Bussed from Jackson to NOL - lunch?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyJourneys

Train Attendant
Hi everyone,

Due to the fire on a Louisiana bridge, I'm being bussed from Jackson MS to New Orleans. I'll probably miss lunch on the train. The Amtrak agent said they'd give passengers time to eat lunch in Jackson before bussing them to points farther south, and that there was a cafeteria at the station - does anyone know if that's true? If not, is the area safe to walk to a restaurant?

Thanks for your help!

I don't see a cafeteria

Untitled.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been in tbe Jackson Station since last fall when there were just Vending Machines in the Intermodel Station( shared with Greyhound/City Buses).Its possible things have changed.

The area is undergoing gentrification, old buildings being turned into Condos etc. It is safe enough but not much around.

Jackson is the State Capital but the Downtown area is to the East of Union Station, and I don't believe you will have time to walk to/from the area where State workers eat, shop etc..

I'd ask the Train Crews before I left the Station area,especially since changing from train to Busses can result in Clusterflubs,ie missing luggage and a poor seat)

You probably be better off to either take some food and drink with you or buy Amchow from the Cafe Car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how long they plan to give you "for lunch/dinner", but when I was on a late CS connecting to the EB, they bussed connecting passengers from Albany up to PDX. The busses departed within 10 minutes of the CS arrival - as soon as they got the passengers and luggage on the busses!

Yes, you can get food at the Jackson station, as both Amtrak and Greyhound use the station, Greyhound as a eating place there, you can get a sandwich, or a hot meal, the fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and green beans were pretty good when I was there last month, and you can get your food to go.

I did Jackson last Fall and the area around the station is in the process of being renovated (plenty of amazing old buildings that have sadly been allowed to fall into disrepeair but are thankfully being brought back) although it appears the work is halted for the moment.

The aforemanetioned King Edward is a good place albeit on the costly side. If you have time to walk downtown there are more choices there.

I don't think this area is at all dangerous.

Thanks to everyone - it looks like I had more options than I thought! Your help is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back