Boston to Los Angeles

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an excellent point about the SWC, Nathanael. We took extra videos and pictures and kept our route guides and timetables from this last trip. We'll be out there again in December, and we want to accumulate as much memorabilia as possible before the reroute. It's a great idea to recommend it to anyone heading west for that very reason.

Don't forget the FBR is over the wheels and is noisy and rough......

Also, don't rule out going Boston to DC (day time coach) and either the CAP or CARD to Chicago.... OR the CRES. to NO and the SUNSET west ....these offer some options on scenery.....

Also, A great overnight stop is La Posada in Winslow Az. You can rent a car and explore the Grand Canyon, Ptd. Desert or Monument Vally in the day between trains..... Great Hotel and see John in the Tourquoise Rm. Rest. Terriffic!...You walk off the SWC and right into the hotel...arr. around 8PM so you have an entire day till the next SWC. GC is only 2Hrs away.

Does anyone have more information about the re-route of the Southwest Chief?

You have already picked the fastest and least expensive route. If there is any interest you might think about stopovers at either Santa Fe via Lamy or the Grand Canyon from either Flagstaff or Williams. With that fare I assume you are going in the winter or early spring. Summer travel would be almost $1000 more for the one way trip. Assume you are flying back. There is shuttle service between Lamy and Santa Fe. There are bus tours and options from Flagstaff. The Grand Canyon Ry offers many package tours from Williams Jct and will meet the train and pick you up.

Another option that has not been mentioned is to take the Crescent from New York to New Orleans. Stop over in New Orleans for a day or two and take the Sunset Limited to Los Angeles. Use a regional or Acela to connect from Boston to NY. Watch the dates as the Crescent is not running or certain dates and the Sunset only runs three times a week.

While New Orleans was one of hubby's and my favorite places to visit, and we've been there many times, I must say the Grand Canyon is spectacular and totally unique. I have never ridden the SWC so I don't know about the scenery along the route, but others here say it is good.

Washington, DC, is packed with American history, of course. The Crescent goes through lots of forests on its southward journey. The ride across Lake Ponchartrain is interesting. Some of the charms of New Orleans are the history, architecture, food, and nightlife. Between the two (New Orleans and the Grand Canyon) for a one-time-only visit, I personally would choose the Grand Canyon. Just my opinion, of course.

I have been told that the CZ is the most scenic of the westbound trains from Chicago, but that of course is a matter of opinion. I've never traveled any of them, but I hope to take the CZ sometime later this year.

As someone already posted, amsnag.net is a very helpful website that shows the different fares for different dates, depending on how many tickets have already been sold. It might save you some money if your dates are flexible.

Best wishes for a fabulous trip!

Unfortunately, New Orleans has a high crime rate, especially a high murder rate! There is a clear line between the "safe" and "unsafe" districts, and the difference can be quite substantial. It's OK to go there, but don't go into the "unsafe" districts or you're risking your life!

Unfortunately, New Orleans has a high crime rate, especially a high murder rate! There is a clear line between the "safe" and "unsafe" districts, and the difference can be quite substantial. It's OK to go there, but don't go into the "unsafe" districts or you're risking your life!
And it's gotten worse since Katrina in 2005. With a family in tow the best entertainment is a ride on the St. Charles streetcar route through the garden district. Get the all day pass so you can hop on and off where ever you want. The food is generally great. Stick to the known tourist areas.

And it's gotten worse since Katrina in 2005. With a family in tow the best entertainment is a ride on the St. Charles streetcar route through the garden district. Get the all day pass so you can hop on and off where ever you want. The food is generally great. Stick to the known tourist areas.
The cars are old and fun but it can get really crowded sometimes and there is lots of moise. I recommend the but just be prepared and wait for the next one if it's too crowded.

Are you planning for your return to be by rail or by air? If by rail, you can certainly take advantage of ALL the above advise. The SWC going WEST is a great plan. Maybe from Los Angeles you could return by the Coast Starlight and then transfer to the California Zephyr in Emeryville or to the Empire Builder in Portland or Seattle. But, the 15 year old doesn't want to be forever on the train...

An additional reason to consider the Southwest Chief... This is a route that is targeted to be rerouted to a faster, yet less scenic track in the not-so-far-away future. Take advantage of the current routing when you can!
Why does the 15 year old hate trains?

I don't see this big patience problem since I would rather ride a bus across the country then fly on a plane. But I prefer the train for such long trips because it is more comfortable.
I don't equate "But, the 15 year old doesn't want to be forever on the train..." with "Why does the 15 year old hate trains?"

