Buying AGR points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So there is no points plus cash if one is short on points for a trip?
For now, you have to do it the "hard way", and purchase the needed points as a separate transaction.
Darn. I thought that was a "feature" of AGR 2.0. I am going on a cross country trip next year w/ the family and would have had enough points under 1.0 but just figured I'd make up the difference w/ cash. Hmm. Perhaps it will be worked out by next year. If not, I will have to buy some points or figure out how to use the most points and pay cash for a leg or two.

On the one hand you'd think they could formally put something ersatz together as a stopgap. Yes, I know, small department, etc., but at some point you can develop a kludge that achieves the rough goal (e.g. only allow points-and-cash purchases in $50 or $100 increments for the time being).

On the other hand...as noted this has been a complete and utter disaster from virtually every perspective (PR, rollout, honesty, etc.). On some level absolutely none of the changes, even the website overhaul, were actually needed...and the pile of half-truths was utterly insulting.

But I digress...

So there is no points plus cash if one is short on points for a trip?
For now, you have to do it the "hard way", and purchase the needed points as a separate transaction.
Darn. I thought that was a "feature" of AGR 2.0. I am going on a cross country trip next year w/ the family and would have had enough points under 1.0 but just figured I'd make up the difference w/ cash. Hmm. Perhaps it will be worked out by next year. If not, I will have to buy some points or figure out how to use the most points and pay cash for a leg or two.
I called the AGR service center in early January (about two weeks prior to the startup date of AGR 2.0) and the Points + Cash option was one of the questions I asked about. The AGR representative noted that they had heard that was an option, but candidly admitted that AGR reps had not been told much about the changes---even as soon as days before the program was to be implemented. I got the impression that the changes were a work-in-progress, and from what I have seen and the resulting comments on AU, I tend to think that was by design and that perhaps further revision and tweaking as the year goes on will probably be the norm, even perhaps as a result of customer kvetching.

I look at buying points as a way of "saving up" for future trips. That said, I know there are those who will pop up saying there are better ways to "save". Perhaps not as good a deal now than it was prior to the current but like pointed out by AmtrakBlue, you may want to just pad your account. This past promo, I passed on purchasing points for my account but, I did purchase points on my wife's account.
I am generally in agreement with that philosophy. Last fall, I needed to take an unexpected trip and at the time I needed to purchase a ticket in order to guarantee accommodations, my credit card was experiencing issues which prevented the transaction. I could either make a special trip to the nearest staffed Amtrak station in neighboring state---or simply redeem AGR points. So I did the latter for the outbound portion of the trip. Instead of literally having to pay cash and being treated like a potential terrorist for doing so, I got the VIP treatment from the AGR service center (though I know there are exceptions, every time I have had to deal with them has been very pleasant, unlike the regular reservations call center, where its a crapshoot at best).
One can yap about it being a poor investment or an investment in the future equivalent of drachma, but it does have a tangible current value and can be the only expedient way for purchasing travel. As such, I plan on taking advantage of the current points purchasing opportunity and replenishing my points used.

One can yap about it being a poor investment or an investment in the future equivalent of drachma, but it does have a tangible current value and can be the only expedient way for purchasing travel. As such, I plan on taking advantage of the current points purchasing opportunity and replenishing my points used.
My advice is only intended for readers who consider investing to be a logical math based financial decision. I have no intention of trying to sway people who "invest" based on their love for a hobby and/or their emotional desires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some how, it seems to me that buying points is a lost. When I consider the increase in points cost, the devalued points value when it comes to getting the reward you want, I just can't see the point of buying them.

Back