California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We used the car quite often IN SF, also. Driving there is part of the experience...especially vaulting the hills. As someone else mentioned, parking fees can be rather ludicrous...
Yes, it is a good one day once only experience.
Driving in San Francisco is especially fun with a standard transmission. Waiting at a light on a steep San Francisco uphill with a car right behind is the Super Bowl of brake, clutch, accelerator coordination. Of course, you could cheat and use the hand brake, but that's not sporting.

I wouldn't say a car is totally useless in SF. While there this past October, we traveled to Sacramento to visit the state railway museum which was great. We also drove down the coast on Route 1 to Monterey for a day trip which was beautiful and also north across the GG bridge into Muir woods to see the redwoods.
That was IN San Francisco. If you are going to Muir Woods or Monterey then you do need a car. Sacramento Railroad Museum? Maybe, maybe not. have no tried that one, but have made a couple trips to Sacramento by train.
We used the car quite often IN SF, also. Driving there is part of the experience...especially vaulting the hills. As someone else mentioned, parking fees can be rather ludicrous...
We chose NOT to rent a car, OVERNIGHT, because even at the Holiday Inn Express, it was something like $30 for parking, we were near Fisherman's Wharf. We only rented a car to get to Napa. Could have used Transit/Ferry, but would have added quite a lot of dwell (wait) time, and didn't want to chance missing the Wine Train.

But if it's JUST to get around SF, no way is a car needed.

didn't want to chance missing the Wine Train
(hic ... hic ... hic)

mosking.gif
mosking.gif
mosking.gif

In addition to checking out sights and scenery, I find there are times when it is great to grab a couple of beers and relax in the lounge or in your room. On my last Southwest Chief trip, I met several interesting/diverse folks to include a former ZZ Top roadie, a meteorologist who only travels by train while enjoying a beer (or two) in the lounge area after dinner. Boredom being a relative condition, there are times when I enjoy sitting back and listening to tunes. Although I have never been on the Zephyr, the route sounds extremely picturesque. As such, I can't imagine being too bored.

Well, its all booked, flights are booked and now just got to book the hotels. So glad we got the room now!

One problem - got to wait until September for the trip! :eek:hboy:

As a newcomer to LD Amtrak journeys can someone please point me in the right direction on the Amtrak website to show what meals and drinks are included in our sleeper package? Also, how do you book for meals? Does the attendant come around and take reservations from you? Obviously if still hungry after meals there will be some sort of area you can buy burgers etc won’t there? I am really looking forward to this trip but will also look forward to stretching my legs and having an unhealthy smoke at the stops where I can do so, probably Salt Lake City at 3.30am!

One problem - got to wait until September for the trip! :eek:hboy:
That's the hardest part!
mosking.gif

Did you say that you booked the train yet?
huh.gif
If not, do so ASAP!
ohmy.gif

On the Amtrak website, there is a link called "Meals & Dining". 3 meals a day IN THE DINING CAR ONLY are included in your sleeper fare. (Say you want a burger for lunch. In the Dining Car, it's included. In the cafe, you must pay for it!
sad.gif
) Breakfast is first come, first served - but the Dining car is open from 6:30 AM to 10 AM or so. Thus there is never a problem! Lunch is also usually first come, first served, but could be by reservations. Dinner is always by reservation. But sleepers get the first choice of times. They come to your room.

There is a cafe on the lower level of the Sightseer Lounge Car, but you have to pay for these. In the Dining car, you can order ANYTHING on the menu! For Breakfast, you are also allowed meat (bacon or sausage) if you want. For lunch and dinner. desert is also included. Alcoholic beverages are not included, but can be purchased.

Thank you!

Yes, all booked up now (this morning) Got to collect tickets in Emeryville on departure date!

As far as buying food between meals, I have never found it to be necessary, beyond some munchies with a beer.

Amtrak meals are more than ample and pretty good in general.

Lunch is also usually first come, first served, but could be by reservations. Dinner is always by reservation. But sleepers get the first choice of times. They come to your room.
Is the unreserved lunch unique to the Zephyr? On the LD trains I ride lunch has generally been by reservation.

I'd suggest the OP also keep in mind that if you are sleeping or have your door closed or are in the lounge car or using the facilities at whatever random time the dining car attendant comes by you might not be able to get a reservation and could be stuck waiting for a "last call" at the end of the next dining period that may or may not come. Also, if you get one of the later reservations don't be surprised if the diner is "out" of several menu items.

