Breakfast into Los Angeles?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackensen

Lead Service Attendant
Next spring the wife and I are doing KAL-CHI-LAX-SEA in a roomette on an AGR reward. We're supposed to get into LAX around 8:15 am on the Southwest Chief with a departure two hours later on the Coast Starlight. Is breakfast served on the SWC? Two hours isn't a lot of time to get situated, and that's assuming the SWC is on time. Does Amtrak hold the CS for the SWC? If we don't make the connection, what are our options there (I'm assuming Amtrak would put us up for the night and try to book us on the next one out)?

Sorry for the noobish questions but I've never done this particular route before. Thanks for any insight.

This is a guaranteed connection as long as you book it for direct CHI-LAX-SEA connection (if AGR no multi-city nor stopovers are allowed)from the SWC to the CS. Most of the time the Chief has an excellent OTP but there are various ways Amtrak can ensure the connection, if the train is running late they could bustitute pax to catch up with the Starlight, if extremeely late (very rare but stuff happens)they could even put you on a bus to Bakersfield and catch a San Joaquin train Northbound to catch up with the Starlight.Spending the night in LAX would be very rare, the train would have have been cancelled or the SWC running extremely late! This is a very popular train, booked most days so you might not get a room, have to ride coach if you miss your connection , Id think Amtrak would do the bustitution first, then the San Joaquin trip!

When you reach LAX the bar of the Traxx lounge by the first entrance serves as a lounge for first class pax, has coffee,softdrinks etc., you can get a redcap if needed, read the Starlight info book, they usually pass out papers and take you to your train when its time to board! (through the tunnels and up the ramp, coach pax line up in the waiting room or sneak to the platform!)If you are on time be sure and look around this beautiful station, last of the grand ones built! Breakfast will be served EARLY, like @ 5:00AM,one sitting only, so youd want to have an alarm or have a wake-up call if you want to eat on the train, not much in the station except a high priced bagel kiosk and a newsstand/coffee joint!

A great trip, there are lots of trip reports on this route, please read them and feel free to ask any questions, lots of good info here, some of it is even true! :lol:

Yes, SWC to CS is a guaranteed connection. I rode once this route and the unexpected happens. We were 4 hours late going into LA so we were told to take the bus from San Bernardino to Santa Barbara to catch the CS. There were two other passengers with me on that bus (3 passengers including me for that one bus the whole trip). We were 15 mins late when we arrived at Santa Barbara due to heavy traffic on the freeway(the CS didn't wait for us) so the bus went to San Luis Obispo. We finally catch the CS at San Luis Obispo, the bus arrived about 40 mins before the Amtrak train did because there was no traffic on US 101.

The one thing I was dissappointed was I missed the beautiful coast from Santa Barbara to San Luis Obispo. This thing happens.

I just experienced a very tight connect from the Chief to the Starlight and thanks to the Conductor, Dispatch and being Sunday it worked. The Chief was down just over 3 hours at Barstow, and I asked the Conductor even with the padding was there a chance of making connections with the Starlight or would it be held. He made a couple calls and said unless we were within sight of the station at 1015 they would not hold the train and it would be Bus City. But he said I'm going to get you there on time, and some amazing radio traffic followed as Dispatch, not having to deal with Metrolink on Sunday said he'd give us Green all the way in and end us on the receiving track next to the Starlight. The Engineer radioed back to keep them Green and he'd have us on the spot by 1000. Add to that 2 literally rolling station stops with the bag handlers tossing them on the fly and we made it with 15 minutes to spare.

It pays to be friendly to your Conductor :)

Yes, you'll have breakfast on SWC. If the SWC is on time somewhere in AZ/CA, then the meal starts at 5:30 am PT/6:30 am MT (AZ time is kinda screw up since it doesn't observe daylight saving time). It closes at approx. 6:30 am PT.

As Greg said, there is breakfast served on the SWC, but it starts VERY early and ends VERY early! (I think they only have 1 setting!
wink.gif
) The 1st meal on the CS is lunch, but the Traxx Lounge does have coffee and some snacks!)

Breakfast starts VERY early and ends VERY early and is always VERY limited VERY not worth it. Plus, when you return to your room it will likely be in 'daytime mode'. So if you're like me and like to lay down and stretch out and enjoy the ride into LA you'll be SOL and have to sit up. Get something in LA. Sleep in.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI -- Good News is that LAUS is currently undergoing some upgrades! Known thus far is that construction is currently underway to bring a Subway, Pete's Tea & Coffee, Wetzel's pretzels, and a popular Los Angeles convenience store known as Famima!!. I also overheard conversation from an Amtrak conductor talking about some conversion going to take place by "Track 13" up on the rail platforms. He seemed to believe there was a plan afoot to put in some fast foot retail up there as well as a sort of viewing area. I have been trying to ask around, even emailing the owner of LAUS but have been unable to confirm.

I live next door to LAUS and I uploaded a couple of pics here: http://cid-46795502bf9f616c.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Los%20Angeles%20Union%20Station/Coming%20Soon%20Closeup.jpg Click slideshow if you want to see full screen.

When going from Chicago to LA, I usually take #421 Eagle/Sunset to get the extra day on the train compared to #3 Southwest Chief. The connection from the Eagle/Sunset to the Starlight is about as tight as the Southwest Chief to the Starlight... I think almost about 2 hours to spare.

Last time I did the connection, #421 got stalled for hours near Yuma, AZ and we would have missed the connection to the Starlight. The conductor got all the Eagle/Sunset passengers off at Ontario, CA and we were bussed to Bakersfield and then took the next San Joquain train to the Bay Area.

The complete thing was a cluster -- the conductor on the San Joquain has no indication that 50 extra passengers were getting on the already sold-out train at Bakersfield with no tickets. At first he told us that we couldnt board the train -- and after some phone calls -- said we could and that some folks further down the line would be standing. THEN, The San Joquain conductor was telling everyone who was trying to connect with the Coast Starlight to get off in Sacramento. I was looking at it -- and it would have been about a 6 hour wait for the Starlight. I asked if I could just ride to Oakland to reduce the wait time and he got quite snippy -- and said I could do whatever I wanted, but he wouldn't be responsible if I missed the Coast Starlight. (I still had about a 3 hour wait at OKJ!!)

I missed the scenery along the coast and a whole day in the Pacific Parlour Car... but got a $250 voucher for the whole thing... so I guess it was a wash. However, the whole point of the trip was to ride in the PPC.

On 9/1/2010, I am doing the SWC to CS connection mentioned... so we shall see... I am hoping it all goes smoothly.

And yes, as other posted... you do get an early morning meal on both #3 and #421 coming into LAX... but at like 5:30AM with one seating.

Personally, I'd rather just sleep in and hit Union Bagel in LAUPT... I love that place!! The onion and salt bagels are awesome!!

Last edited by a moderator:
In January my egg breakfast was quite tasty on the Southwest Chief very early in the morning, although only a few other customers were in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back