Boston to Seattle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nr272

Service Attendant
I made a thread about this a few months ago, but I thought I'd make another as much trip is coming up soon (july) and I'm looking to purchase tickets very soon. I've never been on a long distance train before so I'm a little overwhelmed trying to plan this trip and would like to ask a few questions:

1. From boston to Albany I get the option to buy business class for $18 more. Is this worth it? Any different from coach class?

2. I will be on coach the entire trip so I won't have any incuded meals or a shower to use. Is there any way to wash up on the train? How practical is it to bring 3 days worth of food with me?

3. Is a pillow necessary or are the seats comfortable enough without one when trying to sleep? (I'm trying to bring as little as possible, but I still want it to be a comfortable trip).

4. I plan on bringing my bike along with me. If I check it as baggage in Boston should it make the transfer from the Lake Shore Limited to the Empire Builder and arrive in Seattle without any issues?

Any input or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only ridden part of the route you'll be taking, but I did it in coach, so hopefully I can help out.

1. From boston to Albany I get the option to buy business class for $18 more. Is this worth it? Any different from coach class?
You'll get a slightly bigger seat, with two on one side of the aisle and one on the other, with more leg room and complimentary refreshments. Since I'm more used to European trains I don't feel the need to upgrade because coach is quite spacious enough for me. Plus, it's only a relatively short ride, and if you splurge on business class for the first bit it might make the rest of the ride in coach seem harder :D

2. I will be on coach the entire trip so I won't have any incuded meals or a shower to use. Is there any way to wash up on the train? How practical is it to bring 3 days worth of food with me?
Bring a bag/box of disposable wet wipes to freshen up, as well as a couple of changes of clothes, as well as toothbrush and toothpaste. Once you're on the EB from Chicago to Seattle you'll find an extra large washroom downstairs (with two dinky stools in front of a big mirror... very seventies idea about given the ladies a place to do their make up) which is fine for changing. After sleeping a night in coach I would always freshen up with the wipes, make a change of clothes and brush my teeth. That - and a good breakfast in the restaurant car - will do the trick.

If you're travelling on a budget, I'd recommend only using the restaurant car for breakfast. It always seems to be the best value meal of the three to me, and starts the day nicely. Picnic-ing for the rest is easy enough: a small bottle of water can be refilled from the fountains on board; apples, pears, bananas make a change from the unhealthy snack food in the café; cereal bars are filling snacks etc. For actual meals it depends how much work you want to do: freshly prepared food will only stay good for a day or two, but I'm happy enough with sandwiches, tinned fish etc.

You don't say whether you're stopping overnight in Chicago. If you are, then obviously you'll have a chance to have use a bathroom wherever you're staying. Otherwise, perhaps other forum users will be able to advise about shower facilities there.

3. Is a pillow necessary or are the seats comfortable enough without one when trying to sleep? (I'm trying to bring as little as possible, but I still want it to be a comfortable trip).
An inflatable pillow or two come in handy, not just for supporting your head and neck, but for putting between you and the side of your seat. Over zealous air conditioning is best dealt with with a lightweight travel blanket, like the ones you or someone you know could pilfer next time you or they take a longhaul or overnight flight. Amtrak sell them in the café, but they're a bit pricey.

4. I plan on bringing my bike along with me. If I check it as baggage in Boston should it make the transfer from the Lake Shore Limited to the Empire Builder and arrive in Seattle without any issues?
Sorry - no idea on this one, someone else will have to help.

Have a good trip,

*j* :blink:

I've only ridden part of the route you'll be taking, but I did it in coach, so hopefully I can help out.
Bring a bag/box of disposable wet wipes to freshen up, as well as a couple of changes of clothes, as well as toothbrush and toothpaste. Once you're on the EB from Chicago to Seattle you'll find an extra large washroom downstairs (with two dinky stools in front of a big mirror... very seventies idea about given the ladies a place to do their make up) which is fine for changing. After sleeping a night in coach I would always freshen up with the wipes, make a change of clothes and brush my teeth. That - and a good breakfast in the restaurant car - will do the trick.

