can I check bags the day before trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

penfrydd

Service Attendant
My wife and I are departing on the Cardinal from NYP next week. We'll be going to the station the day before just to confirm things and were wondering if we could check our bags at that time. Amtrak asks that, for checked bags, that you arrive two hours prior to departure. That would be 4:45 a.m. Possible, but less than pleasant...

We will be in a sleeper. The trip is less than a week away and we are psyched! Our only real concern at this point, is the lateness of the CZ, which seems to be improving as of this week.

I don't have the official answer, but I would think 911 type concerns would say no.

Bruce-SSR

We have checked a bag the afternoon before a morning departure. It was no problem at all.

You can generally check bags in advance. It can be particularly useful on the "return half" of a trip.

I was told at my local station (Houston) that Amtrak permits passengers to check their luggage up to 24 hours before the scheduled departure of their train. I have taken advantage of this at Austin, Houston, and Washington DC to avoid unpleasantly early wake-up calls; I think that you should be able to do likewise.

You are supposed to be able to check bags early....but at DAL it is really frowned upon by station staff.

You are supposed to be able to check bags early....but at DAL it is really frowned upon by station staff.
Perfect example of staff making up their own rules Tony! And how ironic that saxman used to work as a Volunteer @ Dallas Union Station!!!!
I did not say you could not do it. But there might be a considerable amount of flack. In fact, once, I got flack for wanting to check a suitcase in the morning of that afternoon's scheduled departure. They did it, but it was an adventure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back