California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone :hi:

First time poster on here - great forum, ben reading for a few days!

OK, here goes.

I am off to San Fan for 4 nights with a friend in September and then taking the Zephyr to Chicago and staying for 4 nights before flying back to London.

I have been watching YouTube clips of the Zephyr, studying the timetable and generally been amazed by the sheer distance and sights en route.

Are there any tips for first time travellers to avoid boredom, becoming fidgety and fed up apart from keep hydrated, eat well and ty to sleep well? Also, any tips for best places to get great camera pics.

One last thing, we are both smokers (I know, bad) and 2 days and nights without a nicotine fix sounds horrendous for us so are there scheduled 'smoke stops' en route every few hours or is it frowned upon totally? I have been told Denver is the main place but any more?

:help:

Many thanks

Marc (UK)

Hi Mark and welcome!

Yes, there are periodic smoke stops, although I'm not certain where they are on this particular route.

Your sleeping car attendant will probably stock bottled water in your sleeper, in the area with the coffee. The observation car is a great place to mingle and get a better view of the scenery, as is the diner and snack car.

From my experience, the train staff generally keep the passengers so busy (at least those in the sleepers) with the announcements and eating and great views, that boredom seldom sets in, barring any unforeseen adventures. :cool:

Thank you for the quick reply!

We are just going 'coach' as want to play cards and chill when we can plus with budgets its all we can do but I am sure it will be fine. My main worry is missing great photo opps in the middle of the night

Also can you charge cell pnes and camera batteries on board? Would you also advise taking snacks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!
hi.gif

Are you traveling coach or via a sleeper?
huh.gif
Taking a sleeper may seem expensive, but remember that the cost of the accommodations (room) is per room, not per person! So technically the cost for 2 people is 1/2 per person. (If the room cost $500, it will be $250 per person!) Also a sleeper includes all meals (in the Dining Car) for both passengers!

The route of the California Zephyr has been considered by many (including me) as the most scenic train trip on Amtrak!
cool.gif
During daylight hours, you may want to spend as much time in the Sightseer Lounge (SSL). This way, from the SSL, you can see easily out of both sides of the train. Ride in the SSL especially in Colorado (the second day of the trip)!

If you look at a route schedule and see 2 times listed (Ex: Ar 3:25 Dp 3:40) these are "smoke stops". However, if the train is late, the stop may be less than is shown. Also, stay near the train and listen for the "All Aboard!" call. The train will depart whether or not you're aboard it!

Enjoy your holiday!
smile.gif

We are just going 'coach' as want to play cards and chill when we can plus with budgets its all we can do but I am sure it will be fine. My main worry is missing great photo opps in the middle of the night. Also can you charge cell pnes and camera batteries on board? Would you also advise taking snacks?
Coach is fine, don't let the anti-coach crowd lobby you into paying twice the price or more for a sleeper. Yes, it's better but it's not always worth it, especially if you'll have to take fewer/shorter trips as a result. If you can survive trans-Atlantic flights in coach seats you'll probably be okay in Amtrak coach. Many of the sightseer lounges and coach cars have been given standard American power outlets for using with portable devices. It's advisable to bring a travel-sized surge protector if you can fit one. That way your devices are protected from flaky power and you can add your devices to any outlet even if someone else was using it first. I would strongly recommend bringing snacks of your own choosing as the ones sold by Amtrak are typically in the form of stale junk food.

Smoking is strictly prohibited on board, and doing so will likely get you kicked off the train. They are really serious about that.

There are a number of "fresh air" stops, as they tend to call them now. Most long stops/service stops are, and they are not limited to just those that have both arrive and depart times, although those are pretty much a sure thing. I know at least a few, if memory serves:

Ottumwa, IA

Omaha, NE

Denver, CO

Glenwood Springs, CO (sometimes)

Grand Junction, CO

Salt Lake City, UT

Reno, NV

Sacramento, CA

Listen for the announcements, if running ahead of time, some stops that ordinarily are not fresh-air stops become one since they have to wait for time. Don't get off to smoke at a stop unless they announce it. A lot of stops are really brief (like a minute or two). In any case, do not wander far from the train.

