Business class on Pennsylvanian?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard R

I am hoping for info to help decide whether to upgrade to business class on a trip between Pittsburgh and New York later this month. I haven't taken Amtrak before.

I'm confused be the info I have found regarding the trains on this route (trains 42 and 43.) Do the trains now have 2/1 seating in BC or are they 2/2 as in coach? The 2/2 seating sounds very much like the coach configuration with the only benefit being fewer people and free drinks. The 2/1 seating in the snack car sounds as if it is worth the difference.

All info and opinion will be appreciated.

BC on the Penny is now the 2/2 seating. It's been the 2/2 seating since October or September. But The bigger difference is 18 to 60 seats. BC with 18 seats would ALWAYS sell out and now BC rarely sells out. Can you blame Amtrak for trying to get more money?

Business Class on the Pennsylvanian now uses former Metroliner coach cars. Those are Amfleet I cars with 2-2 seating and the small Amfleet gun slit windows. The regular coach seating uses Amfleet II coaches with larger windows and seat pitch similar to the Business Class car. I would find the coach seating in Amfleet II preferable to the seating in the Amfleet I Business Class car. The added BC amenities (small soda, newspaper) would not make a difference to me. Ride coach and save a couple of dollars.

The demise of the 2X1 seating in BC on that route was due to the success of it!
mad.gif
So Amtrak figured that if they put on a full regular BC car, they can sell more BC tickets (read earn more revenue)!

The demise of the 2X1 seating in BC on that route was due to the success of it!
mad.gif
So Amtrak figured that if they put on a full regular BC car, they can sell more BC tickets (read earn more revenue)!
I think that's the best way of putting it! :cool: Went BC from PAO-PHL just for the heck of it a few weeks ago on a points run. It wasn't the same! I felt like I was riding a regional! :eek:hboy:

Thank you all for your feedback. I'll stick with coach and post with any observations that may add to the discussion.

Actually, since all but one of the cars are Amfleet II, the coach is better than BC!

On a sidenote, I was talking to the Altoona stationmaster, and he said that after the change, the BC patronage stayed steady, and in some cases, went up. He said it was mostly because the people that choose BC are older and would rather have a coach with fewer kids and noise than pay less for a better seat.

Awww... I'm planning a trip from Pittsburgh to New York on #44 next month... and am sad to hear it's 2x2 seating. I was thinking it was the nice business class cars they run on most of the Midwest train with the 2x1 seating.

Oh well. I am sure I can always switch to coach if I wanted... but I think I'll keep the BC tickets because like the previous posted said... maybe they will be less kids and screaming babies in there.

Actually, since all but one of the cars are Amfleet II, the coach is better than BC!

On a sidenote, I was talking to the Altoona stationmaster, and he said that after the change, the BC patronage stayed steady, and in some cases, went up. He said it was mostly because the people that choose BC are older and would rather have a coach with fewer kids and noise than pay less for a better seat.
I would beg to differ on the noise factor... Keep in mind that Business Travels use that BC car. They will yap and yap and yap on their cell phones. Now I was lucky enough to not have any of those when I did my points run a few weeks ago. But, I did travel to JST about a year ago to look at a school and their were some Business Men who wouldn't shut up from LNC to HAR. Then again after for a good hour. So a good two hours on the phone. Keep in mind also their is NO age limit in BC. We were also with a 6 and 4 year old. Who were quiet because they were kept busy. Amtrak just asks for a general age range of 2-15 of the child. I've been on AE FC with a newborn! The FCA's weren't happy and told the passengers to "not do it again" as did other travelers. I wasn't one of them. Of course the little one cried most of the way from NYP-BOS. :ph34r: Just some proof that theres no age limit in BC or FC.

Awww... I'm planning a trip from Pittsburgh to New York on #44 next month... and am sad to hear it's 2x2 seating. I was thinking it was the nice business class cars they run on most of the Midwest train with the 2x1 seating.

Oh well. I am sure I can always switch to coach if I wanted... but I think I'll keep the BC tickets because like the previous posted said... maybe they will be less kids and screaming babies in there.
Keep the BC seat for points! :lol: :cool:

I travel Greensburg PA to Harrisburg or Philly often and always use BC on the Pennsylvanian. I never rode it with a 2:1 configuration, so I don't miss it. Plus, I don't know what gun slit windows are, but I've always enjoyed good viewing in BC. Plus, even though I often take a small child with me, BC is generally quiet. I'm one of the business people who could be yap yap yapping loudly on my cell phone, but I don't and over many, many trips have not encountered others doing so either. The free drinks are a bit of a chuckle, though!

I do BC if I'm traveling PGH - PHL or PGH - NYP. It's a minor charge to upgrade and the car is a LOT quieter. You really get to some of the.... unsavory passengers and that alone is worth the upgrade.

I also almost always snag a "booth" with a table to work on while on the trip. I don't know if Coach has these available.

Also, when leaving Pittsburgh, grab a seat on the right side of the train to get the best view at Horseshoe Curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back