Business class vs.coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A quick visit to seatguru.com will easily debunk this statement.
A quick visit to seatguru.com will easily prove you are once again wrong.

I find on that website, the typically airline BC seat is still narrower than an Amtrak coach seat.
What was I wrong about before? I am always right :giggle:

How wide is an amtrak coach seat? I didn't see that information listed at seatguru.com.

What was I wrong about before? I am always right :giggle:

How wide is an amtrak coach seat? I didn't see that information listed at seatguru.com.
Amfleet and Superliner 2-2 seating width is 41 inches across both seats (no middle armrest) - 20.5 inches per seat. That applies to both coach and the Amfleet 2-2 version of Business Class.

Acela Business Class seat width is 21 inches. Acela First Class seat width is 23 inches.

So in conclusion, while amtrak coach seats are definitely wider than most coach airline seats and many airline BC seats, it seems that amtrak BC seats are not necessarily wider than amtrak coach seats (except on the acela with the distinction being business & 1st class and on the special routes that have the 2-1 seating).

However, on amtrak on the NEC regionals it appears that the BC upgrade appears to just get you a warm soda and more leg room. This is definitely a difference between business class on airlines where a business class seat gets you a wider seat, more legroom, free alcoholic drinks, and sometimes a meal.

Thus I think we can all agree that at the end of the day, wouldn't you rather just take a train? Preferably acela 1st class or a bedroom in a sleeper. :blush:

Airline Business Class also includes free meals and drinks. Travelers used to airline Business Class are in for a disappointment if they think Amtrak's version is comparable.
There is slight confusion in terminology here. Airlines typically have Business Class in what are three class planes which are mostly found on international routes, and a few choice domestic routes in US. The upper class in most US airlines in US domestic service is domestic First Class. This is very different from international First Class, international Business Class, and even international so call Business-First Class. It is this domestic First Class where you get a pretty good free meal. In international Business Class you get an even better meal and even better accommodation typically than in domestic First Class.

In addition there are premium economy seats on some airlines which gives an additional inch or two of pitch in several rows of seats in the front of the economy cabin. The seat width is the same as regular economy seats for these at least in US airlines. Certain foreign airlines on international routes do have a bigger difference between economy and premium economy seats.

Typical real Business Class or Business First Class on international routes of reputable airlines now progressively include a lie flat bed. This is significantly better than the best Amtrak seats for getting some zzzzs in my opinion. But that is irrelevant since these do not typically fly internal routes except in a few isolated cases, in flights that use equipment on continuing itineraries from international flights, or in special designated premium service and which costs an arm and a leg. When you get them they are really nice.

Now we're getting somewhere.

This chart provides a handy reference of all business class seating for comparison:

http://www.seatguru.com/charts/longhaul_business_class.php

Unsurprisingly, there are many airlines with BC seats less than 20.5 inches and many with seats greater than that. In almost all cases there's going to be an armrest, so your neighbor is going to be a little bit further away from you than he is in an Amfleet seat.

I'd still rather take Amtrak!
biggrin.gif

The 8 bucks you'll spend on Downeaster B/C is the best bargain on the Amtrak system hands down. I'm not going to get down on my hands and knees to measure anything but I will tell you that the Downeaster is in a class by itself. The BC cars are captive (the equipment stays the same) and are catered by a contractor. The B/C staff works more for tips as they are not Amtrak employees. The selection is light years better than the NEC trains and the attendant will deliver your drinks as mentioned in other posts. Last B/C on the NEC netted a groan when I asked for a cup of ice from the LSA when the comp drinks were sitting on the back counter.Put the kids in the two side which usually follows the coast line and enjoy the single side for yourself. Enjoy your trip first class for peanuts. BTW, my grand-daughter goes right to sleep as soon as the train turns a wheel; wish I could say the same about some of the other pax. Have a great trip.

This chart provides a handy reference of all business class seating for comparison:

Unsurprisingly, there are many airlines with BC seats less than 20.5 inches and many with seats greater than that. In almost all cases there's going to be an armrest, so your neighbor is going to be a little bit further away from you than he is in an Amfleet seat.
You really need to use the info about Short Haul Business/First Class seats since those are the predominant kind that you will find on routes that sort of compete with Amtrak. The Long Haul Business Class seats that you compared with are used mostly on overseas flights, which is something that Amtrak is unlikely to directly compete with on a per route basis.

I have seen some MASSIVE Americans waddling to their Amtrak seats in coach, they don't seem to get stuck in them.. the seats are like armchairs, just huge. Anyone who needs more legroom or seating area would probably be too big to get on the train!
I'm 6'4 and the standard Amtrak coach seats don't offer enough legroom for me. They seem comfortable enough at first, but after 5-6 hours in one of those things (which is usually the minimum length of any trip that I take), after I've slid down a bit in my seat, the guy in front of me has reclined his chair and my knees start banging into things for an extended period of time, I start cursing the tiny amount of legroom.