In terms of pictures, the first day is pretty good right from the start, rolling along the Bay, then the afternoon is spent crossing the Sierra over Donner Pass (you are on the route of the original transcontinental railroad). One the second day, you will wake up to the desert in eastern Utah, then go through a series of canyons through western Colorado, a highlight is Glenwood Canyon, just after Glenwood Springs. If you are going this time of year, the descent to Denver down the face of the Front Range will be in the dark. But even that is cool, as at night it feels like the world's slowest airliner descending into Denver.

The third day, not much, you are crossing the Great Plains. The crossing of the Mississippi right after Burlington, IA is a highlight, though.

Eastbound, I would say try to get seats on the left side of the train.

Smoking is strictly prohibited on board, and doing so will likely get you kicked off the train. They are really serious about that.

There are a number of "fresh air" stops, as they tend to call them now. Most long stops/service stops are, and they are not limited to just those that have both arrive and depart times, although those are pretty much a sure thing. I know at least a few, if memory serves:

Ottumwa, IA

Omaha, NE

Denver, CO

Grand Junction, CO

Salt Lake City, UT

Reno, NV

Sacramento, CA (maybe not anymore, since it is now a "detrain only" stop and can leave ahead of scheduled time.

Listen for the announcements, if running ahead of time, some stops that ordinarily are not fresh-air stops become one since they have to wait for time. Don't get off to smoke at a stop unless they announce it. A lot of stops are really brief (like a minute or two). In any case, do not wander far from the train.

In terms of pictures, basically the entire second day out from Chicago is prime scenic territory, as you will be climbing up the Front Range out of Denver, then spend pretty much the rest of the day winding through canyons in the Rockies. A highlight is Glenwood Canyon, which is the last 40 minutes or so before Glenwood Springs.

The third day, basically the whole stretch between Reno and Roseville you are in the Sierra Nevada. Not shabby either.

Don't look for too much the first day, except maybe crossing the Mississippi.

Westbound, I would say try to get seats on the right side of the train. That side has the best views of the Front Range climb and Glenwood Canyon in particular.
That's only for the #5 (w/b). He's going the other way on the #6. ;)

Also, locals do not like the term San Fran. It's San Francisco or "The City". Just sayin'

Ottumwa, IA

Omaha, NE

Denver, CO

Grand Junction, CO

Salt Lake City, UT

Reno, NV

Sacramento, CA (maybe not anymore, since it is now a "detrain only" stop and can leave ahead of scheduled time.

In terms of pictures, basically the entire second day out from Chicago is prime scenic territory, as you will be climbing up the Front Range out of Denver, then spend pretty much the rest of the day winding through canyons in the Rockies. A highlight is Glenwood Canyon, which is the last 40 minutes or so before Glenwood Springs.

The third day, basically the whole stretch between Reno and Roseville you are in the Sierra Nevada. Not shabby either.

Don't look for too much the first day, except maybe crossing the Mississippi.

Westbound, I would say try to get seats on the right side of the train. That side has the best views of the Front Range climb and Glenwood Canyon in particular.
That's only for the #5 (w/b). He's going the other way on the #6. ;)
Yeah, I realized that too late and edited it for EB :blush: .

Also, locals do not like the term San Fran. It's San Francisco or "The City". Just sayin'
I was almost going to point that out as well. Worse yet is saying 'frisco. I figured though that a Brit might just get the 'eye-roll' and not a lecture from a local with their panties in a bunch. :eek:hboy:

From my experience, the train staff generally keep the passengers so busy (at least those in the sleepers) with the announcements and eating and great views, that boredom seldom sets in, barring any unforeseen adventures. :cool:
I too am concerned about boredom on LD Amtrak trips. If there's no thing I'm waiting for or if they're not close together, I get bored really easily in any mode of travel. The NEC isn't bad because the commuter stations are so frequent, but I can't imagine out in the plains of the Midwest.

