearances...

-----------

TRAIN FESTVAL 2011 - Rock Island, IL to Homestead Wye, IA

On board the all-day Iowa City excursion train on SATURDAY, JULY 23, 2011

I will be wondering the train not only selling my first book, but also a special 34 page route guide I wrote just for this day... as well as narrating for passengers in the premium section of the train

-------

LECTURE AND BOOK SIGNING

I will be presenting a 90-minute lecture following by a book signing on WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 10, 2011

Electricians Union Hall

600 W. Washington Blvd.

Downtown Chicago, IL

7:00PN

-------

I am also in negotiations right now with the Illinois Railroad Museum to do 2 book signings this summer... will keep you posted on that.

Come out! Support me!! Your fellow AUF'er!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, what's the big idea calling us a bunch of AUF'ers??? :huh: :blink: :eek: :excl:

On a serious note, congratulations on your publication! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Keep us posted on outlets, signings, etc. It would be great if it was available at CUS, though I'm thinking that might be a tough nut to crack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, what's the big idea calling us a bunch of AUF'ers??? :huh: :blink: :eek: :excl:
At least he didn't call us F'ers!
laugh.gif

Congratulations Robert! I hope we meet some day soon!
smile.gif

Are you going to be in the New York / New Jersey area this summer?

Perhaps you could sell you books on the Cardinal Dome Car later in the year.

Good Luck.

I just added 2 more book signings...

SATURDAY, JULY 2ND and MONDAY, LABOR DAY

10AM-4PM at the Illinois Railroad Museum in Union, IL

If the Cardinal Dome runs again (I hear that might be a big "if")... I'll be on atleast 1 trip of it

Back