As far as buying food between meals, I have never found it to be necessary, beyond some munchies with a beer. Amtrak meals are more than ample and pretty good in general.
I have a hunch that much of the appreciation for Amtrak food comes from subconscious comparisons to airline food, and yeah it's not too bad in that specific comparison. But if you're comparing Amtrak food to any stationary restaurant I'd say it's testing the limits of what people would actually pay real money for. Think generic cafeteria food and you'll have a pretty good idea of what the quality is like. Amtrak's dining experience is my most likely source of disappointment on any given trip. It's true that having the toilets back up or having the train be seriously delayed is much worse, but that's been relatively rare in recent trips compared to the routinely disappointments I've had in the diner. I'm not sure exactly how to fix it, but Amtrak's latest attempt (the much maligned CCC) doesn't seem to address anything I've ever been disappointed with.

Last edited by a moderator:
:hi: Remember that if you are in a sleeper you can take your own alcohol on board and have wine/mixed drinks/beer etc. in the privacy of your room! Also whatever kind of snacks you like can be carried aboard, the prices in the cafe car are airline like (read overpriced!)so Id suggest you do this, no point in paying $5+ for a beer or $6 for an airline small bottle of liquor! You can get ice from your SCA, but the train staff cant keep food or drink for you, its against the law! A great trip, please continue to ask questions about your trip, we have lots of knowledge on here, lots of opinions and views, some are even true! :lol:

Lunch is also usually first come, first served, but could be by reservations. Dinner is always by reservation. But sleepers get the first choice of times. They come to your room.
Is the unreserved lunch unique to the Zephyr? On the LD trains I ride lunch has generally been by reservation.
On very few trains that I have been on is lunch by reservation. It is usually the least patronized meal!

As far as buying food between meals, I have never found it to be necessary, beyond some munchies with a beer. Amtrak meals are more than ample and pretty good in general.
I have a hunch that much of the appreciation for Amtrak food comes from subconscious comparisons to airline food, and yeah it's not too bad in that specific comparison. But if you're comparing Amtrak food to any stationary restaurant I'd say it's testing the limits of what people would actually pay real money for. Think generic cafeteria food and you'll have a pretty good idea of what the quality is like. Amtrak's dining experience is my most likely source of disappointment on any given trip.
While I admit it's not up to 5 star status, I have not been disappointed in the meals. And you do get plenty. I have had to "force" myself to go to eat the included lunch at noon - after eating a large breakfast at 7 AM. Or found it hard to chose a 5:30 PM meal time after just eating lunch at 2 PM. I seldom eat 3 meals a day at home, and feel guilty about "missing the included meal"! I'm much more likely to chose a dinner time like 6:30 or 7 PM.

I like the food on Amtrak! I like it so much that if I didn't get off at "smoke stops" to get some excersize, I'd be big as a blimp at the end of a LD trip!

On my Coast Starlight trips last summer and last month, and also on my CZ trip summer before last lunch reservations were taken. However, each of these trains were pretty much sold-out, so maybe that's why reservations were used.

I gotta agree with Dax, the meals on Amtrak CAN be good, but are usually IMHO, just "average" at best. While you might get a nice cut of steak, on the same plate the potato might be hard as a rock, and you can almost always count on the veggies being cooked to death.

While one usually does get offered a wide variety, including vegetarian, the gourmand among us usually don't write home about the meals on Amtrak.

Now, having said that, one will find that there are indeed many, many "fans" of the meals that Amtrak puts out in their full service dining cars. Why the wide range of opinion? Well obviously different people have different tastes and standards, etc., etc.

However, I think in general you will find that younger travelers (I'm guessing here, maybe under 35) will be much more appreciative of the meals served in the Amtrak dining cars, because they have only experienced "airplane food" or Amcafe offerings before while traveling via rail.

Old farts like me (52) are less than satisfied, partly because we know what COULD be served, and what WAS served on the trains, both in the early years of Amtrak, and of course without question, the "glory days of railroad dining".

As a dining car employee in the late 70's and early 80's, I saw the Amtrak chefs push out some pretty amazing meals, with pride. When Congress pushed this "modified meal service" crap onto Amtrak, and they cut back both the staff, and meal options, it was downhill from there.

They are a lot of Amtrak chefs who do amazing things today, given what they have to work with, but you can only do so much, with what you have.