Maybe San Francisco needs to get over itself. Cities with more than a couple syllables tend to get shortened and yet the rest of them seem to survive unscathed without any pantie twists. If a city like Phuket can survive the unspeakable horror of careless tourists then so can San-Fran-Frisco. :cool:

I too am concerned about boredom on LD Amtrak trips. If there's no thing I'm waiting for or if they're not close together, I get bored really easily in any mode of travel. The NEC isn't bad because the commuter stations are so frequent, but I can't imagine out in the plains of the Midwest.
I thought I would be bored on my first 3 day trip (ORL to MSP). I brought 7 books and 5 DVDs with me. I was so fascinated by looking out the window (even at night), that I only read one of the books and had to force myself to watch one of the movies so I would not feel so stupid dragging all the stuff with me. Last summer, I spent 10 nights on a train (cross country and back). The only time I was bored was in SAC waiting 10 hours for the next train.

I agree with pennyk ... we used to take several books, several movies, several etc. and RARELY used them. Just looking out of the windows consumed our days ... and we loved it! So don't worry UKTraveler you'll do just fine!

Why not split it up into 2 or 3 legs? A day off the train is not a bad thing, I am not sure I would want to jump into the deep end of rail travel with 2 days in coach.

My husband, bless his heart, has the attention span of a gnat. Summer before last we took our first Amtrak trip from California to Virginia--3 days/3 nights. My granddaughter and I loved every minute and were never even close to being bored. However, no amount of scenery, books, games, or food was enough to keep my poor hubby from almost coming unglued by the time we got back. Just between you and me, I was ready to shove him into some Iowa cornfield on the return trip!

We are taking the same vacation in June, but this time my granddaughter and I will be Amtraking and hubby will fly. This marriage might endure, after all!

I think the issue of boredom is simply a personality thing.

No amount of scenery, books, games, or food was enough to keep my poor hubby from almost coming unglued by the time we got back. Just between you and me, I was ready to shove him into some Iowa cornfield on the return trip!
Now we know what happened in Montana et al! :eek:

We need to get the word out before the next unsuspecting spouse is dumped by side of the tracks! :help:

No amount of scenery, books, games, or food was enough to keep my poor hubby from almost coming unglued by the time we got back. Just between you and me, I was ready to shove him into some Iowa cornfield on the return trip!
Now we know what happened in Montana et al! :eek:

We need to get the word out before the next unsuspecting spouse is dumped by side of the tracks! :help:
I should have been more clear. I would have done it while the train was stopped. I don't want to hurt the guy. We've been hanging together for 45 years and I really like him. Actually, he'd be the first to admit that he can be a real PIA at times!

Thank you for the quick reply!

We are just going 'coach' as want to play cards and chill when we can plus with budgets its all we can do but I am sure it will be fine. My main worry is missing great photo opps in the middle of the night

Also can you charge cell pnes and camera batteries on board? Would you also advise taking snacks?
The first thing you'll want to do is establish a good rapport with your car attendendant. That person will be with you for the whole trip as Amtrak changes engineers and conductors about every 8 hours, but the attendant travels with your car all the way. That person is your ticket to a good time, or a mediocre time, as they're a wealth of information for the whole trip, and usually very helpful if you draw a good one.

In September it gets dark around 7 PM, and gets light again around 7 AM. Get out that Zephyr timetable. You'll be traveling through 3 time zones, and the stops are marked with local time, so you'll be able to tell when it's going to be dark, and when it'll be daylight. There aren't many photo-ops during the night, :D and virtually all of them are from the observation car in the daytime. Your best shots will be between Emeryville and Denver. The plains have some good photo-ops, depending on whether your fond of wheat or corn, but keep in mind that one shot of a cornfield in Kansas goes a long way. :blush:

I'd guess that you'll want to do most of your chillin' in the observation car. That's what it's there for. Get there early, as the seats and tables fill up early. You'll be able to charge electronics there, but the surge bar is a good idea. The electricity is pretty dependable, but there will be some competition for the available plugs. Plugs are also available in coach. REMEMBER, they're 110 V AC, with grounded plugs. :eek:hboy: We're hoping that Antrak has WIFI on the Zephyr by September when we're on it, going westward toward San Francisco. Oh --- we'll be traveling in a bedroom. :cool:

As for snacks. Definitely! You'll still be able to buy meals in the diner if the slepers haven't taken up all the space, but that can be pricey. The food in the observation car really isn't all THAT bad. It's just pre-packeged food, heated in a microwave. It's a lot better than you'll get in coach on the airline, :lol: and the food in the diner is good at worst, and really good at best. You'll also get to rub elbows with the sleeper passengers and find out why you should have chosen to travel first class. :cool:

They'll be able to fill you in. :lol:

As for smoking... my wife and I are smokers and we have no difficulty on the Zephyr. Just don't even think about it on the train. Those stops that show two times are virtual guarantees, and depending on how early the train is running there might be several more. Amtak never leaves a staton before the scheduled time. Be aware that some of those smoke stops are in the middle of the night. Set your cell phone to be a vibrate alarm clock. You'll want to take advantage of those stops. And be aware that Americans don't sleep in "normal" positions in coach. You'll be stepping over body parts in the middle of the night. It's kind of disgusting, but if you're after a cigarette it's worth it. :unsure:

Chicago... it should be a blast. Two museums you must see are Science & Industry, and Field. And the Brookfield zoo. Oh, and Giordano's Pizza which is about a block and a half from Union Station. If you like pizza, that's the place. They do it right.

The food in the observation car really isn't all THAT bad. It's just pre-packeged food, heated in a microwave.
A slight correction. It's not a microwave, Amtrak uses convection ovens to heat food up.
OK, but it sure fooled me. :blush: The last time I was in the snack lounge downstairs in the Zephyr observation car, the guy put my plastic wrapped National Hegbrew hot dog in that little black plastic cabinet with the door that opened with hinges on the left, then closed it, then turned the dial to start it; it sure looked like a microwave to me. When I heard it "ding" before he opened the door I was pretty well convinced. :lol:

I kind of figured that if it looked like a duck, and quacked like a duck, it WAS a duck. :unsure: :lol:

What's the source of energy for heating something in an Amtrak convection oven?

My understanding is that a microwave won't heat up plastic wrap or cardboard, but will only heat up things that contain water, hence the use of a microwave heating for pre-packaged food.

On the other hand, it's been my understanding that a convection oven uses heat radiating electric bars, or gas flame to create heat, and heat stuff at higher temperatures that affects everything within the energy range, including plastic wrap and cardboard liners.

Please school me on this. :huh:

The food in the observation car really isn't all THAT bad. It's just pre-packeged food, heated in a microwave.
A slight correction. It's not a microwave, Amtrak uses convection ovens to heat food up.
OK, but it sure fooled me. :blush: The last time I was in the snack lounge downstairs in the Zephyr observation car, the guy put my plastic wrapped National Hegbrew hot dog in that little black plastic cabinet with the door that opened with hinges on the left, then closed it, then turned the dial to start it; it sure looked like a microwave to me. When I heard it "ding" before he opened the door I was pretty well convinced. :lol:

I kind of figured that if it looked like a duck, and quacked like a duck, it WAS a duck. :unsure: :lol:

My understanding is that a microwave won't heat up plastic wrap or cardboard, but will heat up things that contain water, hence the use of a microwave heating for pre-packaged food.

On the other hand, it's been my understanding that a convection oven uses heat radiating electric bars, or gas flame to create heat, and heat stuff at higher temperatures that affects everything within the energy range, including plastic wrap and cardboard liners.

What you saw in the Sightseer was a microwave. The AmDogs are microwaved. Convection ovens are used in the dining car kitchens.

Convection ovens cook at the same temperature as conventional ovens. They use fans to circulate the heated air within the oven to more efficiently heat the food. This results in shortened cooking times.

My understanding is that a microwave won't heat up plastic wrap or cardboard, but will heat up things that contain water, hence the use of a microwave heating for pre-packaged food.

What you saw in the Sightseer was a microwave. The AmDogs are microwaved. Convection ovens are used in the dining car kitchens.

Convection ovens cook at the same temperature as conventional ovens. They use fans to circulate the heated air within the oven to more efficiently heat the food. This results in shortened cooking times.
I knew that. :lol: I just wanted to give Traveler a chance to dig himself out of the hole he dug. :cool:

The convection ovens in the diner do provide a more even way to cook, but DO take just a little longer than a microwave. Convection ovens are superior, in that they allow allow more time for the the flavors to "marry." Nobody really cares about a hotdog.

:lol:

I was just funnin' with Traveler, as he has both kinds of ovens in his penthouse car. I think the microwave sits just to the left of the hot-tub, and the convection oven is over in the kitchen, next to the fridge, right across from the center cutting table with its hot and cold running water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back