California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

river

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I've read that the CZ goes through 29 tunnels on its route. One is even 6 miles long. I am wondering if there could ever be a problem with an avalanche occluding a tunnel entrance or exit. I know there's not a lot of snow out there in the mountains right now, but winter isn't over by any means. A morbid question, I know, but it crossed my mind and now I'm wondering...since I will be on this train in a few weeks, please reassure me! ;)

The only place where the CZ has ever been impeded by snow is Donner Pass, in the area not covered by snowsheds. I've never ever heard of this problem happening.

Last March during a historic storm over Donner Pass a MASSIVE Union Pacific Spreader (plow) was passing through a tunnel when it hit an avalanche at the exit and became stuck, forcing the crew to bail from the side windows and crews in Roseville to fire up and roll the big Rotary Plows. I just purchased a GREAT Blu Ray, Rotaries-Avalanche on the Mountain that documents this.

But I wouldn't worry much about this happening to you because if weather becomes that dangerous, trains would be held from the pass until the threat was cleared.

Avalanches: the danger of an avalanche is not limited to tunnel entrances...it could happen as the train winds its way alongside a mountain etc.

Now the good news: Railroads have safety measures in place to guard against the danger of rock falls. One thing they do is have wires that would be broken and send off a sensor that turns the block signals red. They also patrol the track and try to keep up with dangerous conditions, etc.

I would just not worry about it and enjoy the trip. I have ridden this line and it is very scenic and well worth doing.

I always get panicky when going through the Raton Pass, and it isn't even that long. I don't know how I'm going to handle 29 tunnels on the CZ trip we want to take next year. Now I have a new fear. Thanks. ;)

/claustrophobic

Enjoy Moffat :)

It's only the 3rd longest in NA

I know the longest is the Cascade through Stevens Pass on the EB, and I believe the 2nd longest is also on the EB, right around Libby, MT

Luckily for you Libby is while ur sleeping. If you didn;t know, Moffat is more than 6 miles... But this is no reason to not take the CZ. I love it with a passion

Sorcha, I am not an expert on this matter, on the Zephyr, all tunnels are easy to manage. Yes there is one 6 mile tunnel, the conductor will make an announcement prior to going through to warn everyone not to move from car to car to keep diesel fumes out of the train. Just put your head down and think great thoughts about the beach on Kauai or another favorite place, time or just hold your hubby and it will be over. So much work is done on that route and very safe.

I have been on the trip 5 times and each time, the trip is more exciting and memorable. If you let this get to you now, you will have no fun next year when you go.

Please, do not let this start on you now.....you will be just fine, Sorcha, would I lie to you??!!

No Way....Tim

Sorcha, I am not an expert on this matter, on the Zephyr, all tunnels are easy to manage. Yes there is one 6 mile tunnel, the conductor will make an announcement prior to going through to warn everyone not to move from car to car to keep diesel fumes out of the train. Just put your head down and think great thoughts about the beach on Kauai or another favorite place, time or just hold your hubby and it will be over. So much work is done on that route and very safe.

I have been on the trip 5 times and each time, the trip is more exciting and memorable. If you let this get to you now, you will have no fun next year when you go.

Please, do not let this start on you now.....you will be just fine, Sorcha, would I lie to you??!!

No Way....Tim
Tim's entirely right. I promise that other than the one long one, there is not one tunnel that takes more than 10 seconds. There used to be even more, but many were so short that Rio Grande eventually daylighted them. It's really nbd.

Enjoy Moffat :)

It's only the 3rd longest in NA

I know the longest is the Cascade through Stevens Pass on the EB, and I believe the 2nd longest is also on the EB, right around Libby, MT

Luckily for you Libby is while ur sleeping. If you didn;t know, Moffat is more than 6 miles... But this is no reason to not take the CZ. I love it with a passion
If we are talking about longest rail tunnels in North America, the longest is Mt. McDonald in Canada. The second is Cascade in Washington State and Flathead in Montana, and the third is Moffatt in Colorado.

I got a nice shot of the inside of Moffett last time we went through...

img-1977.jpg

That's why I called it a phobia, an irrational fear. :) I know the mountain isn't going to crash down around us, but that little part of my brain doesn't. I usually just count the seconds and breathe evenly until it's over.

I love mountains, so there's no way I'm skipping this trip. I've driven through the mountains of PA before, long stretches with many long tunnels, but that didn't affect me quite as much (perhaps because those tunnels are so roomy, whereas the train tunnels feel like they're a mere two inches larger than the train).
happy.gif

That's why I called it a phobia, an irrational fear. :) I know the mountain isn't going to crash down around us, but that little part of my brain doesn't. I usually just count the seconds and breathe evenly until it's over.

I love mountains, so there's no way I'm skipping this trip. I've driven through the mountains of PA before, long stretches with many long tunnels, but that didn't affect me quite as much (perhaps because those tunnels are so roomy, whereas the train tunnels feel like they're a mere two inches larger than the train).
happy.gif
Really no differant from traveling during the night. If I remember they turned the lights on when you hit the long tunnel. Only last a few minutes and your back into the sunshine so sit back and enjoy. Back in the smoking allowed days they shut down the ventilation system and ask that you not smoke while it was off, that also stopped outside air ( diesel fumes ) entering the car. One trip the attendent forgot to turn it off and the coach stunk for quite a while till the air cleared out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back