buying now versus rail sale later

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scott

Hi guys,

I know it's a ways off, but next June I'll be traveling NY to CHi and then on to Omaha. Either Three Rivers or Lakeshore to Chicago. My question: should I wait until March/April to see what bargains appear on the rail sale (or e-bay)? Or is it unlikely that I would get a great deal for late june travel?

Will I get the best price by booking NOW online?

Thanks for any advice

Scott

Well, that's the tough thing with Amtrak - you just never know. My advice for you - and I have done it myself and it seems to work great - is to purchase the tickets NOW while the prices are the lowest via Amtrak's web site. Do not include any fare promotions that would not allow you to refund the tickets for their full value. So prepay for the tickets in their entirety through Amtrak's site and click the "pick up at station option," then just wait it out.

You will know that your tickets are held for the lowest possible price, but if a rail sale or eBay deal shows up you can snatch it right away and then call Amtrak to refund the original tickets you purchased now. That's why it's important to click "pick up at station" so Amtrak can just cancel the tickets and refund your money without you actually having to physically return the tickets to Amtrak. Does this make sense?

:huh:

Also, you mentioned you would opt for traveling by rail sale or eBay if available, which makes me think you probably aren't planning on getting a sleeper. If you book the tickets for this trip now in coach for this trip, you just might get lucky and Amtrak might call you up and offer you sleeper space at a heavily discounted rate. While this has a slim chance since you will be traveling in June, you just never know and it's worth a shot. Good luck!

Allen's advice is excellent. There are two things in life that are certain: taxes go up and so do Amtrak prices. I booked 4 months early and saved $200.00.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the great tip. I'll do that. One more question: Would AAA be a discounted rate that couldn't be refunded? I wouldn't think so, but you never know.

Now all I have to decide is whether to take the LSL or Three Rivers...I like the idea of getting into Chicago a bit early, but I want a nice train ride...and MOST importantly...a nice lounge to hang out in. Don't really care about a diner. Last suggestions??

Thanks again

scott said:
Hi guys,Thanks for the great tip. I'll do that. One more question: Would AAA be a discounted rate that couldn't be refunded? I wouldn't think so, but you never know.
Yes: AAA discounted tickets are refundable. The AAA discount does not change the underlying terms and restrictions of the original fare.

scott said:
Now all I have to decide is whether to take the LSL or Three Rivers...I like the idea of getting into Chicago a bit early, but I want a nice train ride...and MOST importantly...a nice lounge to hang out in. Don't really care about a diner. Last suggestions??
My advice would be to take the LSL. The LSL is a very big train, often times more than twenty cars (including RoadRailers and Express). As far as passenger cars go I think it can get up to 12-15 cars, or something along those lines. The LSL has an Amfleet II Lounge which looks similar to this on the inside:

Amfleet%20II%20Lounge%20-%20Tables.jpg

Amfleet%20II%20Lounge%20-%20Snack%20Bar.jpg

The Three Rivers has a Horizon or Amfleet I lounge, which can vary widely, from just a snack bar, no tables, to tables on both sides of the snack bar. The LSL crews out of Albany are great guys, and the scenery is awesome.

battalion51 said:
The Three Rivers has a Horizon or Amfleet I lounge, which can vary widely, from just a snack bar, no tables, to tables on both sides of the snack bar. The LSL crews out of Albany are great guys, and the scenery is awesome.
Well the scenery is pretty awesome on the 3R's too. After all one does go through the famous Horseshoe Curve. :)

As for the crews, he won't be associating with the engineer at all and only very limitedly with the conductor or AC. On the other hand the on board service crews, which he will be associating with, can vary widely from good to bad on the LSL.

I would actually suggest the Three Rivers. You can usually be garranteed a Horizon Dinette/Lounge which has 10-12 tables on either side of a snack bar. The interior is similar to an Amfleet II car, except the windows are noticably smaller.

Also, the LSL will not always have a nice Amfleet II Lounge. Remember the Lounge comes from Boston and Southhampton Street can sometimes only send out an Amfleet I Cafe, if no extra Amfleet II cars are avalible (which is usally the case).

Thanks guys for the tip, and thanks Battalion, for the photo. I've been curious as to what the Amfleet II lounge might look like. Looks like a toss up though, as to service, lounge car and scenery.

I found the online REFUND policy to be a bit vague, so wrote to Amtrak. They promptly wrote back that except for some of the shorter routes, there would be a $30 fee to pay if I cancelled the ticket! I was going to take JC's advice but now need to rethink. Perhaps I'll just go ahead and buy the ticket with the AAA discount. I doubt any great deals would pop up on Ebay or on the Amtrak Rail Sale for late June anyway.

Lastly, anyone have any stats as to how often the LSL does run or not run the Amfleet II coaches?

Thanks again all

Scott

Scott,

The coaches are almost always Amfleet II's on the LSL. It's only the cafe car that seems to vary widely.

scott said:
Thanks guys for the tip, and thanks Battalion, for the photo. I've been curious as to what the Amfleet II lounge might look like. Looks like a toss up though, as to service, lounge car and scenery.
I found the online REFUND policy to be a bit vague, so wrote to Amtrak. They promptly wrote back that except for some of the shorter routes, there would be a $30 fee to pay if I cancelled the ticket! I was going to take JC's advice but now need to rethink. Perhaps I'll just go ahead and buy the ticket with the AAA discount. I doubt any great deals would pop up on Ebay or on the Amtrak Rail Sale for late June anyway.

Lastly, anyone have any stats as to how often the LSL does run or not run the Amfleet II coaches?

Thanks again all

Scott
Ah, you're right. I had forgotten about that "official policy". That's strange, though, I have NEVER been charged it even though I have both exchanged and refunded tickets many many times in many different station locations (and even canceled them over the phone like I mentioned - they didn't charge me a fee either). I would still advise booking the tickets while they're at their lowest price. If a rail sale or eBay deal does come up later on, you can always call Amtrak and see what they tell you on the phone when you try to cancel the tickets. If they don't charge the fee, great. Cancel and book the cheaper tickets. If they do try to charge a fee (again, I have yet to see them actually do so) then you could evaluate the price difference between the rail sale or ebay tickets and the ones you already have to see if doing so would get you the cheaper price. Safest bet it still to book now though. Good luck, and keep us updated on how it goes!

B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back