Buying 2 coach seats for 1 person?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just FYI, I've been told before that Amtrak DOES oversell LD trains by up to 4% during peak season. In my experience working the Empire Builder during the summer months, it does happen that passengers sit in the lounge occasionally until a seat in a coach is available for them.

Hello all. I am a "person of size" and was researching this topic because I absolutely need two seats to ride coach. This thread is the number one link on google regarding buying two sears, so I wanted to add my information. Just so it stands out for my fellow searchers I'm going to make it big and bold:

The official policy is you can buy two seats for one person under two specific circumstances (medical disability, obesity) -- else it is explicitly disallowed.

This is covered in the Amtrak Service Standards manual, section J4. You can find a copy of the entire 700+ page manual here: http://www.governmentattic.org/4docs/AmtrakServiceStandardsManual_2011.pdf. It was obtained via a FOIA request, and is not publicly avaliable on Amtrak's site.

Below is the relevant section. Note that all bold/italics is present in the original document, and is not my emphasis.

4. Coach
a) Each Coach seat reservation entitles passengers to occupy only one seat per person.
b) An additional seat may be reserved for a Service Assistance Animal accompanying a blind, deaf or mobility-impaired person at no charge.
c) A passenger who requires two seats due to a disability, including obesity caused by a disability, a leg in a cast, a hip operation, may book two seats and pay only one fare.
d) A passenger who requires two seats due to size alone, not caused by a disability, may book two seats but must pay the lowest applicable fare for both seats.
e) A passenger cannot book two seats simply because they do not want anyone sitting next to them. If the train is full, it is very hard to explain to standing passengers why that empty seat cannot be used.
f) A passenger cannot book a Coach seat and a Sleeping Car accommodation, just so they can move back and forth between the two spaces

That being said, almost zero people at amtrak seem to know this is the official policy.

In the post above, it should be noted that is not the latest version of the Manual, however on another forum someone with access stated that the relevant parts haven't changed.

I thought amtrak didn't oversell their trains like planes do? It seriously makes no sense that one is not able to purchase two coach seats if one doesn't want to have a companion next to them. I really do think amtrak should revise this policy so that is it more in line with the airlines. Southwest will let ANYONE - a "customer of size" or just any person - purchase two seats in order to have the seat next to them available. And since southwest doesn't have assigned seating, it sounds just like amtrak in the coaches to me.
No they don't but nothing stops people from boarding the wrong train. Happens all the time on the Surfliner. Business class is reserved, but people will hop on a different train and now it oversold. The conductors won't throw them off the train and now you have a oversold train.

I bought 16 tickets a few years ago. 2 of us sat next to each other. We were spread out over a couple cars. We had younger kids (10 - 12) and had to work very hard to get them at least close to one of the adults.

It was late at night when we boarded, but it was VERY difficult to get people to sit up and share their seat space. The conductor was no help. I had to go and wake people up and get them to move over so we could share the seats. It was THE single worst train experience we have ever had.

CZ. Boarded in Omaha.

It's been a few years but I used to do it on the way north from Florida on silver meteor. Not only do you not get some stranger next to you, you can sleep across 2 seats. I had no problem with personnel not honoring right to both seats. It was less $ than a sleeper . of course now I only travel ld routes by sleeper. AGR points help.

I bought 16 tickets a few years ago. 2 of us sat next to each other. We were spread out over a couple cars. We had younger kids (10 - 12) and had to work very hard to get them at least close to one of the adults.

It was late at night when we boarded, but it was VERY difficult to get people to sit up and share their seat space. The conductor was no help. I had to go and wake people up and get them to move over so we could share the seats. It was THE single worst train experience we have ever had.

CZ. Boarded in Omaha.
If you have 16 people traveling together you need to make sure that is on your PNR (reservation record). That way it will be on the manifest which the crew does read. They won't know you have a group of 16 unless you do that. The coach attendent can then save seats together.

If you have 16 people traveling together you need to make sure that is on your PNR (reservation record)
Oh I did. I tried everything to make sure we were seated together or at least some of us together. I was told unless I had a party of 20 there was nothing they could do.

I even called the day before we boarded (someone from AMTRAK had told me to do that. When we boarded the train we were told there was nothing they could do about it... we had to be a party of 20 or more and they didn't save seats. And we needed to find our seats and be quick about it and not wake people up...

But the return trip home was a different story - happy to report. They greeted us at the station and said we have seats ready for your group. It was a night and day difference (literally - lol!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back