Breakfast Timeframe on Train 11, Second Day?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Explore

Train Attendant
How late is breakfast typically served on Train 11, the Coast Starlight, traveling through the Bay Area? We'll be boarding at EMY but will need to have the conductor upgrade us to sleeper onboard, before proceeding to the diner. Personal experience requested. Thanks.

How late is breakfast typically served on Train 11, the Coast Starlight, traveling through the Bay Area? We'll be boarding at EMY but will need to have the conductor upgrade us to sleeper onboard, before proceeding to the diner. Personal experience requested. Thanks.
When we rode they quit serving breakfast when the train was ready to leave Oakland, not sure if its crew choice or depends on the OTP, theres lots of members that have ridden/ride this train so I'm sure someone has the "official" answer! ;)

As with anything on Amtrak, it's a total crap shoot. I have seen them serve breakfast all the way until San Jose (10:00am arrival) and I have seen them close up shop as early as Oakland (8:45am) and deny Oakland boarding passengers breakfast.

My advice to you would be to not count on it and eat breakfast before boarding the train.

Thanks....I think we'll just barge into the dining car out of EMY, assuming the train is on time, and mark any old sleeper room on the check....then worry about catching up with the conductor when he/she gets to us. Clearly there are plenty of roomettes available on the train, priced in the lowest bucket. Unfortunately we can't buy one ahead of time, because we're using a companion coupon.

....I think we'll just barge into the dining car out of EMY, assuming the train is on time, and mark any old sleeper room on the check....
Wait 'til they ask to see your sleeper ticket stub. :eek:

Thanks....I think we'll just barge into the dining car out of EMY, assuming the train is on time, and mark any old sleeper room on the check....then worry about catching up with the conductor when he/she gets to us. Clearly there are plenty of roomettes available on the train, priced in the lowest bucket. Unfortunately we can't buy one ahead of time, because we're using a companion coupon.

If you mark any old sleeper room on the check, you could be screwing the rightful occupant of that room out of the meal they paid for. :(

Unless and until you have been positively confirmed in a room, you are still a coach passenger who is required to pay the menu price for a meal. Sorry, but that's the way it works.

There are a couple of problems with this:

1. Not all conductors are willing to do upgrades. Even if they are, they will generally lift tickets for everyone getting on that stop before they will come back and do an upgrade, and EMY is a busy stop. At EMY, my guess is they would not want to be bothered with doing an upgrade until after they lifted all tickets at both EMY and OKJ, since the stops are close together, and they'll have work to do "on the ground" at both stops.

2. You shouldn't move out of your seat until your ticket is lifted.

3. If you do go the diner, and have your ticket lifted there, you are almost immediately caught.

4. The sleeping car passengers that have been on before EMY were likely on the train the previous day. If you make up a room, you might be picking one that is actually occupied and that the crew has already served. A lot of crews are pretty aware of who belongs where. And if they are suspicious but unsure, it is really easy for them to check the manifest. The LSA is responsible for seeing that the passengers in each room only get the meals allotted.

5. If you get caught falsifying a sleeper meal check, the LSA and the conductor will be really PO'd, regardless of your intention to do an upgrade (which in all honesty, you cannot know if one is available). I can almost guarantee you that you will not only NOT get the upgrade, but will likely be removed from the train at the next stop. It is possible that removal will be into the arms of the police for "theft of services"

That is a really, really bad idea. If you aren't confirmed in the room before you walk into the diner, buy your own breakfast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back