border patrol on LSL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this thread has been going on for just short of thirteen months, methinks we need a member who is a lawyer with immigration and constitution expertise to provide a researched legal opinion, citing applicable laws, regulations, and court opinions, etc. as well as listing his credentials. Pro bono, of course! :giggle:

I have noticed that people, when traveling, seem to be uncomfortable around those that look "different" than them, whether its Color of Skin, Clothing, Language, Customs etc. Friends in the Govt. and LE tell me that there are many more "tips" and "reports" about Suspicious Persons involving these "different" people, but maybe this is just latent Racism, Ignorance or Paranoia brought about by Right Wing Politicians and Sensationalist Media! :(
So true! Like the time at Jacksonville, the Silver Star was held for 6 or 7 hours based on a call from someone with overactive imagination on the train to 911 reporting suspicious activity because 6 Asian looking men were being moved from one car to another by a Hispanic CA to make room for a large group boarding at JAX. Go figure. And they called out the cavalry without bothering to ask the train crew if they were actually being hijacked to be run into the Amshack at Jacksonville.

Anyway, we sat around JAX station gouging on Fire Department and Amtrak provided coffee and doughnuts all night while the DHS/Local Police/whoever else together with what looked like a platoon of dogs, who mostly sat around wagging their tails, did god knows what. After 6 hours they detached the last car of the train, (maybe because it was the easiest to detach, who knows?) and let the rest of the train and everyone on it including the 6 Asian looking men and the Hispanic CA and the large group that joined the train at JAX proceed on their journey, albeit a little more cozily since they had to fit everyone in one less Coach!!! I went back to my roomette and went to sleep only to wake up at lunchtime. Didn't need breakfast after all those doughnuts :) . We got into Newark at 11pm.

No officer of any organization/agency can detain someone for maintaining his or her silence, not answering a question, or without probable cause. Bottom line.
I wouldn't suggest trying that with the border patrol. They can!

They have probable cause, they suspect you're not here legally. So they can detain you until your status can be determined.
The Border Patrol is absolutely not immune to any of what I listed above. Our rights do not change depending on what agency may be questioning us. The fifth amendment still applies. The same goes for answering a police officer during a traffic stop. While I have no reason not to display my ID to a BP officer, I would have no issue with not answering questions from a BP officer. It is well documented that BP officers simply move on to other passengers in the car if a given passenger does not say a word to any question asked. They may try and flex their muscles a bit, but at the end of the day, they know they can't force you to say anything.
Bob,

When you enter the US from a foreign country, you have no constitutional rights until it is determined that you are indeed a legal resident of the US and entitled to those rights. Your only rights those granted under the Geneva Convention. The US has determined that if you are within 100 miles of the US, then it is the same as if you are crossing the border. I quote:

The United States Supreme Court ruled that Border Patrol agents may stop a vehicle at fixed checkpoints for brief questioning of its occupants even if there is no reason to believe that the particular vehicle contains illegal aliens.[4] The Court further held that Border Patrol agents "have wide discretion" to refer motorists selectively to a secondary inspection area for additional brief questioning.
While this cite happens to refer to private cars, please note the "brief questioning" part of that cite. Failure to answer would constitute reasonable suspicion that you are not here legally and therefore they would be allowed under US law to detain you until such time as it can be confirmed by other means that you are indeed in the US legally. Please flip to page #10 of this GAO report for the cite.
Alan,

Whether or not you’re a citizen, and whether or not you happen to be within 100 miles of a border, you have rights under the United States Constitution. The Fifth Amendment gives every person the right to remain silent and the right not to answer questions asked by a police officer or other government agent, no matter what nationality they may look to be. Sure, BP can stop a vehicle at fixed checkpoints for brief questioning, but this absolutely does not mean a person's rights are suddenly void. That person still has a constitutional right to maintain his or her silence, as it is decidedly not a crime to not answer questions. Only a judge can make a person legally obligated to speak.
Well Bob, I'm not going to debate this with you further, but I highly suggest that you don't try that tactic as the Supreme Court has essentially decided that you are wrong. Yes, you're technically correct that you don't have to answer. But doing so gives them probably cause to detain you since they will have to verify by other means that you belong in this country. So unless you don't want to go where you wanted to go on your original schedule, I wouldn't recommend silence. If you don't like that please feel free to take it up with the Supreme Court; but I wouldn't hold my breath as they've already ruled against you.

No officer of any organization/agency can detain someone for maintaining his or her silence, not answering a question, or without probable cause. Bottom line.
I wouldn't suggest trying that with the border patrol. They can!

