California Zephyr discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Granted years ago, but I remember departing Chicago in 5 degree weather in February of 1971 on the "Super Chief" and those windows were clean as a whistle. Also, cleaned during Albuquerque stop as well. Seems a lot has gone down the toilet since then. Sometimes, it is the small things that make a trip.
Well, there is really no comparison between even late stage Santa Fe passenger service and the ongoing chaotic disaster that is today's Amtrak.

Granted years ago, but I remember departing Chicago in 5 degree weather in February of 1971 on the "Super Chief" and those windows were clean as a whistle. Also, cleaned during Albuquerque stop as well. Seems a lot has gone down the toilet since then. Sometimes, it is the small things that make a trip.

Well, there is really no comparison between even late stage Santa Fe passenger service and the ongoing chaotic disaster that is today's Amtrak.
AMEN to that! I have always tried to be supportive of Amtrak (it's the only passenger service we've got now in the US). One gets a little unhappy when recalling the days of the AT&SF Super Chief. My significant rail trips did not begin until 1966 and were limited to eastern seaboard trains. I moved to Orange County California in late 1970 and the first thing I wanted to do was ride The Super Chief. I did in I think November 1970 LAX-CHI. First trip in a Drawing Room Pullman and YES the windows were clean. This, of course, was just barely pre-Amtrak. It does, indeed, aggravate me every time I read the numerous posts of passengers cleaning their own windows.

Hello! Im finally taking the Zephyr from Chicago-Emeryville, both ways. We are going to to stay the night in Emeryville then hop back on home to Chicago the following morning. Would we be able to call and get our roomettes moved to the north/south sides of the train if they’re available? I would love to experience both sides during this trip.
I was told i would most likely be on the exact same train equipment when we turn around in EMY and most likely they will just turn the entire train around overnight. So if im in an even numbered sleeper going to EMY, Id also want an even numbered sleeper going back. Or if odd, stay in an odd sleeper going back? Is this correct?
Thanks so much and sorry for the noob question lol.
Book the transition sleeper (line number 540 or 640), also known as the crew dorm. Even-numbered rooms are always to the right, odd to the left. Roomettes only in this car. I prefer this car if available. Another plus: there’s a shower on the upper level. Another plus: the conductor often sets up shop below, and will always open the door promptly at every stop, regardless of whether sleeping car passengers are boarding or alighting there. Another plus: rarely will all rooms be occupied. You may well have a vacant room across the aisle, and can see scenery out both sides.

Unlike my trip west on #5 about 10 days ago, the windows on #6 that left Sacramento on the 9th are sparkling clean. I noticed that as it pulled into Reno. I also noticed that the lead engine was #203, Operation Lifesaver

I am on 6 and in the observation car someone had a Keurig machine to heat water for dehydrated food. He said he had called me and was told that it was OK
I've brought along a small Keurig clone on past non-Amtrak trips, but only used it in the hotel room. I believe I've heard that hot water is available (for tea, at least?) at the coffee station on the upper level of the sleeping car? (I might be mistaken there, though.) Or perhaps it's just additional bottled water, in which case one might have to inquire about bringing a heating coil or electric kettle for hot water.

I've brought along a small Keurig clone on past non-Amtrak trips, but only used it in the hotel room. I believe I've heard that hot water is available (for tea, at least?) at the coffee station on the upper level of the sleeping car? (I might be mistaken there, though.) Or perhaps it's just additional bottled water, in which case one might have to inquire about bringing a heating coil or electric kettle for hot water.
No hot water available in the cars, just morning coffee, at least in Superliner sleepers. Bottled water is available, some SCAs keep it out, some you have to ask them.

Hot water is available from the cafe (assuming there actually is one).

Hello everyone! Thank you so much for your helpful suggestions! I am finally taking the California Zephyr this weekend — so excited!! 🙂 I had one more question I was hoping to get feedback on — which side is generally better for views when going west?

On it now on the North side but the person on the South side was a no-show so I’ve bounced between: it’s gorgeous everywhere. We didn’t get a Sightseer though which is a big bummer.
I’m sorry to hear there’s no sightseer lounge.. that’s one of the main reasons for taking any of the long distance routes for me. I am glad you bounce around tho since the person on the other side didn’t show up 🙂

Hello everyone! Thank you so much for your helpful suggestions! I am finally taking the California Zephyr this weekend — so excited!! 🙂 I had one more question I was hoping to get feedback on — which side is generally better for views when going west?
South side (left on the westbound) seemed better overall to me. I was on it last week and was happy to be on the left side most of the time. It seemed like Glenwood Canyon specifically, and the climb over the Sierra Nevada were a bit better on the North side (right). Fortunately we had some empty seats, so I was hopping back and forth. What an amazing route this is.

