California to Connecticut

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PetalumaLoco

Conductor
I never did do a trip report of our journey from California to Connecticut last August, but I did shoot lots of video!

Here's installment #1, Martinez to Denver, via the California Zephyr of course!

GREAT video! I can't wait for the next installments!
Thanks. I'm still on a learning curve with this new video editor software.

Any tips are welcome.

Working on the next one at this very moment!
Aloha

What are you using, and what platform? I like the edit process of Adobe Pro 2.0 on a PC, but the rendering, output process sucks to be polite. I am trying Sony Vegas on the next project.

Mahalo

Eric

GREAT video! I can't wait for the next installments!
Thanks. I'm still on a learning curve with this new video editor software.

Any tips are welcome.

Working on the next one at this very moment!
Aloha

What are you using, and what platform? I like the edit process of Adobe Pro 2.0 on a PC, but the rendering, output process sucks to be polite. I am trying Sony Vegas on the next project.

Mahalo

Eric
Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 12, on a Dell Vostro 1500 with XP. There are extra special effects doodads that won't run because of my video card, but so far I haven't missed them, I'm not big on special effects.

Very user friendly - has to be for me to use it. The only editing I do is chop up scenes, add transitions and some text. More than that I have no idea about.

Here's 2 more installments of the trip.

Via LSL, SWC and CS. There's a lot of shots of the GPS program I was using on my netbook, tracking the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for viewing. Now I'm tempted to put up a slide show. I only took about 1300 photos! :eek:

That's going to take some weeding out!

A great overview of cross country Amtrak! I've forwarded the links to some "non-train" friends to let them see what they are missing when they travel.

Thanks for viewing. Now I'm tempted to put up a slide show. I only took about 1300 photos! :eek: That's going to take some weeding out!
Aloha

If you are that avid a photographer you might consider a Smugmug account. Here is my Photo Gallery main page. You will also find additional gallery links there, in my friends and family listing. For how little they charge compared to how easy to use, I use only their service.

Great videos, thanks! Brings back a lot of great memories I have of my Southwest Chief trip. I've been on the CZ so often I was anticipating what was coming next. I have a big trip scheduled for March (TRE-TUS) & your video makes it hard to wait. Keep shooting and posting! GPS was nice too, sure you enjoyed it.

Thanks for viewing. Now I'm tempted to put up a slide show. I only took about 1300 photos! :eek: That's going to take some weeding out!
Aloha

If you are that avid a photographer you might consider a Smugmug account. Here is my Photo Gallery main page. You will also find additional gallery links there, in my friends and family listing. For how little they charge compared to how easy to use, I use only their service.
Thanks GG-1. I have a photobucket free account now that I may use.

Great videos, thanks! Brings back a lot of great memories I have of my Southwest Chief trip. I've been on the CZ so often I was anticipating what was coming next. I have a big trip scheduled for March (TRE-TUS) & your video makes it hard to wait. Keep shooting and posting! GPS was nice too, sure you enjoyed it.
Thanks rail_rider. I've enjoyed others' videos here too, really helps the new riders and those new to untraveled routes. Watching mine now about 5 months old and I'm getting anxious to do it again this summer.

Thanks for posting. In early February we will be on the LSL, SWC and TE.

I have a question: Did you use a video camera or a digital camera?

Thanks for posting. In early February we will be on the LSL, SWC and TE.
I have a question: Did you use a video camera or a digital camera?
I was thinking about this last night, I should have mentioned it, thanks for reminding me.

Shot with a Canon Powershot A480 @ 640x480. Link to Canon A480.

I love these little Powershot cameras, the take decent stills, and the video is acceptable if it's not blown up for a full screen. I had taken a Canon full size video DVD recording camera before, but I could pack a dozen of the Powershots in the space that the bigger cam takes. The Powershot takes 2 AA batteries, so I use NiCads, keep a set in the charger and the set in the camera lasts for a hour of shooting. With an 8GB memory card I can record over an hour of video easy. Sure the bigger dedicated video camera does a much better job, but the little one does what I need. Also the A480 is so small people aren't always aware you're shooting.

By the way, I took this camera down behind the Canadian Falls at Niagara Falls when we detrained at Buffalo, and forever after the camera lens would seize when it extends from the body when switched on. Dumb move, moisture got in it. Fiddling and prying got it to eventually free up, but it was never the same the rest of the trip. I replaced the camera with an Powershot A1100IS. I have a Nikon D40 for stills, with a small selection of lenses.

Thanks. I have a Fuji Finepix S700 with a 4GB memory card. I can download my videos and pics to my notebook so I should be fine. I also have a GPS receiver and map software so I will try to track where we are.

Thanks for posting these videos. I'm taking a cross country trip in the summer, and seeing this video makes me look forward to the trip even more.

Thanks. I have a Fuji Finepix S700 with a 4GB memory card. I can download my videos and pics to my notebook so I should be fine. I also have a GPS receiver and map software so I will try to track where we are.
Great, sounds like you'll have a good time! By the way I ditched my Dell laptop for train travel and picked up an Acer One netbook. Between switching to a small video camera and a netbook, my gear bag went from 24lbs to 16lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back