British Airways to start London-Austin non-stop on 787!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are always flyers concerned about one plane or another. The two largest operators of the DC-10 in the U.S. were American and United. Both of those fleets were still in frequent use as late as the mid-1990s, a long time after AA 194 (1979). The withdrawal of the DC-10 had more to do with its three-person cockpit, its fuel consumption compared to twin jets, the number of cycles accrued since 1971, and the trend to offer more frequent service with smaller aircraft.

It's true that the MD-11 successor was a poor seller, but I think that had more to do with the problems of the MD-11 specifically.
We flew In a DC-10 to Hawaii and back in 2002, so they were still going, then, I guess.
At least I hope they were still going then! :giggle:
BTW: When was the UA crash of a DC-10 in SUX? (That's the code believe it or not for Sioux City, SD! :eek: )
NWA - Seattle to Honolulu and back 10 days later - worse trip of my life - NWA cancelled two flights on us - "equipment" problems, they lost our luggage, I was seasick for three days straight on our cruise, and my father died while we were in the middle of the South Pacific with no phone service!

Remember when Northwest Airlines used to be called Northwest Orient? :huh:
They and Pan Am used to be the only airlines flying transpacific back in the regulated days.

BTW: When was the UA crash of a DC-10 in SUX? (That's the code believe it or not for Sioux City, SD! :eek: )
July 1989. (Wikipedia's writeup)
United Flight 232, July 19, 1989 - DEN-ORD-PHL. I know that flight and date very, very well.
Why do you know it so well? I was in PHL too back then.

I haven’t told this story in a long time, but it is one that I remember every detail like it was yesterday.

In the summer of 1989, my wife, daughter (age 11), son (age 6) and I spent a week vacation at Keystone Resort in Colorado. Keystone, a winter ski area, was also a summer resort with lots of activities for adults and kids. We all loved it. After a great week there, we headed home. Our return flight from Denver back to Philadelphia was on Wednesday, July 19.

Our Denver to Philadelphia flight was United Flight 494. There was another United flight to Philadelphia about 90 minutes earlier, a one-stop through Chicago, but since we were driving down from Keystone that day, the later departure of 494 and the fact it was a non-stop was desirable. Flight 494 was a DC10 – a great plane and something I bragged about to our friends and family before we left. As far as our family and friends knew, were coming home from Denver July 19 on a United DC10. We also would have been OK on the earlier flight, and came close to having to book it because 494 was nearly sold out when we booked. That flight was also a DC10. It was United Flight 232.

We departed Denver on time. The flight was uneventful through landing at Philadelphia. As we taxied to the gate, a flight attendant made an ominous PA announcement. She asked that all passengers remain seated after we stop at the gate because the captain had some important information for us before we got off. Her voice was clearly choked with emotion. No one budged when we pulled into the gate.

After parking at the gate, the captain came on the PA. He announced, in a calm business-like manner, that another Philadelphia-bound United flight had made an emergency landing at Sioux City, Iowa. Because of that, the Philadelphia terminal had been closed to all but passengers with tickets (rare pre 9/11) and that anyone meeting us would be waiting outside security. He also added that we should be aware that there would be a large presence of news media outside security. He then asked for several parties he mentioned by name to remain on board (I later found out why).

1989 was before smart phones and even cell phones, so I had no idea what had happened or why an "emergency landing" by another flight in Sioux City would require special security arrangements and media attention in Philadelphia. The airside terminal, with no visitors, was very quiet. However, the public side of security was a mob scene with news crews and cameras and barely enough room to squeeze through the crowd. I overheard conversations and then realized what had happened. The other flight was Flight 232, and the "emergency landing" was a crash landing and over 100 were feared dead. Then it also occurred to me that as far as our family and friends knew, we were on that flight.

My mother heard about Flight 232 when they broke into regular Philadelphia TV programming with the new bulletin. She heard United, a DC10 from Denver to Philadelphia with a stop in Chicago. She called my wife’s family. TV had been on the scene at Sioux City when the crippled plane came in and was showing that landing over and over with the plane hitting, flipping, and bursting into flames. She thought, and in fact was certain, that her son, daughter-in-law, and two grandchildren were on that plane. She called Keystone, who could only say that we had checked out that morning. Keystone gave her the number for Stapleton Airport (the airport management office), who of course had no information. A short while later, the local Philadelphia news broadcast the number for a phone line set up by United for family to inquire about passengers on Flight 232. My mother was too upset to dial the phone. My brother called for her, and United told them we were on the other flight – Flight 494.