I always opt for business class if it's available.

And yes, business class is usually quieter. Maybe it's the time of day that I usually travel, which is either before or after actual business hours, so there's no cell phone yapping when I ride, usually. Just a lot of guys and girls tapping on their laptops or reading the newspaper.

Last edited by a moderator:

You really need to use the info about Short Haul Business/First Class seats since those are the predominant kind that you will find on routes that sort of compete with Amtrak. The Long Haul Business Class seats that you compared with are used mostly on overseas flights, which is something that Amtrak is unlikely to directly compete with on a per route basis.
I considered that but was concerned that someone would object that I was comparing "First Class" on the airlines to "Business Class" on Amtrak. Your earlier post did a good job of breaking down how it isn't that simple.

Has anyone here experienced the Maple Leaf Business Class? Is it better than the NE Regionals?

Thanks
Just came off the Leaf this past Thursday, riding from Toronto to NY. The Leaf operates with the Club-Dinette car, which is the special car with the 2&1 faux leather seating. If you're going any distance on this train, I highly recommend BC for the better seats. And you will get free non-alcoholic drinks.

One word of caution, if you're coming east/south on the Leaf, get to the cafe car early. Amtrak has no way to restock things either in Toronto or Niagara Falls, NY on the way back to NY. Therefore the train runs with what it carried out of NY the day before. Once it sells out, and typically most things do sell out (certainly the most popular things), it's gone.

As I will be getting on on Leaf in Buffalo (after making the connection from the eastbound Lakeshore Limited), would things perhaps still be in stock by that point? The person on the phone said that points further east wouldn't be possible to make a connection, so it looks like I'm stuck with Buffalo.

Thanks.

Has anyone here experienced the Maple Leaf Business Class? Is it better than the NE Regionals?

Thanks
Just came off the Leaf this past Thursday, riding from Toronto to NY. The Leaf operates with the Club-Dinette car, which is the special car with the 2&1 faux leather seating. If you're going any distance on this train, I highly recommend BC for the better seats. And you will get free non-alcoholic drinks.

One word of caution, if you're coming east/south on the Leaf, get to the cafe car early. Amtrak has no way to restock things either in Toronto or Niagara Falls, NY on the way back to NY. Therefore the train runs with what it carried out of NY the day before. Once it sells out, and typically most things do sell out (certainly the most popular things), it's gone.

As I will be getting on on Leaf in Buffalo (after making the connection from the eastbound Lakeshore Limited), would things perhaps still be in stock by that point? The person on the phone said that points further east wouldn't be possible to make a connection, so it looks like I'm stuck with Buffalo.

Thanks.
Yes, going west/north towards Toronto the Leaf shouldn't have run out of anything by that point in time. It's coming home to NY that they run out of things because again, they can only carry just so much out of NY. If they didn't have to leave a fridge or two open for the VIA crews, they would probably be able to actually carry enough food stuffs so as to not run out. But Amtrak has to leave a couple of fridges open for the VIA cafe attendant to store their stuff when they board in Niagara Falls, Ontario.

And in your case, if you're going north of the border, you'll have the choice of either sampling Amtrak's wares or waiting until after you clear customs on the Canadian side and sampling VIA's wares. The VIA attendant will accept both US and Canadian currencies, so no worries there. And VIA actually sells Coke, something that Amtrak hasn't done for years as they have an exclusive contract with Pepsi.

Regarding connecting to the Leaf further east, Amtrak will only guarantee Buffalo Depew as the connection point. You would have to book 2 separate trips if you wanted to ride further east to cut down on the layover time. If you do that, it also becomes your responsability to monitor the progress of your eastbound train and ensure that you get off at an earlier stop if you are running late. If you blow the connection, Amtrak won't help you. If indeed you try this, if you wake up to find that you are running late, I would seek out a conductor and explain what you are doing and ask their advice as to which stop is the furthest east you should risk going to.

Earlier this year we rode the NE regional coach to DC and returned "business class" We really didn't see that much of an advantage except that you don't find many of the lower classes there. You already have a good amount of room on any train. On an airlime flight they cram you in like an animal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Earlier this year we rode the NE regional coach to DC and returned "business class" We really didn't see that much of an advantage except that you don't find many of the lower classes there. You already have a good amount of room on any train. On an airlime flight they cram you in like an animal.
"Lower classes"?? Care to dig yourself into a deeper hole and give everyone a definition of who you are referring to?

Thanks
Never been on a NE regional but BC on the Leaf is much more comfortable than coach, 2 and 1 seating, better seats, more leg room, etc. Worth every penny for the long haul IMHO.

Gord

Thanks
Never been on a NE regional but BC on the Leaf is much more comfortable than coach, 2 and 1 seating, better seats, more leg room, etc. Worth every penny for the long haul IMHO.
That would be better than an NE Regional, which is 2+2.

It really is a lot of legroom, though. I feel like some people are too quick to dismiss that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back