If you're travelling on a budget, I'd recommend only using the restaurant car for breakfast. It always seems to be the best value meal of the three to me, and starts the day nicely. Picnic-ing for the rest is easy enough: a small bottle of water can be refilled from the fountains on board; apples, pears, bananas make a change from the unhealthy snack food in the café; cereal bars are filling snacks etc. For actual meals it depends how much work you want to do: freshly prepared food will only stay good for a day or two, but I'm happy enough with sandwiches, tinned fish etc.

You don't say whether you're stopping overnight in Chicago. If you are, then obviously you'll have a chance to have use a bathroom wherever you're staying. Otherwise, perhaps other forum users will be able to advise about shower facilities there.

An inflatable pillow or two come in handy, not just for supporting your head and neck, but for putting between you and the side of your seat. Over zealous air conditioning is best dealt with with a lightweight travel blanket, like the ones you or someone you know could pilfer next time you or they take a longhaul or overnight flight. Amtrak sell them in the café, but they're a bit pricey.
Thank you for the reply! This is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for.

I like your idea about bringing the disposable wet wipes -- it sounds like I'll do fine without a shower. I'm not planing to stay in Chicago for more than a few hours to wait for the train connection, but If the Lake Shore comes in Late (which I've heard is quite common) and I miss the Empire Builder, who knows what could happen. The layover in Chicago is 4 hours though, so chances are I'll be fine.

Like the thought about getting breakfast in the restaurant car.... besides, there's no way I can go on a long distance train and not have a sit-down meal!

It probably sounds like a good idea to bring a pillow along.

One last question: Should I worry about thieves on the train when I leave my backpack at my seat if I go to the bathroom or restaurant car?

Have a good trip,
*j* :blink:
I will! :D

I'll probably be back here after to report on the journey.

Personally I would opt for the business class seat (BC), just because it is roomier and more comfortable that coach in that first part of the trip from Boston to Albany. You'll find that the coach seats on the rest of your trip will be nicer than the coach seats on the Boston - Albany leg. And if you're in BC, then it is a bit nicer than what you'll see for the rest of the trip. And you'll be close to the cafe car, so you can see if there is a long line before you walk back. The $18 bucks does include a free non-alcoholic drink too.

If money is really tight, then I'd probably pass.

Well nothing is infalable, even Amtrak workers like airline workers can make mistakes. However, since Amtrak handles a fraction of the luggage that airlines do, lost luggage is far less of a problem on Amtrak. And your transfer is pretty straight forward, so you really shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure that you have the bike boxed according to Amtrak's instructions

One last question: Should I worry about thieves on the train when I leave my backpack at my seat if I go to the bathroom or restaurant car?
Well I would not leave a wallet or any money in your backpack, as that would be a real temptation. Additionally I would hide out of sight any electronics or other valuable stuff. Amtrak is generally pretty safe, but that's not to say that things haven't gone south on occasions. So don't tempt people by leaving things that are attractive. On many trains though, a sense of community tends to develop and therefore people will actually look after one another. So that helps to cut down on problems. Additionally, it's not like you can just jump off the train at any given moment, so that acts as a bit of a deterrent.

Thanks for the reply Alan. Money is a bit tight, (which is why I didn't opt for a roomette on the EB), but the Business class seat does sounds like it will be worth it.... is there any reason this option isn't available from Albany to Chicago?

Thanks for the reply Alan. Money is a bit tight, (which is why I didn't opt for a roomette on the EB), but the Business class seat does sounds like it will be worth it.... is there any reason this option isn't available from Albany to Chicago?
Business Class, or a higher level of coach service is not available on the Lake Shore Ltd. I suspect that it is because the seat in coach between Albany and Chicago will be an awful lot like that business class seat between Boston and Albany. The standard coach section of the Boston-Albany uses commuter train type seating. This train will have a high density (read less leg room) 2 x 2 layout. In the business class car the Boston-Albany train, you will have a generous amount of legroom, 2x1 layout, fake leather seats, a 110v plug at your seat and free drinks from the cafe car that it either in the same car as you or one car down the train.

On the Albany-Chicago leg, you will get the same generous legroom but with a 2x2 layout and a cloth seat. Depending on the age of the car, you may get a 110v socket. You will not get free drinks. If size matters, (which at 6'7" and near 300 lbs, it does to me) You are getting commuter train 'business class' seating in the coach of a long distance train.

