Business class on Regionals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobWeaver

Lead Service Attendant
I'll be hitting the rails after an almost 4 year long hiatus early next month, from Lynchburg to Newark on the state-supported service, train #176. Admittedly, I have been out of the Amtrak loop and away from this forum for quite some time. I have already reserved my coach class ticket using AGR points on this segment. My question is, and I know it's been discussed before, is business class worth the extra 3,500 points? Does this train run an Amfleet II as its business class car, and have extra space that comes along with it? Any added perks?

CM

LYH to NWK is about 7 and a half hours. I'd say upgrade IMO. BC is an Amfleet I car that has 60 seats. The only real perk in the car it's self is the extra legroom. It's very rare for a Amfleet II to fill in as BC. Normally it'll be a Amfleet I Coach car. Other perks include Free Soft drinks(soda, water, sometimes coffee depending on the LSA). That I should mention the drinks are normally warm. But for a 7 and a half hour trip I'd call AGR and upgrade!

For a 7 1/2 hour trip, I might pay to upgrade. However, I don't think it's worth double the points. (3K vs 6.5K) IMHO
unsure.gif

LYH to NWK is about 7 and a half hours. I'd say upgrade IMO. BC is an Amfleet I car that has 60 seats. The only real perk in the car it's self is the extra legroom. It's very rare for a Amfleet II to fill in as BC. Normally it'll be a Amfleet I Coach car. Other perks include Free Soft drinks(soda, water, sometimes coffee depending on the LSA). That I should mention the drinks are normally warm. But for a 7 and a half hour trip I'd call AGR and upgrade!
Thanks for the reminder on this info. I went ahead and upgraded. I figure at 6'2", the extra space is worth the extra points needed, as well as the fact that I don't ride as often as I used to, so I might as well make the trip as enjoyable as I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reminder on this info. I went ahead and upgraded. I figure at 6'2", the extra space is worth the extra points needed, as well as the fact that I don't ride as often as I used to, so I might as well make the trip as enjoyable as I can.
I'm 6 foot and do the almost 6 hour trip from RTE to PHL in coach. While my legs are a little cramped when I get to PHL it's still doable. But 7 and a half hours is pretty long in coach so I'd upgrade any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back