California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskan mutt

Train Attendant
My last train ride before flying home was interesting to say the least. We were about 1 hour late departing. We did not even get out of the trench at RNO before stopping. We had to wait an hour for a clear track thru the freight yards. When I went to bed, we were due to stop in Salt Lake City around 5 am. When I woke up at 9 am we had not yet gotten to SLC. Thru the night we were held up by several freight trains. Then at one point the tracks were under water due to a flash flood. We were so far behind, the crew ran out of time and we sat on the the tracks an hour out of SLC and had to wait for a relief crew to be driven out to the train. We were almost 7 hours behind schedule by the time we got to SLC. On the plus side we got to see the mountains heading east out of Provo. After that we had few delays the rest of the way to DEN.

I had a roomette in a refurbished car. No real complaints about the car. I guess the car attendant did ok. Never saw much of him, but if someone pulled the attendant call button he did respond. My only complaint was he did not open the doors of the car unless there were passengers getting on or off. At stops where we were allowed to get off for a few minutes, we had to go to another car to get off.

While I enjoyed this trip, I got real tired of all the p.a. announcements griping about how it was the freight trains faults for all of the delays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back