Builder to Cardinal -Guaranteed?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exiled in Express

Lead Service Attendant
Is the CHI connection guaranteed from 8 to 50? The connection time is only 1:50 but Amtrak.com offers it up. What are the transportation alternatives should they be needed on a MSP-CHI-CIN routing?

I am excited that finally the Cardinal and I are going the same direction on the same day I just an not yhrilled by the chance of 300 miles of bus or 2 unplanned nights in Chicago.

EDIT:

This will be in early May so snow is not a problem on the eastern section of the Builder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats wrong with 2 nights in Chicago? its a great city.

I did Empire Builder to Cardinal trip on my way back from LA to New york via Portland via Coast Starlight. but of course I planned to sleep 2 nights in Chicago before boarding the cardinal.

That is indeed a guaranteed connection, 8 to 50.

I'm not sure just how many times it's been missed, but it does happen. In fact I was on a ride in July two summers ago that would have missed that connection. We barely made the Lake Shore that I was booked on.

Alternatives are pretty much waiting two days for the next run if you miss it. Perhaps if there are enough people, Amtrak will rent a van. The only other thing that I could see them doing is to put you on the next day's Hoosier State to Indianapolis and then arranging some other form of transit for you from there to Cinci.

I was on the Capitol Limited departing CHI a few months ago, and it was held for about an hour for passengers arriving from two inbound western trains. We were finishing up dinner when the second train finally arrived and the passengers made the cross-platform transfer.

Whats wrong with 2 nights in Chicago? its a great city.

I did Empire Builder to Cardinal trip on my way back from LA to New york via Portland via Coast Starlight. but of course I planned to sleep 2 nights in Chicago before boarding the cardinal.
Nothing at all wrong with 2 nights in Chicago, if I know that they will be occurring and Amtrak is paying. The trip I am inquiring about requires me to be at the destination 15 hours after scheduled arrival so it would be a distant consolation prize.

I don't think Amtrak will pay for two nights in Chicago. But you never know? We were recently on the EB from Portland to Chicago to connect to Cap Limited in Chicago. We arrived about 5 1/2 hours late in Chicago (mostly due to BNSF). There were several Cardinal passengers, and I think that they were just offered a bus ticket to their destination - plus the difference between the bus ticket and their Amtrak ticket - in cash. Some did get a hotel and cash for meals (we also missed the Cap Limited).

Is the CHI connection guaranteed from 8 to 50? The connection time is only 1:50 but Amtrak.com offers it up. What are the transportation alternatives should they be needed on a MSP-CHI-CIN routing?

I am excited that finally the Cardinal and I are going the same direction on the same day I just an not yhrilled by the chance of 300 miles of bus or 2 unplanned nights in Chicago.

EDIT:

This will be in early May so snow is not a problem on the eastern section of the Builder.
Umm, I can remember a storm in May that dumped 24 inches of snow on Minot. But to your point, Amtrak does guarantee the connection. Last fall I was even able to convince AGR to push my Empire Builder trip back a day to catch the Cardinal when it was carrying the Great Dome. But I paid for the night in Chicago that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back