Booking a Room between Washington and New York

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maglev

Conductor
I thought with some recent changes, Amtrak was now selling Roomettes and Bedrooms between New York and Washington, but today was unable to find anything from WAS nor ALX for a date in March and a date in November. Only the Regional, Acela, Carolinian and Palmetto are shown. Is it impossible to book this run on the long-distance trains?

Is it impossible to book this run on the long-distance trains?
Yes it is. The secret is found in the timetables with the code D next to the arrival time:

• D stands for stops only to discharge passengers which is found for all stations from FBG to NYP for Northbound Silver Service (you can't get on at those stations)

The old paper timetables used to have R by that first group of Northern stations for the Southbound Silvers, but not the current online timetables. However, the Southern group of stations for the Silvers did and still does have both the D and R codes.

Last edited:
This got confusing real fast! o_O

Looks like you can take any of the five Southbound LD trains (as PVD said) between any of the stops from NYP down to WAS but only the PALM or SS Northbound. At least on the one day I checked in March. At least today, the day I checked. Won't vouch for any of the other 320+ possible dates of travel. Or what the situation will be like if you check next week.

Some of the LD trains carry local passengers southbound between NYP & WAS, and some do not. (Not all of them do. I think the Star does not, while the Meteor does for example.)
All the LD's south/westbound now carry local passengers between New York and Washington - Cardinal, Crescent, both the Silvers.

Can you still use the NYP to Alexandria "Loophole"to get a Roomette and a Meal @ a Low Bucket and get off in WAS like several AUers used to do?

Just for fun, I just tried it, Jim (both NYP to ALX and PHL to ALX). I picked a random date (Jan. 15). And the answer seems to be that Amtrak caught onto that one--the roomettes aren't any cheaper going to ALX than if you went to WAS. And at the prices they want, and with no real dining car meals anymore, you might as well just take Acela FC to WAS and get a decent meal.

On the other hand, if for some reason (I can't think of one), someone should wish to go the half-hour ride from Trenton to Philly on Jan. 15, you can get the same saver fare ($27) on the Crescent that is available on the more local train (the Keystone). But not on the Silvers--they start above $50.

Just for fun, I just tried it, Jim (both NYP to ALX and PHL to ALX). I picked a random date (Jan. 15). And the answer seems to be that Amtrak caught onto that one--the roomettes aren't any cheaper going to ALX than if you went to WAS. And at the prices they want, and with no real dining car meals anymore, you might as well just take Acela FC to WAS and get a decent meal.

On the other hand, if for some reason (I can't think of one), someone should wish to go the half-hour ride from Trenton to Philly on Jan. 15, you can get the same saver fare ($27) on the Crescent that is available on the more local train (the Keystone). But not on the Silvers--they start above $50.
Thanks Patty, it's getting pricey to feed our addiction!:eek:

Looking forward to seeing you on the Eagle/Sunset on the way to the Gathering in San Diego!

Happy 2020 and Happy Rails!:)

I was asking for a cousin who might want to take a long-distance trip sometime. I suggested she try a Roomette out for size on a short trip to see if she and her husband would be comfortable for an overnight trip. So it looks like they can book the Meteor. Would that include a contemporary meal?

I was asking for a cousin who might want to take a long-distance trip sometime. I suggested she try a Roomette out for size on a short trip to see if she and her husband would be comfortable for an overnight trip. So it looks like they can book the Meteor. Would that include a contemporary meal?
Yes, all Eastern LD Trains have these ******* things!:mad::(

I was looking up a BAL to WAS trip last night for this morning. ( I am on 183 right now.) They were selling rooms for the Star, the Cescent, and the Meteor for $140 to $160. (Normal coach fare is about $20.) When I checked this morning, rooms on the Star were sold out, but you could still buy coach seats.

Back