After I realized what had happened, I called my mother from baggage claim - about an hour after they had gotten the word from United. It was quite a phone call. My wife called her family. Thursday morning, I went into the office where my co-workers were literally waiting to see if I showed up (they were afraid to call my family). It was a little tough sleeping for a while. The feeling was a weird combination of relief and guilt.

One last item: the parties that were asked to stay on Flight 494 were part of families or groups that for various reasons had been split between the two flights. Some of them had loved ones on Flight 232. They were taken to a private area to be told what happened. That also explained the rather vague announcement given on our flight.

It was one of those days we will all remember forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW. Bill. I am happy that you were not on that plane. Thanks for sharing.

I sure am glad that, by some chance of luck, you managed to convince yourself to book United 494 instead of the ill-fated United 232. A slight change of mind, and you might not even be here today. We are all glad that you didn't end up on the crashed DC-10.

United 494 still exists today as a Mexico City-Houston-New York LaGuradia flight on an A319.

I recall that UAL flight 232. It's Captain, A. C. Haynes, was probably the most celebrated 'hero', for the way he handled the emergency, and for the lives saved, until "Sully" came along years later.....

LHR bad? Hell on earth? Yeah ok, I can go with that, as long as that festering 3rd world septic festering dump known as Chicago O'Hare has been wiped off the map.

LHR is like the garden of eden compared to that rancid tip.

Bill, that must have been quite an experience.
Incidentally, the inherent problems in burying engines within critical body structures was sort of known from dealing with uncontained engine failures in the Comet IVs. There is a reason that no new large plane with humongous engines buries them in body structures.

:hi: Great Story Bill! I'm sure that those of us who Fly ,or used to Fly often, have heard or experienced similar situations, I know I changed Flights many times for various reasons and I can only think of one time that a Flight i was originally booked on Crashed, it was in Mexico and the DC-8 hit a Mountain between Mexico City and Guadalajara while I was in Puerto Vallarta waiting on my rebooked Flight to Dallas! Just wasnt Our Time, call it Fate or Luck of the Draw or whatever! Today's Communication Systems, as we know, make it so much easier to notify people of things unlike back in the day during ya'lls experience!

I have the sad record of having flown in two aircraft that were later blown out of the sky by terrorists. They were

1. Pan Am 747 Clipper Maid of the Seas - the Lockerbie bombing. I flew on it from Hong Kong Kai Tak to Tokyo many moons back Pan Am 2.

2. Air India 747 Emperor Kanishka - the bombing off the coast of Ireland. I flew on it from New York JFK to Delhi Palam via London AI 102.

Why? Would you rather be on the later flight on the same plane? ;) :p

I think Betty is saying that you have such a bubbling personality that you never know when it may overload and burst! :p
Jis, actually I was going to say that I would ask you what planes you've been on before so I could make sure my plane wasn't one of them. But I might need a 10g tablet to keep track of all of them :giggle:

Dave, I was thinking more of 3 strikes and you're out. :eek:

I have the sad record of having flown in two aircraft that were later blown out of the sky by terrorists. They were
1. Pan Am 747 Clipper Maid of the Seas - the Lockerbie bombing. I flew on it from Hong Kong Kai Tak to Tokyo many moons back Pan Am 2.

2. Air India 747 Emperor Kanishka - the bombing off the coast of Ireland. I flew on it from New York JFK to Delhi Palam via London AI 102.
That's not great. What was the Pan Am flight going to? I think PA2 was the round-the-world that came from JFK and would have continued to SFO. Did they ever have SFO-NRT-HKG with a non-SP 747 or did they do SFO-HKG with a 747SP? I'm thinking about that HNL stop.

Thanks for the story, PRR 60.

It occurs to me that the folks on the United forum over at FlyerTalk.com would be very interested in it, although it's certainly understandable if you don't want to re-relive it.

That's not great. What was the Pan Am flight going to? I think PA2 was the round-the-world that came from JFK and would have continued to SFO. Did they ever have SFO-NRT-HKG with a non-SP 747 or did they do SFO-HKG with a 747SP? I'm thinking about that HNL stop.
I have no clue where they flew or did not back then except for the flights I took. I flew Tokyo to JFK on a 747SP on that trip.

Yes, Pan Am 1 and 2 were the round the world flights.

Back