I think any teenager would get bored in any sort of transportation system after the first day or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re New Orleans safety:

We always stay in the French Quarter, which is New Orleans' tourist bread and butter, so they make sure that area is as safe as possible. We've always felt very safe walking there. I've also made the trip with a female friend and children, and felt safe. (And I am admitedly a bit paranoid about safety!) There are always many people around, but of course use your usual common sense practices as you would in any city. We don't venture toward the area farthest from the river (past Bourbon St.), or past the French Market at all. The quadrant of the FQ between St. Louis Cathedral and Canal St. and between Bourbon St. and the river is very safe in my experience. The St. Charles streetcar ride is nice. Don't go into isolated areas and you should be fine in the FQ.

My vote for a one-time visit is still the Grand Canyon, though. :)

Thanks guys for all your comments

i am tending towards LSL and SWC but the option of a trip via New orleans certainly warrants serious consideration

when we have decided we will give you an undate

PHIL

PS if I book but then request a change before the tickets are issued do I have to pay a rebooking fee?

I have been to New Orleans a great many times. It has always been something of a rough town...and especially so when money is tight. (That's always when crime goes up.)

But through thick-and-thin, the French Quarter has always been safe. Too many people (and too many police) for much bad to happen.

Are you planning for your return to be by rail or by air? If by rail, you can certainly take advantage of ALL the above advise. The SWC going WEST is a great plan. Maybe from Los Angeles you could return by the Coast Starlight and then transfer to the California Zephyr in Emeryville or to the Empire Builder in Portland or Seattle. But, the 15 year old doesn't want to be forever on the train...

An additional reason to consider the Southwest Chief... This is a route that is targeted to be rerouted to a faster, yet less scenic track in the not-so-far-away future. Take advantage of the current routing when you can!
Why does the 15 year old hate trains?

I don't see this big patience problem since I would rather ride a bus across the country then fly on a plane. But I prefer the train for such long trips because it is more comfortable.
I don't equate "But, the 15 year old doesn't want to be forever on the train..." with "Why does the 15 year old hate trains?"

I think any teenager would get bored in any sort of transportation system after the first day or two.
Back when I was 15, I would itch to be on the bus and not want to get off!

Also, A great overnight stop is La Posada in Winslow Az. You can rent a car and explore the Grand Canyon, Ptd. Desert or Monument Vally in the day between trains..... Great Hotel and see John in the Tourquoise Rm. Rest. Terriffic!...You walk off the SWC and right into the hotel...arr. around 8PM so you have an entire day till the next SWC. GC is only 2Hrs away.
Are you sure there are rental cars in Winslow? There certainly are in Flagstaff v

I would suggest the CZ. I have done the CZ and the SWC a few times in both directions, and the EB heading west, and for my money the scenery on the CZ can't be beat. I know it may seem a bit slow, but seeing bald eagles, elk, mule deer, and an occasional rattlesnake sunning himself on the rocks in the canyons is something that may even entertain a 15 year old. I remember taking the family to New Orleans years ago on the Crescent, the kids were boy of 11, and a girl of 15. I was the only one who had experienced LD train. My wife and the kids were all complaining about how much time we were wasting on getting there, and why couldn't we just fly. We booked two viewliner roomettes, kid in one us in the other, and from that trip on all were railfans. Good Luck!

Are you sure there are rental cars in Winslow? There certainly are in Flagstaff v
There is one rental car agency in Winslow - Dollar Rental Car.

Thanks guys for all your comments
i am tending towards LSL and SWC but the option of a trip via New orleans certainly warrants serious consideration

when we have decided we will give you an undate

PHIL

PS if I book but then request a change before the tickets are issued do I have to pay a rebooking fee?
All

As promised here is what we have decided

Booked our tickets tonight - in the end decided to book two roomettes, rooms 3, 4 in car 4911 from Albany to Chicago. I thought we might have a nice drive from Wellesley MA to Albany NY and join the train there at 7pm - now need to work out where to drop off the rental near to the Amtrak station

We will then stay over in Chicago for one night staying at a Marriott in Wacker Drive (using a lot of Marriott reward points so free - yippee) and then the next afternoon will board the Southwest Chief for the trip to Los Angeles - have booked two roomettes on the upper deck - rooms 7 and 8 in car 0330 - are these rooms on the upper deck and are they a good choice?

looking forward to the trip

best regards

PHIL

all the way so should be good fun etis curtosy On ho

Yes, rooms #7 and #8 are on the upper level. You won't be right next to the door separating the cars, so they're a good choice. (#9 and #10 are next to the door.) With your door shut at night, you won't notice the sliding door opening at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back