California to Denver OR Denver to Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nicole

I've been asked to pick the best route for our family trip coming up - we will take the train for one leg and fly the other but having never been to America let alone on said routes I have no idea which to choose! We're running short on time to decide! Which has the best scenery?

Thanks heaps! :)

You are in luck, as the route you are traveling is served by a train with one of the best scenery: The California Zephyr. I would recommend taking the westbound out of Chicago, as there is a guarantee that you will see the best scenery America has to offer. If you really could afford time and money, I would recommend that you take the California Zephyr out of Chicago, work your way from the San Francisco Bay Area down to LA, and take the Southwest Chief back to Chicago, or vice versa. That will get you some time in LA, Chicago, and the San Francisco Bay Area.

If your train ride choice is between Zephyr train Denver to Chicago, or Zephyr train Denver to California, the portion between Denver and Chicago, in either direction is mostly flat farmland, and not interesting to me.

The Zephyr line between Denver and California is about the best you will find for spectacular scenery, and is highly recommended.

Threading through high mountain passes, rivers, distant views down into valleys, all are seen between Denver and California.

Ed.

I think Granby to Glenwood Springs had the best scenery. Moffat Tunnel is just east of Fraser.

Truckee to Colfax has the Sierras.

Otherwise, crossing the Mississippi east of Burlington IA might be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Give the 2 choices, I would certainly take CA to Denver!

In my opinion, either way is good. The crossing of the Sierras is done in daylight in either direction. While the climb up the Front Range out of Denver (westbound) is done in the morning, I have yet not had the decent (eastbound) not in daylight. In either direction, the crossing of the Rockies is done in daylight.

Denver to Chicago is flat prairie land, and mostly done at night. To me, it's the most boring section of the most scenic route on Amtrak.

Awesome, thanks for the helpful feedback guys - will go with your recommendation! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back