Booking tickets to Grand Canyon via Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScouseAndy

Lead Service Attendant
I have just discovered I can book tickets via the Amtrak website all the way thru to Grand Canyon for an additional $51 per way compared to tickets to Williams, but checking the Grand Canyon Railway Website the cost for a coach class ticket booked direct is just $39.50 each way (or Pulman Class just $32.50.

Does anyone know which class I would be traveling if booked via Amtrak (the website states Coach Class but I dont know if thats just a default on the webpage) and let me know if there would be any advantage of booking via Amtrak and paying the extra compared to booking direct?

Would this be classed as a guaranteed connection so should the Amtrak train be delays sufficently for me to miss the departure of the train from Williams that Amtrak would pay for alternative transport to the South Rim or (less likely) put me up in accommodation in Williams over night to get the next day train?

Hi Andy, I was surprised to see that one could book through to the Grand Canyon on Amtrak!

I guess you would be allocated the cheapest seat if booking via the Amtrak site. As you have a 10 hour layover travelling westwards, overnight at Williams, I imagine delays should not be an issue. Eastbound could be more of an issue I guess, but it is a fairly short jaunt from LAX, so again delays should not be much?

I think that if you book a "through" journey on one ticket, Amtrak would have some liability to get you to the destination, but not sure.

For myself, I would probably try to arrive the day before and enjoy the Williams environment, and just book the Canyon trip seperately.

(There are some cheap motels in Williams, if the "railroad" hotel is expensive. )

AU member "Greatcats", a former Canyon Park Ranger, gave me a superb tour of the South Rim, and several other parks in the area. You may care to message him for more info on the area?

When are you visiting the USA?

All the best,

Ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the booking to the Grand Canyon may be via a bus from Flagstaff, NOT via the GCRR from Williams!

Are you aware that the GCRR only departs Williams in the morning while the westbound Southwest Chief only arrives in the evening? Thus, you will need to stay over in Williams when coming from the east, and again if returning eastbound (as the SWC only departs in the morning).

I think the booking to the Grand Canyon may be via a bus from Flagstaff, NOT via the GCRR from Williams!

Are you aware that the GCRR only departs Williams in the morning while the westbound Southwest Chief only arrives in the evening? Thus, you will need to stay over in Williams when coming from the east, and again if returning eastbound (as the SWC only departs in the morning).
Both options come up depending on the destination enter, Grand Canyon Bus Stop & Grand Canyon.

I'm thinking along the lines of going to the Rim but train and grabbing the bus to Flagstaff back to give us more time there.

Ed- we are currently hoping for Easter 2018 but the way the £ is falling against every known currency every time our gracious PM opens her mouth it may have to be pushed back.

Brexit is really hurting us :(

You have a good while yet to refine your plan, I tend to suddenly decide to go abroad in a week or two's time!

Yes, post Brexit, not a good time to be buying foreign currency. I remember the good old days of $1.80 - $2.00 to the £. :(

It will only get worse, methinks.

Ed.

Yep - original plan was to Visit this Sept as our honeymoon, but due to the £ value it's getting pushed back and back :( I work in travel insurance sales and rely on commissions but people just arent going on holiday and so not buying travel insurance and those who are are buying single country single trip policies rather than annual policies where the big commissions are :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Both options come up depending on the destination enter, Grand Canyon Bus Stop & Grand Canyon.

I'm thinking along the lines of going to the Rim but train and grabbing the bus to Flagstaff back to give us more time there.

Ed- we are currently hoping for Easter 2018 but the way the £ is falling against every known currency every time our gracious PM opens her mouth it may have to be pushed back.

Brexit is really hurting us :(
Availability depends on the origin. From Emeryville, I can book via the GCRR. It's San Joaquin, a bus segment, Southwest Chief, and GCRR. I can't get the bus to the GC bus stop to show up. I guess it may be possible with a multi-city booking.

Both are possible from Los Angeles.

I haven't tried to book via the Amtrak website, but I did ride the Grand Canyon Railroad with my father in 2007 (we were on a driving trip). One thing I would mention: GCRR's "coach class" uses (or at least did in 2007) converted commuter cars with Torquemada seats. They'd be fine for a half-hour commute, but for a two-plus hour one-way trip with no lounge car or such to visit...not again. I asked and we got upgraded for the return trip. After that experience, GCRR's "first class" (which is roughly equivalent to regular Amtrak long-haul coach seating in terms of seat pitch and comfort) is the lowest class of service which I would seriously consider booking were I to make the trip again.

Five years ago (this week), my wife and I traveled to the Grand Canyon via Amtrak and the Grand Canyon Railway. Amtrak to Williams Junction from LA was booked by myself separate from the Grand Canyon Railway. Also reserved through Amtrak was the GCRY shuttle from WMJ to Williams itself.

I booked the GCRY through AAA...kinda "al-la-cart" as we also booked two nights in a Bright Angel Lodge cabin close to the rim instead of the usual GCRY accommodations. On the train, we traveled in the deluxe parlour car with the open platform which we had to ourselves. The trip also included the usual night in Williams and the meal vouchers.

Back