Broadway Limited/Three Rivers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe said:
Does anybody know why the name of the train Broadway Limited was changed to the Three Rivers? I could never understand why the name change.
Joe
The route was shortened, and downgraded to Coaches as a section of the Capitol Limited, I guess it just didn't seem good to maintain a the name of a train thats a far cry from its pullman ancestor.

I could not agree more with Viewliner's answer.

The historical Broadway Limited made the trip in 16 hours(or maybe less, during some timetable periods) and was all pullman. One of the country's finest by anybody's measure.

There were also problems with maintaining the name "Super Chief" for what is now the "Southwest Chief", for similar reasons, objections from the Santa Fe Railroad (which operated the various Chiefs). But I would say the distinctions are not as serious in this case as with the Broadway.

The Three Rivers is no longer only a coach train, it now has a Sleeper and is not a section of the Cap.

However, even if this train got it's own full service dining car, I don't think we'll see the Broadway Limited name making a reappearance anytime soon.

It still ticks me off though that they use Broadway Ltd numbers on the Three Rivers. I believe when a name is retired, the number should be as well (unless it's 51 :lol: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back