California Zephyr discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When we took a CZ ride last year, a normal sleeper was used instead of a transdorm car. The person who I took to be the conductor seemed to be working out of a roomette on the lower floor?

It's very likely the (assistant?)conductor is using an unassigned room since they can look ahead to see what is/is not booked for occupancy.

Based upon observation aboard many trips in roomette #13 (personally requested at booking) the past 20+ years, it appears that the Amtrak computer assigns lower level rooms (11-14) last in a Superliner sleeper. So, odds are it is not booked at/between the cities you riding when you see a conductor doing paperwork there. But that doesn't prevent a last minute passenger booking it.

Last edited:
It's very likely the (assistant?)conductor is using It's using an unassigned room since they can look ahead to see what is/is not booked for occupancy.

Based upon observation aboard many trips in roomette #13 (personally requested at booking) the past 20+ years, it appears that the Amtrak computer assigns lower level rooms (11-13) last in a Superliner sleeper. So, odds are it is not booked at/between the cities you riding when you see a conductor doing paperwork there. But that doesn't prevent a last minute passenger booking it.
Of course they can sit at whatever is free. The point being made was that they do not get to remove any accommodation from bookable inventory, unlike the OBS crew, who are accommodated by removing from available inventory unless the train has a Transdorm or a Bag-Dorm.

In all cases the SCA gets accommodation using one roomette which becomes unavailable for booking.

Last edited:
Of course they can sit at whatever is free. The point being made was that they do not get to remove any accommodation from bookable inventory, unlike the OBS crew, who are accommodated by removing from available inventory unless the train has a Transdorm or a Bag-Dorm.

In all cases the SCA gets accommodation using one roomette which becomes unavailable for booking.
Because T&E crews are only on duty for a limited time (I think it is 10 hours max?) and change out regularly and therefore don't need sleeping accommodations, whereas OBS crews are generally on board for the entirety of the trip and therefor need a place to sleep.

Reactions: jis
Interesting that I paid $2969 for a room on CZ RIC-CHI about 6 weeks ago and the family room as of today is $2468. Is that usual? I would switch, but I don't want to be on the lower deck.
Gosh, there are some eye wateringly expensive Amtrak rides available these days!

I paid just $154 for my upcoming Zephyr ride from Sacramento to Chicago. :cool:

No dorm on today's #5 out of Chicago.
Appears they aren’t running a dorm as of the fall consist shift. The Chief is now running a regular and transition so that’s probably where the transition cars went. Lately they’ve been treating the transition as if it’s a regular sleeper in that it has its own attendant and they sell everything not occupied by crew including the accessible room on the lower level. Will probably be back later this year as they recently announced a whole bunch of transition sleepers coming out of storage this coming fiscal year (and a couple from the wreck line too.)

Last edited:
Bedroom Upgrade for $219 over Roomette :)

In June I booked a roomette on the California Zephyr (Emeryville to Chicago, connecting on to Boston) for September 11th. I got #14 downstairs, which sounds like the last room available ($1,428.70). I wanted to be upstairs, so I called in every few days, but no openings. Then I realized the best way was to check online to see if there were any openings (based on what was on offer on the web site). Nothing popped up, and the past week or so I've been checking online several times a day. I also put in a bid-up for $755.

On Friday a bedroom showed as available for just under $3,200. I kept my fingers crossed, but 36-hours-before, I got the email saying my bid was unsuccessful. :(

A little after 5:00 am today (at about the 28 hours from departure) I checked the site again, and there was a bedroom for $1,647.20! I called in -- and got Room B, Car 631 -- only $219 more. I'm kinda glad my bid was unsuccessful -- if Amtrak actually did the bidding at all.

Update: This morning, 6 hours before departure, a roomette was down to $844. Coach had increased -- now $390 (flexible fare, lower level).

Last edited:
I just finished my trip from Richmond CA (2nd stop after Emeryville that connects to BART) to Chicago. We arrived at the station and it was unattended like many stations, but only referenced CalTrain schedules, there was no mention of Amtrak other than the signs guiding you there. It would be nice for first timers if they had something posted that this is an unattended station, no bag service, wait for CA Zephyr here. The train was 40 minutes late which was no problem, but the text from Amtrak did not tell me the train was going to be late until 9:57a for 10:02 arrival. Scheduled time was 9:22a. I wish I would have got a text from Amtrak when the train didn’t leave on time, even if it didn’t have an ETA. I spent that time wondering if I’d missed the train and being grumpy towards Amtrak, but as soon as the train got there, I forgot all about it… to be continued.