They have probable cause, they suspect you're not here legally. So they can detain you until your status can be determined.
The Border Patrol is absolutely not immune to any of what I listed above. Our rights do not change depending on what agency may be questioning us. The fifth amendment still applies. The same goes for answering a police officer during a traffic stop. While I have no reason not to display my ID to a BP officer, I would have no issue with not answering questions from a BP officer. It is well documented that BP officers simply move on to other passengers in the car if a given passenger does not say a word to any question asked. They may try and flex their muscles a bit, but at the end of the day, they know they can't force you to say anything.
Bob,

When you enter the US from a foreign country, you have no constitutional rights until it is determined that you are indeed a legal resident of the US and entitled to those rights. Your only rights those granted under the Geneva Convention. The US has determined that if you are within 100 miles of the US, then it is the same as if you are crossing the border. I quote:

The United States Supreme Court ruled that Border Patrol agents may stop a vehicle at fixed checkpoints for brief questioning of its occupants even if there is no reason to believe that the particular vehicle contains illegal aliens.[4] The Court further held that Border Patrol agents "have wide discretion" to refer motorists selectively to a secondary inspection area for additional brief questioning.
While this cite happens to refer to private cars, please note the "brief questioning" part of that cite. Failure to answer would constitute reasonable suspicion that you are not here legally and therefore they would be allowed under US law to detain you until such time as it can be confirmed by other means that you are indeed in the US legally. Please flip to page #10 of this GAO report for the cite.
Alan,

Whether or not you're a citizen, and whether or not you happen to be within 100 miles of a border, you have rights under the United States Constitution. The Fifth Amendment gives every person the right to remain silent and the right not to answer questions asked by a police officer or other government agent, no matter what nationality they may look to be. Sure, BP can stop a vehicle at fixed checkpoints for brief questioning, but this absolutely does not mean a person's rights are suddenly void. That person still has a constitutional right to maintain his or her silence, as it is decidedly not a crime to not answer questions. Only a judge can make a person legally obligated to speak.
As Alan tried to tell you, you can remain silent, but you can, and probably will be detained until such time as your nationality can ascertained. The Supreme Court has agreed to this and it is the constitutional law of the land until and if the Supreme Court decides to change it. I wouldn't hold my breath and would certainly not want to test it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Bob, I'm not going to debate this with you further, but I highly suggest that you don't try that tactic as the Supreme Court has essentially decided that you are wrong. Yes, you're technically correct that you don't have to answer. But doing so gives them probably cause to detain you since they will have to verify by other means that you belong in this country. So unless you don't want to go where you wanted to go on your original schedule, I wouldn't recommend silence. If you don't like that please feel free to take it up with the Supreme Court; but I wouldn't hold my breath as they've already ruled against you.
Neither will I. You are talking about two very different things here - the right to silence, and the fact that said silence may result in detention. I never argued against the second part of that, although there have been cases when BP agents onboard the LSL have simply moved on to other passengers if a previous passenger doesn't answer the officer's questions. The right to silence has not been decided against by the Supreme Court. Don't confuse the two. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Since this thread has been going on for just short of thirteen months, methinks we need a member who is a lawyer with immigration and constitution expertise to provide a researched legal opinion, citing applicable laws, regulations, and court opinions, etc. as well as listing his credentials. Pro bono, of course! :giggle:
Even at pro-bono y'all still couldn't afford my fee. :lol:

Neither will I. You are talking about two very different things here - the right to silence, and the fact that said silence may result in detention. I never argued against the second part of that, although there have been cases when BP agents onboard the LSL have simply moved on to other passengers if a previous passenger doesn't answer the officer's questions. The right to silence has not been decided against by the Supreme Court. Don't confuse the two. :cool:
It's ok you confused reasonable suspicion and probable cause (which is common). An agent needs "reasonable suspicion" to stop you but "probable cause" to detain you and the 5th Amendment right against self-incrimination generally doesn't kick in until there's a "custodial interrogation." :cool:

OK, let's get down to earth here. AlanB and others aren't confused; they're making the practical point that's it's probably not advisable to assert your right to silence if it's possibly going to lead to detention (unless, of course, you are in the country illegally).

It's ok you confused reasonable suspicion and probable cause (which is common). An agent needs "reasonable suspicion" to stop you but "probable cause" to detain you and the 5th Amendment right against self-incrimination generally doesn't kick in until there's a "custodial interrogation." :cool:
A BP agent at a fixed checkpoint can stop a vehicle even without reasonable suspicion. A BP agent that's part of what's called a roving (mobile) checkpoint can't do that, however.

Anyway, enough of this.

