Bush To Tap CSX Head For Treasury Sec.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tp49

Engineer
Heard on KCBS on the train home tonight that President Bush is going to nominate John Snow head of CSX Transportation to replace the recently resigned Treasury Secretary. I would like to open up the debate as to what effect we believe this will have on Amtrak in the present and future.

I feel this will either have no effect or a negative effect on Amtrak as the job of the Treasury Secrertary is to assist in the implementation and communication of the economic goals of the administration. As such I would not expect to see a substantial increase of Amtrak's subsidy but I see it being the level set in the House not the amount the Senate recommended. I hope this is not the case but you never know...

You can read the article in the Washington Post here. It does require you place a year of birth and a zip code so make up a number to view it. :)

TP,

It's hard to say just what influence John Snow might have. On the one hand everyone expected that Tommy Thompson would still exert and have pro Amtrak influence in the White House. While its hard to know for sure, it looks as though he's been unable to do much. Of course I suppose that it's possible that the While House wanted either less or zero funding for Amtrak and Tommy talked them into the current number they are offering.

So based upon that, one could believe that Snow would have no influence. On the other hand, Snow will be one more negative Amtrak voice within a White House full of anti-Amtrak/pro big oil people. So at the end of the day when the votes are tallied, that's one more no vote for Amtrak.

So hang on it's going to be an interesting ride. I've also recently read that a Republican Congressman who wants more Amtrak funding could not get the White House to budge off of its $521M. If that goes through as it stands now, then it will be bye-bye Amtrak. Gunn will have no choice but to close down. :(

Then add in the fact the John McCain has already publicly stated that he plans to hold committee hearing on Amtrak, once the new Congress is in session. Since he now once again controls that committee, you can be sure that he’s going to do whatever he can to hurt Amtrak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back