CA Zephyr in November

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband and I have one cross country train trip under our belts and we are considering a second...possibly the CA Zephyr in early November. My concern is the limited day light at this time of year. Assuming minimal delays, are the best parts traveled in the day time? Thanks!

If you are taking #5 Westbound it will be daylight from Denver to Grand Junction and from Reno to Sacramento through the Sierras! #6 Eastbound has been running late more often but youd leave Emeryville in the Morning and see the Sierras in Daylight! The Desert in Nevada and Utah is at night/if #6 is late it will get Dark nefore Denver but the Descent doen the Front Range imto Denver all lighted is cool! The Praries East of Denver, thru Nebraska, Iowa and Illinois isnt that interesting except for crossing the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers! Go for it, great trip with the Snow and not crowded exvept for Thanksgiving!

I never took it eastbound in early November, but I did take it eastbound in early March. In early March is just before the time change, in early November is just after the time change. When I went, the descent into Denver was in light. (Departure from Denver was after dark.)

I took the Westbound California Zephyr just before Thanksgiving. There were no problems with daylight and scenery. If that's your primary concern then I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. My primary concern with the Zephyr route involves the mood of the staff as that particular route seems to have a major issue with unnecessary drama in my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took eastbound the weekend before Thanksgiving a couple of years ago. We arrived in Denver an hour or two late but had enough daylight to see a lot of the route through the mountains. It was dark before Utah but I don't recall where we were when the sun set. I only went as far as PRO, so can't speak about the rest of the route (hope to do the rest someday).

I had no problem with the staff. Everyone has different needs/expectations/perspectives

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoy a trip in November on the CZ in either direction. All of the best scenary in California and Colorado will be in daylight. Eastbound trips will also have nice scenary in Utah in daylight. Westbound, the best scenary (Ruby Canyon) will be close to sunset, which can be quite beautiful at that time of day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back