OK, let's get down to earth here. AlanB and others aren't confused; they're making the practical point that's it's probably not advisable to assert your right to silence if it's possibly going to lead to detention (unless, of course, you are in the country illegally).
Specially in that case one would probably want to spin out a believable yarn as convincingly as possible rather than trying to assert right to silence :lol:

A BP agent at a fixed checkpoint can stop a vehicle even without reasonable suspicion. A BP agent that's part of what's called a roving (mobile) checkpoint can't do that, however.

Anyway, enough of this.
Not true and that is what you are probably confusing. ANYWHERE within 100 miles of the border, fixed or mobile they legally can and will stop you. See SCOTUS rulings.

Anyway, enough of this.
Not true and that is what you are probably confusing. ANYWHERE within 100 miles of the border, fixed or mobile they legally can and will stop you. See SCOTUS rulings.
See the bottom of page 18/top of 19 here for an official report on the contrary.

OK, so I think I found what you're talking about at the end of page 10:

Border Patrol agents at checkpoints have legal authority that agents do not have when patrolling areas away from the border. The United States Supreme Court ruled that Border Patrol agents may stop a vehicle at fixed checkpoints for brief questioning of its occupants even if there is no reason to believe that the particular vehicle contains illegal aliens.10 The Court further held that Border Patrol agents “have wide discretion” to refer motorists selectively to a secondary inspection area for additional brief questioning.11 In contrast, the Supreme Court held that Border Patrol agents on roving patrol may stop a vehicle only if they have reasonable suspicion that the vehicle contains aliens who may be illegally in the United States—a higher threshold for stopping and questioning motorists than at checkpoints.12 The constitutional threshold for searching a vehicle is the same, however, and must be supported by either consent or probable cause, whether in the context of a roving patrol or a checkpoint search.13
I think that Lee's claim is that they can stop you when fixed or mobile with reasonable suspicion, which is proved correct by this report. You are correct in saying that they can stop you without reasonable suspicion at a fixed checkpoint, but I don't see Lee making that claim anywhere.

Anyway, enough of this.
Especially considering you never mentioned anything about checkpoints which wasn't the issue I was writing on. I was however, writing on the right to silence under the 5th Amendment and when it kicks in. Generally it does so upon what is known as a "custodial interrogation." (i.e., that point when you are not "free to leave.")

Also, per the report you quote on page 9, a mobile or "tactical" checkpoint is still operated at a fixed location. Checkpoints are considered "fixed" whether tactical or permanent.

As for agents on roving patrol, they must have reasonable suspicion to stop someone and probable cause to search the same as in normal criminal procedure law. Generally speaking a stop using reasonable suspicion can lead to finding the necessary probable cause.

Thus, at a checkpoint no need for reasonable suspicion to stop. On patrol, normal criminal procedure law applies.

Based on CBP's definition of a checkpoint, i.e. operated at a fixed location, a reasonable person would be led to believe that the agents boarding the LSL are "on patrol" and not operating at a checkpoint. Therefore, it the normal criminal procedure law applies there.

That said the question becomes are the agents working the LSL on patrol or operating a checkpoint. I believe it is the former.

Anyway, the whole federal interrogation has soured me on Amtrak. Armed bullies with dogs and guns shining flashlights in your face, and more of them waiting to corral you through a fenced area to be interrogated at your destination. I liked Amtrak, too. But I'm gonna drive or stay home. I was going to book a trip out west, but just can't bring myself to do it.

DJ,

You're not safe driving either. Pick the wrong road on the wrong day and you'll be going through a check point. It's happened to me a couple of times on I-87 in New York State in the Lake Placid area.

It's your choice, but I wouldn't let the extraordinarily low possibility of a few minutes of discomfort dissuade me from taking a trip.
I do 15 to 20 thousand miles on Amtrak and in the last 5 years I have been checked only twice personally (ignoring border crossing checks of course). Both times it consisted of asking me - oddly enough - where I was born, and then even more oddly, when I said India, they did not ask me anything further!!! I swear sometimes I cannot make any sense of what they do! I of course had my handy dandy US passport handy, but they didn't want to know what country I was a citizen of and whether I was here legally or illegally or just passing through or what. Outside that 5 year window once at Rochester they did the whole 9 yards of checking papers soviet style. That was closer to 9/11.

There have been other times when the train I was on was checked, but on those occasions I was not personally checked. This includes the 6 hour donut and coffee fest in Jacksonville while what appeared to be a platoon of DHS and other assorted law enforcement and a dozen dogs sat around wagging their tails most of the time as they supposedly looked for terrorists on Silver Star. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back