Boston to Emeryville - how to make it work?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manlymatt83

Train Attendant
Hi all,

I have a certain limited time to get to Emeryville, CA when I begin my trip. There are a few options I'm thinking of, and I wanted to know if anyone had advice. I've never taken Amtrak across the country, but was planning on doing:

Boston -> Chicago in coach on day 1

one full overnight in a Chicago hotel

Chicago -> Denver

two days in Denver

Denver -> Emeryville

The only negative to this idea is the two days in Denver, as I was hoping I could spend more time there. I like Colorado a lot. The only reason I was going to do the overnight in Chicago on the way out is to catch up on sleep after the 24 hour lake shore limited ride, but I was also thinking of another option:

Boston -> Denver direct

three days in Denver

Denver -> Emeryville

And if that's going to be too much to do all at once (if I don't sleep the first night, I'll definitely not be looking forward to not sleeping the second night), I can either upgrade to a sleeper from Boston to Chicago, or from Chicago to Denver. Both are reasonably priced, but the Boston -> Chicago upgrade is actually cheaper right now. Does anyone here sleep better if they are in a sleeper vs. in regular coach, and if you had the choice, would you rather have a sleeper from Boston -> Chicago or Chicago -> Denver?

My other option, which may be the best, is to do my original plan, except take the train from Chicago -> LA on the Southwest Chief, since I don't really have an urge to stop anywhere along that route. Maybe Flagstaff for a night, but that would still get me to Emeryville early. Then I could do Denver on my way home. But I don't want to be greedy - Denver is the most important place for me to stop, and if I grow tired on my way back, I may just want to head straight home, and that won't accomplish anything!

So any thoughts? My gut is telling me that if I can avoid that overnight in Chicago, I should. But then which leg should I upgrade to the sleeper on? Or should I take both coach?

Thanks!

Since you want to get off at Denver anyway, you know you'll get sleep there. If your goal is to spend some time in Chicago, then I'd save the sleeper for the Den-Emy leg. BUT, it sounds like you want to spend your time in Denver, so I'd personally get the sleeper from BOS-CHI (one rate I saw for a roomette was $308 - not too bad for 3 meals and a bed, make the Chicago transfer, and then find a hotel you can check into early in DEN, get a nap & shower, and enjoy the nightlife until you're ready to leave a couple days later.

I thought this would have been a good opportunity to buy the 15-day rail pass, but it doesn't seem like you're penalized for for the stopover in DEN - $193 for the rail portion of the whole trip (at least on 10/22 which is the date I looked at) vs $389 for the rail pass. Heck, you can even make your return for almost a wash.

Enjoy your trip!

Since you want to get off at Denver anyway, you know you'll get sleep there. If your goal is to spend some time in Chicago, then I'd save the sleeper for the Den-Emy leg. BUT, it sounds like you want to spend your time in Denver, so I'd personally get the sleeper from BOS-CHI (one rate I saw for a roomette was $308 - not too bad for 3 meals and a bed, make the Chicago transfer, and then find a hotel you can check into early in DEN, get a nap & shower, and enjoy the nightlife until you're ready to leave a couple days later.
I thought this would have been a good opportunity to buy the 15-day rail pass, but it doesn't seem like you're penalized for for the stopover in DEN - $193 for the rail portion of the whole trip (at least on 10/22 which is the date I looked at) vs $389 for the rail pass. Heck, you can even make your return for almost a wash.

Enjoy your trip!
Hi Venture,

Well, I'm definitely getting the 15 day rail pass (actually, most likely the 30 day), because my trip takes me up to Seattle as well to visit a friend. My itinerary is about 17 days now - go figure! But I'm still going to get the 30 day because, even though it's cheaper to just buy my return ticket home vs paying the extra for the 30 day, when I get home I'll have 4 segments left and 13 days - so I'm thinking I'll take a trip down to DC or something (from what I understand, with the rail pass you can do any segment once, so a trip to DC would count even though its on the northeast corridor).

Also, I'm still trying to decide how to come home. I'm going to be in the Portland/Seattle area when I'm done, so I'm either going to take the Empire Builder home, or jet South and take the Southwest Chief back. Which one is nicer/prettier (and of course,which one is better done in coach, as I'll only most likely get sleepers between CHI and BOS.

So you really think getting the sleeper on the LSL is the better of the two ideas?