Have a great trip!

Hello! Im finally taking the Zephyr from Chicago-Emeryville, both ways. We are going to to stay the night in Emeryville then hop back on home to Chicago the following morning. Would we be able to call and get our roomettes moved to the north/south sides of the train if they’re available? I would love to experience both sides during this trip.
I was told i would most likely be on the exact same train equipment when we turn around in EMY and most likely they will just turn the entire train around overnight. So if im in an even numbered sleeper going to EMY, Id also want an even numbered sleeper going back. Or if odd, stay in an odd sleeper going back? Is this correct?
Thanks so much and sorry for the noob question lol.
Wife and I took the Zephyr from Denver to Emeryville in Nov for our first Amtrak trip. I made the reservation by calling Amtrak because I wanted to specify the location of the roomettes. We got two across from each other so that we could see out both sides of the train in all cases. I would recommend two roomettes for two travelers, as we each enjoyed a lower bunk and the couples we met who were sharing a roomette weren't all that enamored of the limited space and the upper bunk. Why the quick turnaround? Take a day or two for visiting SF! Check my Zephyr review on trip advisor--we had a great experience!

California Zephyr Emeryville to Chicago - This is my 1st Amtrak Trip. I have a bedroom booked on 5/28 to Chicago and wanted to see if there is a way to confirm that it won’t get cancelled and how far out I can determine that proactively. My dates are a bit flexible but I need to book a flight to California soon as well.

Also if that train is cancelled and I don’t want to downgrade my room what are my options?

I’m totally new to this experience so any guidance is appreciated

Thanks everyone.

Welcome, Sgreenphoto! The CZ is an amazing trip, and I really hope it works out well for you. I've taken the full trip a number of times, and when I lived in San Francisco I had the luxury of taking a short overnight trip up to Reno and back the next day.

It's a shame that Amtrak is so confused these days that you can't count on getting a room, or when the train will leave (or arrive) or if there will be a Sightseer Lounge, which is IMHO an essential part of the experience. But we only hear about the times they have problems, so presumably most trips are still completely successful.

If for some reason a car is cut from the train, causing a downgrade, there is an order in which cars are cut, and there are people here that can tell you which car is the safest. I don't have it in front of me but hopefully someone will come along and post that info. It would help if you post your car number. If you are in the highest risk car, you can call customer service and try to change to a safer car.

I'm glad you were able to get a bedroom, they are very nice.

Anyway, post any questions you have here, and we'll try to answer them.

p.s. My avatar photo was taken off the web, but I am old enough that I took the original California Zephyr the last year it was run before Amtrak took over. If you want a Vista Dome now, you're going to have to take the Canadian some time, highly recommended!

There's an Amtrak Alert saying #6(12) is running a "make-up section" from Salt Lake City to Chicago. Not entirely sure what that means.
I'm assuming they mean that the 5 (or was it the 1005) that annulled at SLC turned as 6.

6(12) departed EMY late and only made it to Colfax before it had to be annulled due to a broken down (or derailed) UP plower.

We just got off the California Zephyr Sunday. We traveled the whole route Chicago to Emeryville. Our SCA was named Janelle and she was super. The food to us was very filling and good. The only bad thing was a storm came through and we had to sit and wait. Conductor said high winds up to 70 mph with hail and lightning. But overall the train travel was great, in fact it's a vacation in itself. Only one more long distance route to take and then we will have completed all long distance routes.
I've been in Janelle's car on the Zephyr several times. She is a treasure!

Isn't the cafe in the lower level of the SS? What were they doing for coach food?
During my ride on the Zephyr (EMY-RNO) a couple of weeks ago, there were two Diners and no Sightseer. The Diner to the rear had its kitchen turned into a makeshift Café. Not having the Sightseer was disappointing, but it was really cool to see the kitchen!

How did they do that? Did you actually go downstairs to get your food from the kitchen? That would be so cool!

I was in a Bedroom, so meals for Sleeper passengers were prepared and served in the forward Diner as usual.

The rear Diner had the makeshift Café downstairs in the kitchen with the usual menu, and the upper level was open to all passengers (including Coach) as a makeshift Sightseer.

Better than nothing -- and yes, very cool to see the kitchen. I had always wondered what it was like down there. 😃🚂🍔🍸

Attachments

• kitchen1.png
    kitchen1.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 2
  • kitchen2.png
    kitchen2.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 2
  • kitchen3.png
    kitchen3.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Status