I just finished my trip from Richmond CA (2nd stop after Emeryville that connects to BART) to Chicago. We arrived at the station and it was unattended like many stations, but only referenced CalTrain schedules, there was no mention of Amtrak other than the signs guiding you there. It would be nice for first timers if they had something posted that this is an unattended station, no bag service, wait for CA Zephyr here. The train was 40 minutes late which was no problem, but the text from Amtrak did not tell me the train was going to be late until 9:57a for 10:02 arrival. Scheduled time was 9:22a. I wish I would have got a text from Amtrak when the train didn’t leave on time, even if it didn’t have an ETA. I spent that time wondering if I’d missed the train and being grumpy towards Amtrak, but as soon as the train got there, I forgot all about it… to be continued.
I hope the rest of your trip goes well and the California Zephyr route is an outstanding route. These problems are typical of Amtrak. I ride it not because it consistently provides good service but because I like to ride trains. I do so with the knowledge that in any crisis, there is probably a 50-50 chance that Amtrak will have my back. I also carry plenty of snacks.

Conductors don’t use rooms
Not when there Is a dorm car and and sit down stairs where there is a table. So without dorm car where would they go. I've seen them use unoccupied rooms instead of setting in observation or dinning car. During night they sit in dinner most of the time so it's easier to find them if needed.

Not when there Is a dorm car and and sit down stairs where there is a table. So without dorm car where would they go. I've seen them use unoccupied rooms instead of setting in observation or dinning car. During night they sit in dinner most of the time so it's easier to find them if needed.
Let me rephrase it, then. No rooms are assigned to conductors. Therefore no revenue is lost on them needing one.

The point is that no rooms are removed from the inventory available to sell, to allocate to T&E crew. Rooms are removed from inventory if needed for the OBS crew.

Last edited:
Bedroom Upgrade for $219 over Roomette :)

In June I booked a roomette on the California Zephyr (Emeryville to Chicago, connecting on to Boston) for September 11th. I got #14 downstairs, which sounds like the last room available ($1,428.70). I wanted to be upstairs, so I called in every few days, but no openings. Then I realized the best way was to check online to see if there were any openings (based on what was on offer on the web site). Nothing popped up, and the past week or so I've been checking online several times a day. I also put in a bid-up for $755.

On Friday a bedroom showed as available for just under $3,200. I kept my fingers crossed, but 36-hours-before, I got the email saying my bid was unsuccessful. :(

A little after 5:00 am today (at about the 28 hours from departure) I checked the site again, and there was a bedroom for $1,647.20! I called in -- and got Room B, Car 631 -- only $219 more. I'm kinda glad my bid was unsuccessful -- if Amtrak actually did the bidding at all.

Update: This morning, 6 hours before departure, a roomette was down to $844. Coach had increased -- now $390 (flexible fare, lower level).
So after this all, you called again and booked the (/your former) roomette again and got a voucher/money for the difference.
With this action making a bedroom available which Amtrak wanted to sell in a low bucket and you calling in once again...? :cool:

So after this all, you called again and booked the (/your former) roomette again and got a voucher/money for the difference.
With this action making a bedroom available which Amtrak wanted to sell in a low bucket and you calling in once again...? :cool:
Hmmm. That would be the complex solution to the simple problem.

I just enjoyed the bedroom, which happened to be on the opposite side of the train from my two previous Zephyr trips.

Amtrak #6(14) arrived in Chicago today with a car from the Federal Railroad Administration's Office of Safety riding behind the engines. I caught it this morning after it had departed from Ottumwa, Iowa right on schedule.
Others may know right away the purpose of that car and how many FRA has and I could go search, but I am curious in this thread the possible purpose the car is serving for the CZ (as well as in general)? Also the consist order, usually on our site here random private cars are reported and shown on the trailing end of the consist.

Others may know right away the purpose of that car and how many FRA has and I could go search, but I am curious in this thread the possible purpose the car is serving for the CZ (as well as in general)? Also the consist order, usually on our site here random private cars are reported and shown on the trailing end of the consist.
The car is instrumented for measuring track parameters. This may have simply been a ferry move or an active monitoring one. Hard to tell. There is nothing unusual about additional cars being placed between the standard consist of the train and the locomotive.

Are the trap steps fixed down? Always though they are retracted when moving even when switching. A FRA violation by FRA? That even if no one riding in car?

Last edited:
Are the trap steps fixed down? Always though they are retracted when moving even when switching. A FRA violation?
Hard to tell what is being asked since no context is provided. But having fixed steps that are not retracted is not an FRA violation.

I am taking coach on the California Zephyr for a trip to Iowa tomorrow. I presume that I can take advantage of early boarding from the lounge given that I am arriving in the morning on the Capitol Limited in sleeper. But in Amtrak's world I know that different rules often to apply on different days with different employees. I am hoping this increases the odds of scoring a window seat. Obviously, too, I am hoping I will be offered the opportunity to purchase dinner in the diner. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back