It is entirely possible that if you do not sleep the first night, you will sleep from then on. That, at least, is how it happens for me. I am too excited and keyed up to sleep the first tnight.

But of course that is kind of a dead end remark since you cannot know in advance whether you will sleep or not.

Enjoy your trip!
Hi Venture,

Well, I'm definitely getting the 15 day rail pass (actually, most likely the 30 day), because my trip takes me up to Seattle as well to visit a friend. My itinerary is about 17 days now - go figure! But I'm still going to get the 30 day because, even though it's cheaper to just buy my return ticket home vs paying the extra for the 30 day, when I get home I'll have 4 segments left and 13 days - so I'm thinking I'll take a trip down to DC or something (from what I understand, with the rail pass you can do any segment once, so a trip to DC would count even though its on the northeast corridor).

Also, I'm still trying to decide how to come home. I'm going to be in the Portland/Seattle area when I'm done, so I'm either going to take the Empire Builder home, or jet South and take the Southwest Chief back. Which one is nicer/prettier (and of course,which one is better done in coach, as I'll only most likely get sleepers between CHI and BOS.

So you really think getting the sleeper on the LSL is the better of the two ideas?
Actually you can do up to 4 segments on the same route (ie BOS-NYP/NYP-WAS/WAS-NYP/NYP-BOS as an example)so the NE corridor is a good cantidate for your 4 remaining segments! (you can also upgrade to Business class on some trains for a few $,its worth it!)

Definitely the Empire Builder is a better ride but the SWC is a good trip too! If $$$ is a factor for your trip perhaps you can get a low bucket roomette from SEA-CHI, its $216 for 2 nights with all meals which beats the BOS/CHI price! The LSL BOS-CHI is not that hard a trip in coach, its an overnite trip! Also why fly if you want to go South to LAX, the Coast Starlight is a great trip from the Bay Area to LAX, has the PPC, is a day trip, includes 3 meals etc.

If you have the time use your 4 segments on the West Coast to include the CS, its the best of both worlds! Check it out! (and double points this fall dont hurt! If you use the AGR MC you get even more points!!) :)

Also, I'm still trying to decide how to come home. I'm going to be in the Portland/Seattle area when I'm done, so I'm either going to take the Empire Builder home, or jet South and take the Southwest Chief back. Which one is nicer/prettier ...
I would assume that the EB is much prettier than the SWC. OTOH, if you like deserts ...

Also, I'm still trying to decide how to come home. I'm going to be in the Portland/Seattle area when I'm done, so I'm either going to take the Empire Builder home, or jet South and take the Southwest Chief back. Which one is nicer/prettier ...
I would assume that the EB is much prettier than the SWC. OTOH, if you like deserts ...
Oh wow! I always thought the SWC would be the prettier of the two. I'll be sad if I don't get to see Flagstaff again (I love a restaurant there and wouldn't have minded stopping for a day). I wouldn't actually "Jet" south - I was going to take the train :) I just used that word.

Alright, well looks like since I'm going to be in Seattle already, it would be stupid to go South just to take the SWC to Chicago. Looks like I'll take the Empire Builder!

The LSL (Boston-Chicago) in coach is really not that bad. I've done it many times - the latest in March 2009. And since you're stopping in Denver, that 2nd portion may be a waste of money. But the biggest advantage of having a sleeper either to or from Chicago is the ability to use the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago! (One of the advantages is the ability to store your luggage for free!) Also, with the LSL arriving in the morning and the California Zephyr departing mid-afternoon, I personally think 6-7 hours is a safe enough layover. It's up to you, but I would save the cost of the hotel (unless you have a reason to stop in Chicago), and spend that money on a roomette. (Besides, if you book BOS-DEN, and if for some reason the LSL was so late that you miss the connection, because the connection, you may end up staying in Chicago - and Amtrak would pay for the hotel! ;) )

With all that in mind, if you do decide to get a roomette, I would chose the BOS-CHI segment. Besides using the Metropolitan Lounge in CHI, you could also use the Club Acela in BOS AND you get 3 included meals in the price (which may save you $30-$40 more)! ;)

Oh wow! I always thought the SWC would be the prettier of the two. I'll be sad if I don't get to see Flagstaff again (I love a restaurant there and wouldn't have minded stopping for a day). I wouldn't actually "Jet" south - I was going to take the train :) I just used that word.