Now to answer your question, I'm not sure why Amtrak does not offer an enhanced coach prodcut for those who are willing to spend a little more but are not willing to spend the big bucks required to get into a sleeper. Maybe they are leaving money on the table.

Rick

Money is a bit tight, (which is why I didn't opt for a roomette on the EB), but the Business class seat does sounds like it will be worth it.... is there any reason this option isn't available from Albany to Chicago?
Now to answer your question, I'm not sure why Amtrak does not offer an enhanced coach prodcut for those who are willing to spend a little more but are not willing to spend the big bucks required to get into a sleeper. Maybe they are leaving money on the table.
This is an often discussed problem with Amtrak, the fact that on long distance trains there is no alternative between coach and sleeper. Most people seem to agree, as do I, that Amtrak does need to find a middle ground and offer a third service level. I've no doubt that Amtrak is indeed leaving money on the table with only the current two choices. Especially with the increases in sleeper fares over the last few years.

As to why Amtrak isn't doing something, pick your reason(s); lack of equipment, lack of money, lack of vision, lack of focus on customer service, and perhaps even a few other things that I haven't considered.

Hi, I took my first coach class travel earlier this year, and enjoyed it no end. I bought a large size travel blanket and a pillow from the Walgreens drug store chain, rather than taking one from UK. Price was about $10 for the two.

Ed. B)

The Amfleet 2 long distance coaches that you'll be on from ALB to CHI are pretty comfortable. Tons of legroom. I took the Crescent from New Orleans to New York last year and I was in coach...it was about 15 hours longer than ALB-CHI...and I was pretty comfortable the whole way. An average sized pillow, blanket, ear plugs and eye shades help out a bunch for a long coach ride.

The Amfleet 2 long distance coaches that you'll be on from ALB to CHI are pretty comfortable. Tons of legroom. I took the Crescent from New Orleans to New York last year and I was in coach...it was about 15 hours longer than ALB-CHI...and I was pretty comfortable the whole way. An average sized pillow, blanket, ear plugs and eye shades help out a bunch for a long coach ride.
Thanks for the replies everyone. This past weekend I took the train in coach from New London, Ct to Providence, and I was surprised how comfortable coach was. Since I am used to airplane seating I thought I must have been in First class by mistake.

Money is a bit tight, (which is why I didn't opt for a roomette on the EB), but the Business class seat does sounds like it will be worth it.... is there any reason this option isn't available from Albany to Chicago?
This is an often discussed problem with Amtrak, the fact that on long distance trains there is no alternative between coach and sleeper. Most people seem to agree, as do I, that Amtrak does need to find a middle ground and offer a third service level. I've no doubt that Amtrak is indeed leaving money on the table with only the current two choices. Especially with the increases in sleeper fares over the last few years.

As to why Amtrak isn't doing something, pick your reason(s); lack of equipment, lack of money, lack of vision, lack of focus on customer service, and perhaps even a few other things that I haven't considered.
What do you think a new class should include? I've always potentially thought of it as a car with seats that recline more for sure, meals that are included, and a car attendant. Perhaps market it as an Acela First Class-like experience for long distance trains. I know that I would probably take it instead of opting out for a sleeper.

And a question about business class. I rode Carolinians 79 and 80 and Regionals 94 and 95 all in business class, and the cars were almost identical to long distance coaches. No leather seats and no 2+1 configuration. Where do these amenities start?

What do you think a new class should include? I've always potentially thought of it as a car with seats that recline more for sure, meals that are included, and a car attendant. Perhaps market it as an Acela First Class-like experience for long distance trains. I know that I would probably take it instead of opting out for a sleeper.
Bob,

IMHO, if Amtrak had the vision, the money, and the equipment (or at least money to buy new equipment); I'd actually like to see two new classes on long distance trains.

The first would be a business class type seat and car, although a better name should be chosen since it probably wouldn't attract a lot of business people. Thinking quickly, this car should have the same type of 2 & 1 seating currently found in Amtrak's Club-Dinette cars. This would give people a nicer seat, with greater recline. It should also include both pillows and a light blanket supplied by Amtrak. And finally it could offer say a 5% or 10% discount on all food brought in the dining car, and say a 25% to 30% discount on food in the cafe car. This service would probably add between $20 to perhaps as much as $100 to the price of a ticket, based upon distance traveled.