As many here will note, I have often stated that one can still have a "great dining experience" even if the food is not four-star. The friends, atmosphere, and the SERVICE ("It's The Service Stoopid!") can all make an average-tasting meal be overlooked. (a bottle of wine doesn't hurt either!)

So my summary is this: Don't expect cruise-style or five-star meals, you won't get it. But you may be very pleasantly surprised from time-to-time. If you keep your expectations in check, and don't let some minor transgression bug you. (like serving very good tasting sorbet after dinner, but serving it in the original little cardboard cup it comes in, delivered to you in a plastic bowl........Grrrrrrrrrr) then you will be fine.

While I admit it's not up to 5 star status, I have not been disappointed in the meals. And you do get plenty. I have had to "force" myself to go to eat the included lunch at noon - after eating a large breakfast at 7 AM. Or found it hard to chose a 5:30 PM meal time after just eating lunch at 2 PM. I seldom eat 3 meals a day at home, and feel guilty about "missing the included meal"! I'm much more likely to chose a dinner time like 6:30 or 7 PM.
I'm by no means immune to overeating, but the less enamored you are with the dining experience the easier it is to avoid overconsumption. It would be great if Amtrak would raise the bar on the quality, nutrition, and freshness of their food but that's not the only way they can impress me. I honestly think a lot of the eating that takes place on-board is a result of the limited options available to folks who simply get bored. If Amtrak provided more things to do on-board then maybe people wouldn't need distract themselves through constant eating. For instance, as Amtrak is strictly a North America network they could follow airlines like Jet Blue with personal satellite television screens. They could also include interactive on-screen games you could play against other passengers on the same train. Professionally researched and smoothly delivered trails and rails content could be loaded into the same system and tied to a live GPS map that covers any interesting history about where you are and what's coming up next. As for the dining experience itself, why not give socially inclined passengers a classy bar to sit/stand at instead of generic fast food style plastic tables? Not everyone is interested in splurging on calories; some folks just want to use their dining experience as a chance to meet other folks. Having a bar might allow folks to show up for a chat over a drink or two without having to order a full meal when they're not hungry. I'm sure there are reasons why none of this is currently in place, but these are some of the things I'd change if it were up to me.

As they install Wi-Fi on more and more trains, I'd love to see a GPS display on one of the screens, or both, in the SSL cars, top and bottom. Travelers would virtually always know "where" they were, how fast the train was traveling, what stations, cities, geographic areas they were around, or coming too.

Little cost, big bang.

Like good service.

Little cost, big bang.

Thank you all for your helpful and informative replies. As a UK traveller with ZERO experiece of Amtrak it is great getting allof this input even though my trip is still 8 months away. I like to plan well ahead and with flights and Amtrak booked I just need to do the hotels now :rolleyes:

I love geography and the sheer size of the US so I am still amazed by the sheer length of the trip as here, and I live just outside of London, the longest journey we have is probably the south west of the UK to the tip of Scotland which is around 600 miles and our rail prices here are a rip off as well :wacko:

I am very much looking forward to being in SF and Chicago but also passing through the various states aboard this wonderful train!

Keep the tips coming.

Thank you

"""However, I think in general you will find that younger travelers (I'm guessing here, maybe under 35) will be much more appreciative of the meals served in the Amtrak dining cars, because they have only experienced "airplane food" or Amcafe offerings before while traveling via rail.""

the Only meal I have ever had on a plane that came close to the lunch burger In the dining car was On a 777 from dulles WDC to holland in 98 . and that was a happy meal to a pre teen .

amtrak dining is not buca de beppo or applebees . but its MUCH better then Micky D's and that to like you said might be why its ok to me . 24YO here.

I look at it this way . I don't Feel to badly ripped for the price of the food .

I rather eat Nuked amcafe burgers over any airline food anyday !! .

Mind the last time I few commercial . I had a 20 Pc mc-nugget and a Pizza hut personal pan and a HUGE drink . all for a 4 H flight ..

Peter

Since you opted for a roomette, my comment won't be that useful to you. But I wanted to mention that there is no comparison between coach seats on long distanced Amtrak trains and standard (2nd class) seats on British trains.

At least this was my observation on a British Rail (that will date the trip, ca. 1994) Intercity train between Scotland and London. The seats in the then new coaches seemed more like economy class airline seats; whereas Amtrak LD coach seats are similar in size and pitch, but not plushness, to airline first class.