Alright, well looks like since I'm going to be in Seattle already, it would be stupid to go South just to take the SWC to Chicago. Looks like I'll take the Empire Builder!
Having ridden both, the SWC is more consistently pretty with running through New Mexico passes (Raton, Glorietta) and the red cliffs, while the EB has some much more dramatic segments (Marias Pass, Stevens Pass), but also more long stretches of very drab scenery (Montana east of Cut Bank, North Dakota).

My own preference is the Southwest Chief.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: )Since the EB is my current favorite (1A is the CS), Ill find out when I ride the Chief this fall, gonna go both ways CHI-LAX-CHI so will get to compare, as the traveler says any train is a good train (well, the poor Sunset Ltd. barely qualifies!) Im familiar with the ALB and Flagstaff areas, cant wait to see the rest, bet its spectacular in the snow! :) :) :)

The LSL (Boston-Chicago) in coach is really not that bad. I've done it many times - the latest in March 2009. And since you're stopping in Denver, that 2nd portion may be a waste of money. But the biggest advantage of having a sleeper either to or from Chicago is the ability to use the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago! (One of the advantages is the ability to store your luggage for free!) Also, with the LSL arriving in the morning and the California Zephyr departing mid-afternoon, I personally think 6-7 hours is a safe enough layover. It's up to you, but I would save the cost of the hotel (unless you have a reason to stop in Chicago), and spend that money on a roomette. (Besides, if you book BOS-DEN, and if for some reason the LSL was so late that you miss the connection, because the connection, you may end up staying in Chicago - and Amtrak would pay for the hotel! ;) )
With all that in mind, if you do decide to get a roomette, I would chose the BOS-CHI segment. Besides using the Metropolitan Lounge in CHI, you could also use the Club Acela in BOS AND you get 3 included meals in the price (which may save you $30-$40 more)! ;)
Thanks for the post. I'm close to SELECT PLUS (though I don't have my new membership card yet), and I think that gives me access to those clubs anyway, but I need to check. Either way, that sounds great! So if I buy a sleeper on the LSL for the 24 hour journey, I can arrive in Chicago "hopefully" well rested, store my luggage, maybe go to a gym in Chicago or go get some food/walk around, and then come back and get my stuff, and just do coach on the California Zephyr? They will let me use the metropolitan lounge in Chicago even though I only had the sleeper from Boston to Chicago and not from Chicago to Denver?

Also, is there any difference between coach seating on the LSL vs. the Zephyr? I know they are different train sets.

As long as you have a sleeper either to or from a city, you're entitled to use the Club Acela or Metropolitan Lounge in that city - if you have a same day sleeper ticket.

Also, is there any difference between coach seating on the LSL vs. the Zephyr? I know they are different train sets.
Big difference! The LSL is single level Amfleet cars, while the CZ is bi-level Superliner cars. The CZ has a Sightseer Lounge car and Diner, while the LSL does not and has a diner-lite car (although that may change to a full diner soon).

Since you have a same day sleeper ticket for BOS-CHI, no problem on using the lounges! Whether they make you board with the cattle call coach crowd in CHI is another story, the gate ****s and lounge bosses have gotten bad reviews here lately, POSSIBLY you can board the CZ from the lounge, go to your coach but it will depend as the traveler has said!

Big difference in Superliners on the CZ (two level cars) and a sight seer lounge car/real diner vs. a single level coach and no lounge on the LSL with a diner/light, hopefully soon a real diner again!The Superliner coaches are much more comfortable IMHO!

If you are Select plus theyll probably give you better treatment in the CHI lounge but as we say, it depends on who is there that day? Lots to do in CHI of course, check out all the millions of posts and you can always PM members that know Chicago well! Have a great trip!

Hostelling International in Chicago will cost you $35 for a bunkbed to get a good nights sleep. Its 9 blocks from Union Station, free breakfast, free tours lots of FREE, FREE, FREE stuff!

Thanks all. So it sounds like I should do the sleeper from Boston to Chicago, and then coach from Chicago to Denver... though perhaps I'll spend the money and get the sleeper from Denver to Emeryville, but I'll see if it's sold out or not.

Is boarding the train in Chicago really that bad? The Amtrak people have told me that the trains are only about 30% full right now (the ones I'm taking).

