Can Checking Bags Be A Solution?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njulian

Service Attendant
A bit convoluted: we are taking a cruise next year out of San Pedro, CA with a stay at Disneyland before. Coming in on the Southwest Chief to Fullerton, which we do often. Getting to port is no problem. When we come back into port we will disembark early, around 9:00 AM. Train doesn't leave Fullerton until 7 something PM..a bit earlier from LA. The issue is what to do all day. Naturally the biggest obstacle to any plan is the all the luggage. We normally don't check luggage, but if we made it to the Fullerton train station that morning, all we allowed to check our luggage immediately, then take a cab to Disneyland and return that night to board? Are you allowed to check luggage that early?

I can't imagine a better solution, as I don't want to hang around the LA station or the port with all my luggage all day. Suggestions?

Cecked baggage hours at Fullerton are from 6 AM to 10:45 PM every day!
cool.gif

Remember that BOTH your originating station and destination station must offer checked baggage service - otherwise you can not check your bags!
sad.gif
If that is the case, most stations (I can't say for certain FUL, but I think so) will day check your bags for you. The charge is usually $3 per bag - but sometimes they have been know to "count 2 or 3 bags as 1"!
smile.gif
(Some stations will also "forget" to charge you! It's happened to me!
cool.gif
) Also, most require exact change.

I would presume the station will check your bags any time after opening but if you want to be absolutely sure you can always give them a call or ask them on outbound trip. If for any reason they will not be able to store your bags for you keep in mind that many larger hotels will also hold your bags for a small fee. So long as you don't leave your bags more than a few hours and don't make it obvious that you have no intention of checking in you'll be fine.

When I rode the SWC out of Flagstaff a couple of months ago I checked in my bag the evening prior. I was careful the next morning to eyeball my bag on the cart waiting to be put in the baggage car. Be sure your bags are locked and have a good ID tag.

You can check your bags up to 24 hours in advance, so you should have no problem checking bags that early. Keep in mind you can also leave your carry-ons at the station as well. They will hold your carry on bags for $3 each, should you need to have a carry on during your journey.

Thank you very much..looks like this will work fine. Now to figure out best way from San Pedro port to Fullerton station. Appreciate the help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back