Booking tickets for Vermonter - where to have a layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeskierInVT

Lead Service Attendant
Hey all,

The Vermonter for NYP-WAB next Wednesday is understandably sold out, but I can board north of NHV with a layover (similar to breaking up a trip for extra AGR points). The question is, which station between NHV-SPG would be best to spend a 5 hour layover at?

This is the only itinerary that works:

190 NYP-NHV

490 NHV-(anywhere WFD/points north)

56 ___-WAB

Has anyone spent any time at Wallingford, Meriden, Berlin, Hartford, or Springfield? I frequently break trips up in HFD but have never had more than an hour there, and would not really want to spend five hours there. I'm thinking safety, pedestrian friendly, things to see/do/eat close by, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Booked NYP-NHV on 190, NHV-HFD on 490, and HFD-WAB on 56 in business class hoping to get a single seat in the 2x1.

For my return trip, the through Vermonter was sold out so I did a similar itinerary. I had to stop at NRO since there was no reasonable layover for Sunday 11/30. Booked 57 WAB-HFD, 465 HFD-NHV and 165 NHV-NRO. 165 was sold out after NRO, the next Amtrak to NYP is nearly 3 hours later so... I'll take Metro North into NYC to connect to LIRR.

Not the end of the world, just a 4am LIRR train into Penn next Wednesday :(

If Wallingford or Meriden to SAB is still avalible, you could avoid the layover and take Metro-North to New Haven, to local bus route (CT Transit) Route C. It runs hourly and isn't that bad a ride, I've taken it on point runs before.

Also, aren't you in Stoney Brook? have you thought of taking the ferry across the Sound from Port Jefferson to Bridgeport? The ferry in Bridgeport is half a block from the train station. An extremely easy transfer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup! I am at Stony Brook. The problem with taking the ferry and connecting in Bridgeport is the last leg from the ferry terminal in Port Jeff to Stony Brook. There is nowhere for me to leave my car in Port Jeff (for the ferry, short term parking is available), no buses in the early morning or on Sunday, and the walk to the Port Jeff LIRR station is a long (nearly 2 mile) walk up a steep hill with no sidewalks for a portion (with no sidewalks at all when there is snow on the ground since they aren't plowed).

It's just easier (usually) and often cheaper to go into Penn via the LIRR and connect to Amtrak there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back