Thanks all. So it sounds like I should do the sleeper from Boston to Chicago, and then coach from Chicago to Denver... though perhaps I'll spend the money and get the sleeper from Denver to Emeryville, but I'll see if it's sold out or not.
Is boarding the train in Chicago really that bad? The Amtrak people have told me that the trains are only about 30% full right now (the ones I'm taking).
Are you still thinking of riding from SEA-CHI on the EB?ow bucket roomettes are $216, which is a deal for 2 nights with all meals on a great train! The CZ can be pricey, the thing about CHI is that several LD trains arrive/leave in the same window plus all the commuters that pass through, the lounge isnt that big and it can get crowded and hectic! Also there are A FEW staff there that think they are Marine Drill Sgts. but hopefully you wont get those!

If its a matter of $$$ for sleepers compare, Id rather put the $$ for sleepers into the Western, two night trains as opposed to 1 night on the LSL which, as the OPs have said, isnt that hard an overnight ride! Check it out on amtrak.com/compare prices/times etc. Id skip spending the night in Denver, use your time in Calif and the NW, if youre not going for winter sports Denver is just another big town with pretty mountains in the distance IMHO!! :lol:

Thanks for the post. I'm close to SELECT PLUS (though I don't have my new membership card yet), and I think that gives me access to those clubs anyway, but I need to check.
Yes, Select Plus will get you into all the lounges and clubs. And if you qualify before you leave on your trip and haven't yet received your official plastic card, you can get them to send you an temporary card via email that you can print out and bring with you.

Alright all. Time to be honest with myself. Here's my dilemma. I really want to take this cross country Amtrak trip, but I'm really stressed out. My sister is getting married in SFO (which is why I'm going to begin with), and this is a really stressful time in my life - I'm going through a break up, I've gained weight and so I've been working on really eating healthy and working out every day and being ACTIVE, and most importantly, I'm really stressed out.

Part of me wants to take this train trip so that I can relax, but the other part of me thinks that it may be too stressful to do it now. I almost feel like I should do the train trip at a time when I'm calm and can enjoy it. I'm in the middle of moving, etc.

Part of me just wants to rent a car, drive out West, go to my sister's wedding, and then drive back. I actually enjoy driving a lot, so I'm not too worried about getting tired of the road or anything like that.

Any thoughts/comments on this? Will the train relax me, or will it stress me out even more having to stick to such a strict schedule?

Alright all. Time to be honest with myself. Here's my dilemma. I really want to take this cross country Amtrak trip, but I'm really stressed out. My sister is getting married in SFO (which is why I'm going to begin with), and this is a really stressful time in my life - I'm going through a break up, I've gained weight and so I've been working on really eating healthy and working out every day and being ACTIVE, and most importantly, I'm really stressed out.
Part of me wants to take this train trip so that I can relax, but the other part of me thinks that it may be too stressful to do it now. I almost feel like I should do the train trip at a time when I'm calm and can enjoy it. I'm in the middle of moving, etc.

Part of me just wants to rent a car, drive out West, go to my sister's wedding, and then drive back. I actually enjoy driving a lot, so I'm not too worried about getting tired of the road or anything like that.

Any thoughts/comments on this? Will the train relax me, or will it stress me out even more having to stick to such a strict schedule?
I've driven cross country numerous times and taken Amtrak several times. They are good for different things. Amtrak is definitely more relaxing. I find sleepers cause weight gain because I don't want to "waste" all those included meals, but I don't have that problem in coach. Driving is better when you want the flexibility of going wherever you want whenever you want aside from anyone else's schedule. But you have a schedule: your sister's wedding. So I'd recommend Amtrak.

An additional bonus of traveling by yourself on Amtrak is most everyone will engage you and be nice to you, more so than when traveling with a friend. That might be relaxing.

I've driven cross country numerous times and taken Amtrak several times. They are good for different things. Amtrak is definitely more relaxing. I find sleepers cause weight gain because I don't want to "waste" all those included meals, but I don't have that problem in coach. Driving is better when you want the flexibility of going wherever you want whenever you want aside from anyone else's schedule. But you have a schedule: your sister's wedding. So I'd recommend Amtrak.

