Breakfast on eastbound SW Chief getting off in Kansas City

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AudenHoggart

Service Attendant
The eastbound SW Chief gets into Kansas City at 7:24 and leaves at 7:43. It's often early getting in to KC. Will we need to be finished with breakfast and ready to get off the train by whenever it arrives in KC, by 7:24, or by 7:43?

I believe that on the northbound TE, which has a much longer morning layover in St. Louis, you can stay on the train and finish breakfast until pretty much just before the train is leaving.

What's the situation in Kansas City on the SW Chief?

Thanks!

I would be scratching on the Diner door right at 6:30 letting the Staff know you are getting off at Kansas City. That way, assuming the train is on time, you'll have time to eat and get back to your Chair or Room in time to do a final check around before getting off. I know how hectic getting up early in the morning can be, let alone when it involves finishing a trip.

The eastbound SW Chief gets into Kansas City at 7:24 and leaves at 7:43. It's often early getting in to KC. Will we need to be finished with breakfast and ready to get off the train by whenever it arrives in KC, by 7:24, or by 7:43?

I believe that on the northbound TE, which has a much longer morning layover in St. Louis, you can stay on the train and finish breakfast until pretty much just before the train is leaving.

What's the situation in Kansas City on the SW Chief?

Thanks!
Considering the possibility that someone is waiting to board your room at KC, I would suggest you be ready to depart when train arrives or shortly thereafter...

I did this a few years ago. I went to the dining car early to make sure that I was finished breakfast and ready to get off the train as soon as we got to KCY. However, both the dining car attendant and the sleeping car attendant said I could take as long as I wanted for breakfast as long as I was off the train before the scheduled departure. I could even relax in the roomette if I wanted to. I was keen to get off and get on my way though.

I'd suggest it is very unlikely that your roomette will be required for a passenger boarding in KCY because there are no more overnights before the train terminates in Chicago. While it is possible to book a roomette just for the day I doubt many people would.

I did this last year, and it was a bit of a scramble...but it worked out. There was actually someone boarding in my roomette, though, which hastened things a little.

If the kitchen breaks down (which happened to me on this exact route) they don't start serving breakfast until loading supplies in KC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back