CA Zephyr - Get food "to go" from dining car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliforniaMom

Service Attendant
We will have a bedroom on the CA Zephyr. Since meals are included, can I get our lunch to go from the dining car, and bring to the observation car?

Yes - and no!

If you have dinner, and then want to take your desert with you to your room, that will pack it "to go". But I don't think they will pack a complete meal for you. Why not just ask your SCA for dinner to be delivered to your room (which will be packed "to go") and take that to the Lounge? :huh: (Remember to tip your SCA!)

The_Traveler is correct, SOP for meals "ToGo", (RR always called these meaks "Upstairs") are normally ONLY ordered n prepared for pax at the request of the pax's Train Attendent. Once in a GREAT while, i.e., diner is not busy, they will prepare for you, but very rare.

Yes - and no!

If you have dinner, and then want to take your desert with you to your room, that will pack it "to go". But I don't think they will pack a complete meal for you. Why not just ask your SCA for dinner to be delivered to your room (which will be packed "to go") and take that to the Lounge? :huh: (Remember to tip your SCA!)
Thanks, will do!

The_Traveler is correct, SOP for meals "ToGo", (RR always called these meaks "Upstairs") are normally ONLY ordered n prepared for pax at the request of the pax's Train Attendent. Once in a GREAT while, i.e., diner is not busy, they will prepare for you, but very rare.
Okay, makes sense - I don't want to make too much trouble!

Solution. Ask your sleeping car attendant for the meal in your room.

Take meal to SSL car.

I'm not sure why you would want to do that, however.
I guess I'm just concerned about not being able to get a seat in the observation lounge after lunch; figured we could just nosh on lunch while looking out. Maybe that's a silly idea?

No, it's not a silly idea, good forward planning! Eating in the dinning car is one of the fun aspects of Amtrak, so I guess most sleeper folk just like to make the most of that event on their trip.

Ed :cool:

The OBS's job is to serve you, the paying passenger!

Talk to your SCA and have them bring your lunch to the Lounge Car, they are located next to each other and this way y'all could snag a table on the "good" side and enjoy lunch while taking in the magnificent scenery! As was said, a tip is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Talk to your SCA and have them bring your lunch to the Lounge Car, they are located next to each other and this way y'all could snag a table on the "good" side and enjoy lunch while taking in the magnificent scenery! As was said, a tip is appreciated!
I've never before heard or thought of that option, but, if you are allowed to do it, it seems like a Great Option!!!! May try that on my next trip!

Yes - and no!

Do you have a suggested tipping rate for the SCA and dinning car folks?

Yes - and no!

I generally tip 15-20% of the meal cost, just like a restaurant. Others tip $2 for breakfast, $3 for lunch, and $4-5 for dinner. If the SCA brings your meal, you tip them like you'd tip the dining car staff.

For the SCA him/herself, I tip $10/night if it's just me and $20/night if it's me and my boyfriend. If I get absolutely phenomenal service from someone who obviously loves their job (or fakes it really well), I give them more. I also tip more if they're working on Thanksgiving or Christmas.

No, it's not a silly idea, good forward planning! Eating in the dinning car is one of the fun aspects of Amtrak, so I guess most sleeper folk just like to make the most of that event on their trip.

Ed :cool:
Thanks! I figured we'd be there for breakfast and dinner, so lunch in the observation car would be a change of scenery. Hah! No pun intended.

Thank you, I will ask the SCA when we board - if it's a hassle to bring to lounge car, then I'll just ask to bring to our sleeper. Yes, I'm a big believer of tips; I've been making lots of change this week to amass $1 bills!

I've never before heard or thought of that option, but, if you are allowed to do it, it seems like a Great Option!!!! May try that on my next trip!
Will let you know how it works out! Am guessing it depends greatly on the SCA. :)

Yes - and no!

Yes - and no!

I generally tip 15-20% of the meal cost, just like a restaurant. Others tip $2 for breakfast, $3 for lunch, and $4-5 for dinner. If the SCA brings your meal, you tip them like you'd tip the dining car staff.

For the SCA him/herself, I tip $10/night if it's just me and $20/night if it's me and my boyfriend. If I get absolutely phenomenal service from someone who obviously loves their job (or fakes it really well), I give them more. I also tip more if they're working on Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Do you know if the dining crew share their tips (i..e pool together) or is it individually received?

I tell them not to take wooden nickels. Oddly enough they don't seem to like it.
I would bet wooden nickels are worth a lot nowadays! :)

I've been told by Diner hands that some crews share and some don't, the person(s)that's usually forgotten is the chef locked in the Galley, usually all by them selves, but good crews do share with the kitchen staff!

We find thoe opportunity to meet new folks one of the true joys of Amtak dining .

As for tipping

SCA 10 per day per person

15% for the waiter meal total 20% for awesome service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back