Can I bring a cardboard box that does not exceed restrictions as carry

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Salvatore

I'm traveling back home from college this week by Amtrack and can't get a straight answer on my situation.

I bought a pair of speakers while I was up here, and I have a better pair of speakers back home. The speakers I bought up here ended up being larger than expected, so I was planning on bringing them back home and exchanging them for my better speakers.

The only thing I have to bring them back in is the cardboard box they came packaged in. The dimensions and weight of the box do not exceed the carry-on restrictions, it is roughly 22.5"x11"x16.5" and it weighs around 30lbs.

I looked up if cardboard boxes are allowed and it said they are, but they count as checked baggage and the box needs handles. I am confused as to why it has to count as checked baggage, especially when I'm allowed two carry-on items and the box doesn't come close to exceeding the limit. I would rather just toss it in the overhead compartment so I can leave immediately when I get back to penn.

When I travel back to college next week I will hopefully be bringing my better speakers. I have a square leather box with padding on the inside that I can carry them in. This box also will not exceed the carry-on restrictions. Is it allowed?

By the way, I called their hotline already and the woman who answered kept telling me to "put my sneakers in a bag" :)

I specified that they were stereo speakers and she said they were allowed, but didn't ask about how they were packaged. She started sounding more and more snobbish as the call went on, so I said thank you and hung up.

As long as you can easily carry it by yourself without help, it will be allowed as carry-on baggage. They do not measure or weigh carry on luggage except if it is very oversized (like 6 feet long) or it seems very much overweight (like the bag weight 300 pounds and takes 2 or 3 people to carry it). And (despite what is said), I have not seen the "2 bag limit" strictly enforced. If you have 3 carry on bags, I wouldn't worry.

Also, you didn't say where your traveling to and from. Most trains east of Chicago and New Orleans are single level trains with the luggage rack easily reachable on the same level as you enter. Most trains west are Superliners, which have most seats on the upper level, reached by a narrow stairway with 2 90° turns. There is a storage area on the lower level, but it is accessible by all passengers. I am trusting and leave my luggage there, but personally I would not leave anything valuable there.

As long as you can easily carry it by yourself without help, it will be allowed as carry-on baggage.
Some dude on Yahoo Answers told me to find a large duffle bag to throw the entire box in so the whole "requires handles" thing doesn't bite me.

I can carry the box easily but I do need two hands. My second carry on item is a hiking backpack, so it will work out.

Also, you didn't say where your traveling to and from.
I'm traveling from Buffalo back to NYC. I'm familiar with the overhead luggage compartments found on the LIRR, this box would easily fit in one of those.

Down South we call that "Redneck Samsonite".
What? Putting a cardboard box in a bag?

Can you reccomend any bags to do it with? I actually just took a trip to the store and couldn't find anything large enough.

Down South we call that "Redneck Samsonite".
What? Putting a cardboard box in a bag?
Can you reccomend any bags to do it with? I actually just took a trip to the store and couldn't find anything large enough.
I think he meant using a cardboard box as luggage. We know that's not what you're doing. Might check around for handles that are used with twine or rope. The handle would be a strong wire bent on each end in a way to loop around the twine or rope (which is securely tied around the box). There's a sturdy cardboard tube around the wire creating the handle. There may be other types of handles that can be hooked to the twine/rope.

You can probably create handles with just using rope (and maybe some tape).

I have used cardboard boxes many times, both as carry-on and as checked. Sometimes, a box of Christmas presents, or a box with a car seat. Never a problem.

I've done that with Christmas presents. I just tie a piece of cord around it the same way you wrap a present so that I can use that as sort of a handle on top. Like this, minus the bow (and with stronger cord):

Christmas-Present-21.jpg

The dimensions and weight of the box do not exceed the carry-on restrictions, it is roughly 22.5"x11"x16.5" and it weighs around 30lbs.

I looked up if cardboard boxes are allowed and it said they are, but they count as checked baggage and the box needs handles. I am confused as to why it has to count as checked baggage, especially when I'm allowed two carry-on items and the box doesn't come close to exceeding the limit. I would rather just toss it in the overhead compartment so I can leave immediately when I get back to penn.
I'm also confused as well. You don't come right out and say it, but it sounds like you want to know if you can carry on a box that does not exceed the carry-on size and weight restrictions. If this is the case, then the answer is obviously yes, as others have said. I don't know what you looked up, but In my many, many trips, I've never heard of a carry-on item being counted as checked baggage.

As far as handles are concerned, if you can rig up something that makes the box easier to handle, along with any other stuff you you might want to bring along, go for it. Otherwise, forget 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back