Bought Tickets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firebert

Train Attendant
Okay guys, I just bought my tickets for a trip to Portland, OR next month. I'm already pretty excited about it. This will be my second trip on the Starlight out of Los Angeles. I look forward to telling you all about it when I get back.

-Firebert

Me too,

I will be arriving in Portland aboard the Empire Builder May 25th. I am looking forward to seeing the city also hope to get a look at the Starlight as it comes through.

I was able to get roundtrip, with bedroom tickets from Charlottesville, VA to Portland, OR for my wife and myself for $1,400. It is now over $3,000 and only roomettes are available. Pays to book early.

Portland has lots to do and see. If you have time consider taking the RDC car train over to Astoria for the day. Neat ride and some great seafood places on the coast.

Southern-

I wish I could have a trip report up for you to see before your trip, but I leave on the starlight two days before you arrive. The hotel I'm looking at has wireless internet, so I'm hoping that I can post mid-trip reports and images.

-Firebert

Due to limited time available for travel, I will only be in Portland for 30 hours. I arrive Wednesday morning and depart Thursday afternoon.

I want to dip my toe in the Pacific Ocean once in my life, so I will be taking a rental car trip to the coast.

Any suggestions as to best route for Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning trip to the coast.

Any suggestions as to best route for Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning trip to the coast.
We took US 26 west to US101 up to Seaside. I think there are some beaches in that area. From Seaside we went up to Astoria, where Kindergarten Cop was filmed, and the US 30 back to Portland.If you have time in Astoria go up on the big overlook hill and there is a tower, obolisk, you can climb for great views. Fellow who built one of the RR's, Great Northern, I think built the ting. Check the web for things to see in the area.

MrFFS, do you recall how long it takes to drive from Portland to Seaside?
Depending upon what part of Portland you leave from, it can take anywhere from 2-2.5 hours. We left from the west side, the rose garden area, about 10:00 and we were to Astoria by 2:00, but we stopped in Seaside to do some antiquing. The map says it is about 80 miles from Portland to Astoria, 70, to Seaside. 2 lane road all the way.

Mrfss, thanks for the information on reaching the Pacific O.

I think we will drive out late Wednesday afternoon and watch the sunset. Hope the weather is decent. Any idea as to how the Portland area weather is in late May?

Code:
Any idea as to how the Portland area weather is in late May?
I'm not a native of the area, just visited there for a few days last year. Check weather.com and they will give you a 10 day forcast if you look a few days before your trip.

Have fun!

PS - Oregon is one of only a couple of states where you can't pump your own gas. NO SELF SERVE - don't even try it as they get real testy about it.

Back