The new second class would be modeled more on the old sectional sleepers, where during the day you shared a common area with a seatmate who could be a complete stranger. At night one person gets the upper bunk, while the other gets the lower. The sections could be closed off by either curtains, or perhaps some newer more high-tech way. I've seen one vision that had an almost pod-like arangement.

This class of course would include blankets, sheets, pillows, a common shower, and common restrooms. Additionally it could include say a 25% to 30% discount off in the diner, and say 45% to 50% off in the cafe car. This class would add between say $80 to perhaps as much as $300 to $400 to the ticket price, distance dependant.

And a question about business class. I rode Carolinians 79 and 80 and Regionals 94 and 95 all in business class, and the cars were almost identical to long distance coaches. No leather seats and no 2+1 configuration. Where do these amenities start?
The Carolinian has long had an Amfleet II car as it's Business Class car, IIRC. That is typically a long distance coach, and not normally seen on a train like the Carolinian even though some would argue that's long distance.

Trains #94 & #95 are Regional trains that run on the NEC. Typically only those that run between NY and DC and not even all of that group, get the Club-Dinettes the cars with the 2 & 1 seating. Regionals that run between Boston and DC, or south of DC almost always seem to get the 2 & 2 BC cars. Otherwise if you want a Club-Dinette as a BC car, you must head for the Pennsylvanian, Empire Service trains, short haul trains out of Chicago, and I believe a few short haul trains in California. The Talgos trains that are used for the Cascades service in Washington and Oregon also have a BC car that does 2 & 1 seating, but they are not Club-Dinettes.

One quick question: Are there assigned seats on either of the trains?
You probably won't be assigned anything Boston to Albany. From Albany to Chicago and from there to Seattle, depending on how many passengers are expected as well as the crew, you may or may not be assigned a seat as you board the train.

You probably won't be assigned anything Boston to Albany. From Albany to Chicago and from there to Seattle, depending on how many passengers are expected as well as the crew, you may or may not be assigned a seat as you board the train.
Thanks. I was just curious since I will be traveling with a friend and I wanted to make sure we can get a seat next to each other (although that might not be such a good idea after 4 days).

Thanks. I was just curious since I will be traveling with a friend and I wanted to make sure we can get a seat next to each other (although that might not be such a good idea after 4 days).
At the stations that you'll be boarding at. the odds are in your favor that you'll get seats together.

nr272, here is hoping you have a good trip.

Don't overstress on the cleanliness---it is not as if you will be working in a garden, you will not get super, super dirty on the train. I have taken coach for three nights in a row several times years ago and I survived---(well maybe the people around me didn't!)

Eating in the dining car on the train can be a great experience. You will probably be seated with others and that very often is quite a bit of fun.

I am questioning the $18 for the business class when It might go instead for a dinner in the diner on the Empire Builder. Yes, you should try to eke out the funds for dinner on the Empire Builder. The food is still quite good on that train usually.

It is too bad there is not more choice about pricing between sleeper and coach. There used to be more types of rooms (and semi-private "sections" already mentioned) than there are today, making the price range greater. There also used to be special low cost cars with extra small rooms called slumbercoaches and other such names. But there were never proportionatley very many of those.

Not nearly as many people ride trains today---if only they did I am sure there would be more variety.

The business class type of business has always been sort of like it is today, largely the Boston to NYC to WAS area and a few others, branching out from Chicago, for example. These services resemble what used to be called "parlor cars". Like today's Acela, they were largely used for serious business travel.

Oh, another thought, remember that the food in the snack car is not that bad--not nearly as expensive as dining car food, worth a try, part of your budget.

Thanks, Bill.

I actually was able to get the tickets cheaper than I expected (about $500 round trip), so I definately will splurge and get some food on the train.

I think you're right about being fine without a shower. There train will be air conditioned and I won't be running aroud too much, so I can't see myself getting sweaty. I will change my socks though.

I never though about this until now, but I was thinking about cathching the train at Worcester, MA instead of Boston - South Station. It just seems like it would be a lot less hectic tring to get a ride into Worcester than downtown Boston!

- Noah

So I just went to the station and picked up the tickets at the quick-track machine... now all I have to do is wait two months. :)

- Noah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back