Breakfast on the SWC?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

icbrkr

Train Attendant
I'm heading EB on the SWC later this week, picking it up from KC. I can't remember - will breakfast still be served to those just getting on? And lastly, I'm off of the train at Galesburg (to catch the Zephyr). Will we get lunch?

I'm heading EB on the SWC later this week, picking it up from KC. I can't remember - will breakfast still be served to those just getting on? And lastly, I'm off of the train at Galesburg (to catch the Zephyr). Will we get lunch?
If you check a current schedule (available here), you'll see that the EB SWC leaves KC at 7:35 a.m., so yes for the breakfast. However, since it stops in Galesburg at 12 noon, you won't get lunch, since lunch generally starts at noon.

I was hoping to get breakfast onboard the last time I rode eastbound, but the train was late by 1.5 hours. When I went to the diner, they said they had closed.

So, the lesson learned is that if the train is running late, you should avail yourself of the Harvey House diner in the station, rather than taking a chance on getting served onboard.

Usually lunch starts early on the SWC because the crew wants to finish up early and prepare for their unloading in Chicago. Sometimes lunch starts at least by 11am so even if the train is on time, you should have time to get a quick lunch before you leave at Galesburg. We have had lunch passing over the Mississippi River at Fort Madison several times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back