An additional bonus of traveling by yourself on Amtrak is most everyone will engage you and be nice to you, more so than when traveling with a friend. That might be relaxing.
I was thinking of compromising. One way car rentals aren't that bad, so I was thinking of driving out to my sister's wedding (so I don't have to pack my suit, I can keep it in the car, I can go straight there, enjoy the drive, etc). Once in San Francisco and done with my sister's wedding, I was going to drop the car off and take Amtrak home. The best of both worlds, and since Amtrak will be on the way home, I won't be stressed.

Thoughts on that idea?

I was thinking of compromising. One way car rentals aren't that bad, so I was thinking of driving out to my sister's wedding (so I don't have to pack my suit, I can keep it in the car, I can go straight there, enjoy the drive, etc). Once in San Francisco and done with my sister's wedding, I was going to drop the car off and take Amtrak home. The best of both worlds, and since Amtrak will be on the way home, I won't be stressed.
Thoughts on that idea?
As long as you don't mind driving, I think that is a great plan!

Let me say this... I have been under stress for several months now. I know how it feels and it sucks! Also, before train trips in the past, I have been under work related stress due to project work.

The train relaxes me. Starting the second day (usually, sometimes immediately) I really begin to relax and feel much better. SO, I would use it as a stress detox mechanism. While it might be stressful setting it all up (less stressful with our help hopefully), and stressful getting to the train, once onboard, all the trouble washes away.

As for driving, to me it is not as stress-reducing as taking the train, but not bad. Either way you are getting away from the norm.

:cool: As John McEnroe used to say: "You cannot be serious!" Between riding the train and driving cross country there is no contest, the train wins!! I dont know what rental cars cost in your area but I would think that between your rental,gas, meals, motels,tolls etc. you could probably ride in a deluxe bedroom coast to coast for about the same!

Dont know if you remember the old Greyhound commericals (I know, the dog is n ot a favorite here! )but they used to say: "Relax and leave the driving to us!" Thats what a train does, allows you to relax,unwind and restore your spirit! As the scenery rolls by, the smiles increase! :)

In this age of stressed out, idiot drivers I dont care to drive in any city let alone across the country!

Like the OP said, youll have the time to unwind, admire the scenery, meet new friends, see places youve never seen before and have adventures that pretty much every child has dreamed about most of their life! :) :cool:

Trust me, youll be glad you took the train, when I was in the dog eat dog world of Washington I used to ride the trains whenever I could to be able to rid myself of stress, fatigue and anger! Even then airports were zoos and unless you live in like Montana or Wyoming theres not many places where driving is not a high stress mess! Hope this helps, IMHO take to the rails, you wont regret it!!

I say go for the train rides.

It will go a long way on helping to de-stress rather than stress you out, if you are willing to allow the trip to do so.

You may still be a little keyed up on the first train, have a bit of trouble relaxing, but after that, you will get in the rhythms & routines of the trains, the meals, the scenery & stops-layovers & new places. You will start to relax & enjoy yourself. I know we were, but I think it was because we had never done it before & we were excited more than anything else.

This is the main reason we took the trains in July from Salt Lake City, Ut to Olympia, Wa, & back.

As for driving, IMHO, that would stress me more, with all the traffic, checking maps, finding places to eat, sleep, rest stops, etc. It was so nice not having to worry about any of that.

I think you will get off the trains, very relaxed, and ready to go for your sister's wedding.

If you are worried about a strict schedule, I would do the Boston -> Denver direct

three days in Denver/Denver -> Emeryville-make sure you attempt to get a sleeper for each leg.

This way you can rest on the trains, get some R & R (rest & relaxation) in Denver & continue on.

You may also want to break up your return trip by stopping at least overnight in Glenwood Springs, Co. (GSC)

Hit the Hot Springs, Microbrewery, etc.

We will be going there in Oct for a few days, just to de-stress before the Holidays, which are very busy for us.

I found that the layover in Sacramento from the westbound California Zephyr waiting for the northbound Coast Starlight was actually enough to break up the trip for us.

Hubby was concerned about the long layover, but it turned out it wasn't that bad.

Either way you go by train, the most important thing is to just kick back & realize that your 'vacation' begins when you board the train-not when you arrive at your destination! Enjoy the rides!!

I didn't see the time of the year you will be traveling. If you plan to drive a car, I would be concerned about the weather in the winter months.

I personally would go for the train in both directions. I went from NYP to DEN in one shot and didn't find it taxing. I went from NYP to WAS to CHI to DEN.

I was in a roomette from WAS. No problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back