Another point of reference. Quite a while ago I was chatting with a European in the sightseer lounge on the Zephyr who claimed Amtrak was much better than European railroads. Obviously, he wasn't talking about the system as a whole, on-time performance, etc. But the train itself. Whereas European trains are more utilitarian, getting you from A to B, trains like the California Zephyr are often referred to, sometimes disparagingly, as land cruises.

I honestly think a lot of the eating that takes place on-board is a result of the limited options available to folks who simply get bored. If Amtrak provided more things to do on-board then maybe people wouldn't need distract themselves through constant eating. For instance, as Amtrak is strictly a North America network they could follow airlines like Jet Blue with personal satellite television screens. They could also include interactive on-screen games you could play against other passengers on the same train.
When you're at 30,000 feet, I do understand TVs. But at 15 feet, why not look out the window?
huh.gif

As for the dining experience itself, why not give socially inclined passengers a classy bar to sit/stand at instead of generic fast food style plastic tables? Not everyone is interested in splurging on calories; some folks just want to use their dining experience as a chance to meet other folks. Having a bar might allow folks to show up for a chat over a drink or two without having to order a full meal when they're not hungry.
And the purpose of the Sightseer LOUNGE or PACIFIC PARLOUR CAR is what again?
huh.gif
I myself go there to chat with other passengers and/or play games with other passengers and/or have a drink or two without ordering a full meal!
rolleyes.gif
Who knows - I may even buy something from the cafe or (on the PPC) from the bar!
rolleyes.gif

As a newcomer to LD Amtrak journeys can someone please point me in the right direction on the Amtrak website to show what meals and drinks are included in our sleeper package? Also, how do you book for meals? Does the attendant come around and take reservations from you? Obviously if still hungry after meals there will be some sort of area you can buy burgers etc won’t there? I am really looking forward to this trip but will also look forward to stretching my legs and having an unhealthy smoke at the stops where I can do so, probably Salt Lake City at 3.30am!

Welcome to the board!

You can find the info here and here. You can also go to the sightseer car for burgers or snacks. Your Sleeper Car Attendant will come around & make reservations for the meals. Enjoy your trip!

One language issue (especially important for smokers from the U.K. in San Francisco to remember) is that the word **** does not refer to a cigarette. It is instead a somewhat derogatory term for people of a certain sexual persuasion of which the British vocabulary also has a number of colorful (or should I say colourful?) slang terms.

One language issue (especially important for smokers from the U.K. in San Francisco to remember) is that the word **** does not refer to a cigarette. It is instead a somewhat derogatory term for people of a certain sexual persuasion of which the British vocabulary also has a number of colorful (or should I say colourful?) slang terms.
Don't right now remember whether this phrase is just Australian or all the UK world, but if you want a wake up call, DO NOT ask someone to "knock me up" at such and such a time. Particularly embarrasing if you are young and female. :eek:

When you're at 30,000 feet, I do understand TVs. But at 15 feet, why not look out the window?
huh.gif
I enjoy looking out the window just as you do. But there are folks who get bored with it, amazing as that may sound. Some Amtrak trips can feel very long for today's riders and their ever shrinking attention span. Also, if you're like me and ride the exact same trains over and over again it can get a little old over time. I'm not saying everyone would be enthusiastic over such a system, but many folks seem to enjoy them enough on on planes to select one carrier over another. That being the case I think Amtrak could do a lot to improve their image by putting more effort into adapting to more modern sensibilities.

And the purpose of the Sightseer LOUNGE or PACIFIC PARLOUR CAR is what again?
There's no need to SHOUT about it trav. :blink:

The Pacific Parlor Car is more like what I'm talking about, but...

1. It's only on one route in the entire network.

2. It's only for meeting other sleeper passengers.

3. It's currently slated to be decommissioned.

The current lounge cars aren't terrible, but there's nothing classy about them in my view. In fact some of them are in some serious need of a little TLC, at least on the routes I tend to ride. In general their stale fatty food and plastic furniture bring to mind a McDonald's on wheels. Maybe Micky-D's is a great place to meet new people but I'd never know because I can't stand spending my time in there. If it's too much to ask for fancy lounges then how about a mid-level Starbucks-style environment? Seems like there has to be middle ground in here somewhere.

Sorry to 'bump' this but I just had a thought ...

Our confirmations for thr trip are on email with a barcode and reference number that we have to scan at the station to get our actual tickets. Given thet the coach leaves SF and arrives at Emeryville 30 mins before departure will this give us enough time with baggage check in as well? Barring this is there anywhere in SF we can get our tickets?

Cheers

M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back