Cal Zephyr West End

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
Alright Ladies and Gentlemen, I need thoughts and opinions on a trip I'm planning for January. I'm currently living in Atlanta, and I'm planning to go to visit my family in Carson City, NV for about a week, and I'm going through my travel options. Right now I'm planning to fly out of ATL on a Thursday afternoon, and my initial thought was to fly to Reno and call it a day. However a thought ran through my head. It would take 32,500 Sky Miles to do the trip to Reno. Or I could fly to San Francisco for 25,000 Sky Miles, spend the night, take the bus across the bay to Emeryville, and take the Cal Zephyr to Reno. It would cost me two days in Carson City, but it would also afford me the option of doing the Cal Zephyr while saving me 7,500 Sky Miles. The hotel room in San Francisco would not be an issue since I work for a major hotel chain. So here's the root of the question, is the scenery from Emeryville to Reno worth it in the winter, or not? Does anyone have any experience with the bus to and from Emeryville from the Ferry Building? Thoughts, opinions?

Alright Ladies and Gentlemen, I need thoughts and opinions on a trip I'm planning for January. I'm currently living in Atlanta, and I'm planning to go to visit my family in Carson City, NV for about a week, and I'm going through my travel options. Right now I'm planning to fly out of ATL on a Thursday afternoon, and my initial thought was to fly to Reno and call it a day. However a thought ran through my head. It would take 32,500 Sky Miles to do the trip to Reno. Or I could fly to San Francisco for 25,000 Sky Miles, spend the night, take the bus across the bay to Emeryville, and take the Cal Zephyr to Reno. It would cost me two days in Carson City, but it would also afford me the option of doing the Cal Zephyr while saving me 7,500 Sky Miles. The hotel room in San Francisco would not be an issue since I work for a major hotel chain. So here's the root of the question, is the scenery from Emeryville to Reno worth it in the winter, or not? Does anyone have any experience with the bus to and from Emeryville from the Ferry Building? Thoughts, opinions?
Yes, it is worth the trip, especially as it's all during the day. You'll enjoy scenery out of Emeryville to Martinez along San Francisco and San Pablo bays, then across the Sacramento Delta into Sacramento. From Sacramento, you climb gradually along the original transcontinental route of the Central Pacific, and then descend along steep ridges and numerous tunnels to the Truckee River and Reno through the Donner Pass with its truly spectacular scenery.

If there's snow--and the probability is high in January through the Sierras--the scenery only gets better. And since the train originates in Emeryville, you shouldn't encounter much of a delay arriving in Reno in late afternoon.

The bus connection from San Francisco is very easy and comfortable. If your hotel is near the Ferry building, then book from there. You can also catch the bus at Market/Powell (800 block of Market) near numerous hotels, or several other spots, whatever is most convenient.

If you do go, read the book Empire Express: Building the First Transcontinental Railroad before the trip. It tells the story of how the railroad was laboriously built by Chinese workers across the Sierra and will make the journey seem even more amazing.

Happy Traveling!

I fully agree - go for it!
cool.gif

I was on the CZ in March last year during a snowstorm, and it made the crossing of Donner Pass so much better!
biggrin.gif
Also be aware that only the Ferry Building offers checked baggage service in SF. (All the other SF stops are bus stops on the street.)

I concur. The leg from Emeryville to Reno is pretty darn scenic. I'd suggest burning another day or more in San Francisco- it's no mystery why it's a tourist mecca!

The tough thing is that I'll be doing this portion of the trip on my own, and it's never the same touring a city on your own versus having a companion. I'm definitely leaning towards saving the miles at this point in time.

Sounds like a fun trip. The Sierras are beautiful during the winter. Lots of people pay big bucks to ride "The Snow Train" from SF to Reno each winter.

The Ferry Building Amtrak station is to the south of the Ferry Building (next to Sinbad's). Not hard to find. The bus stop is well marked. I know this because I didn't get lost last month when I boarded there last month!

Enjoy your trip. I'm jealous. Of course, I'm jealous of everyone that's on a train when I'm not.

(P.S. You are right. It's not the same touring a city on your own vs having a companion. Sometimes it's lots more FUN!!)

Another option would be to fly into Oakland, take a taxi to Emeryville (about 15 miles), and spend the night there. Then next morning you can board the CZ. That would make for a less stressful morning.

And it's been my experience that flights to Oakland are usually cheaper than flights to San Francisco, and there are fewer delays at the Oakland airport than at SFO.

The thruway bus also picks up at several major hotels in the downtown area and Fisherman's Wharf. You could check and you might even have curbside service!

Back in 2003 I was living in SF and decided I wanted to take a train ride and check out Amtrak. It looked like Reno was a reasonable destination and I had never been there. The only seat I could get in the entire month of December was on Xmas day and return the next day. It was absolutely beautiful going and coming back it had snowed again overnight and was still snowing much of the way. I was totally enchanted by the whole thing and sold on Amtrak forever I guess. I have no regrets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed that it's a very worthwhile trip. I've crossed Donner on the CZ twice in January, and the winter scenery was spectacular. Even more worthwhile than a summertime journey, I think.

I have plenty of experience using the bus connection from San Francisco to EMY been doing that for years. The Thruway bus to EMY makes five stops in San Francisco at the Ferry Building, Financial District Hyatt, Pier 39, SF Shopping Center and the Caltrain station. In the winter there will be snow in the high Sierra and the scenery from SAC through the foothills and the Sierra to Reno is wonderful.

This is a great trip. Note that in the winter the CZ could be delayed while going over the Sierras in the winter. If a delay would really upset your travel plans, I would be careful here. If a two or three hour delay is no big deal, then don't worry aboutit. Enjoy the scenery.

Another option would be to fly into Oakland, take a taxi to Emeryville (about 15 miles), and spend the night there. Then next morning you can board the CZ. That would make for a less stressful morning.

And it's been my experience that flights to Oakland are usually cheaper than flights to San Francisco, and there are fewer delays at the Oakland airport than at SFO.
Well since I'm booking using Sky Miles its a bit trickier. The 25,000 mile flights generally go to the larger airports and you have to bump up to a 32,500 flight to go to a smaller airport like Reno or Oakland. In addition my chain is major, but in very select locations, so I have to stick to the large large cities in general. Good thought though.

I have plenty of experience using the bus connection from San Francisco to EMY been doing that for years. The Thruway bus to EMY makes five stops in San Francisco at the Ferry Building, Financial District Hyatt, Pier 39, SF Shopping Center and the Caltrain station. In the winter there will be snow in the high Sierra and the scenery from SAC through the foothills and the Sierra to Reno is wonderful.
One minor correction. The connecting bus for the Zephyr does not make the Financial District stop at the Hyatt Regency.

I live on the NEC - with trains every 1 to 2 hours!
biggrin.gif
OK I grant you that!

But there's a reason your trains have the name "corridors" and ours have the name "surfliners" !!! :p
True, but even on the NEC, between Westerly, RI and Old Saybrook, CT, most times you within sight of the Atlantic Ocean/Long Island Sound! And at Niantic, CT, you are within feet of the water!
cool.gif
And at North Kingstown, you are on the shore of Narragansett Bay!
cool.gif

In fact, I consider the NEC between OSB and PVD as one of the most scenic routes on Amtrak!
biggrin.gif
It's not Rockies scenic, but between the water, trees (yes trees
smile.gif
) and lots of small towns, I find it scenic!
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back