Bush Admin still trying to dismantle Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

railman

The Bush Administration recently re-stated it's intention to dismantle Amtrak as a federally-owned corporation. The plan includes turning over the operation of some or all of the long-distance trains to private enterprise, with operational funding responsiblilities being laid at the feet of the various states.

My question is what has candidate Kerry had to say about all of this? Anything? Nothing? I've seen his voting record on Amtrak but I've not been successful in finding a comprehensive statement regarding Amtrak specifically. Anyone?

It's another example of I'll believe it when I see it. While I'm fearful that this could happen, I firmly believe that little, if anything will change, at least as far as getting worse. Maybe if Kerry gets elected, things will be marginally easier, I suspect maybe that administration would offer slightly more funding than Bush, and have a little more coformity to it.

Bush is too busy building railroads in Iraq to worry about losing ours. Hopefully - being an election year - the bunch in Congress will turn a deaf ear toward all this baloney. The "experts" have already said privatization is just a code word for shut down.

More to the point, elect people to the House and Senate who support rail. They are the ones that will decide Amtrak's fate, not GWB or Kerry.

panamaclipper said:
More to the point, elect people to the House and Senate who support rail. They are the ones that will decide Amtrak's fate, not GWB or Kerry.
Exactly, I think Amtrak is getting more support from the House and Senate than it did in the past. It's the administration that's the problem now.

Amfleet said:
panamaclipper said:
Exactly, I think Amtrak is getting more support from the House and Senate than it did in the past. It's the administration that's the problem now.
Actually it's a bit of both. The President can set the tone for Congress with their requests and wishes, but while Congress will often follow some what closely to the President's wishes, it can also wander off in its own direction.

Having both a strong President, who's Amtrak positive, along with an Amtrak pro Congress is what we need. If the two are conflicting against one another, or are both con Amtrak, then we have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back