Can I skip the first leg of the trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colobok

Service Attendant
I have printed tickets for 2 segment trip: first is coach, second - sleeper (bought for AGR points).

Can I skip the first segment and start my trip from the second? Won't they cancel my 2nd segment if I don't board on the 1st?

Changing the reservation doesn't make sense because it's the same amount of points.

With paper tickets, there's no way that they can do that, as long as you print the tickets before the first leg is scheduled to depart.

Once the trip is scheduled to start, if the tickets aren't printed they're liable to be canceled.

Unlike an airline (where the computer knows if you're on that first flight, and cancels your remaining reservations at that time), Amtrak is way behind the times with processing tickets. They have be sent physically to a centralized location to be processed! So depending on the train and which direction it's headed, it may take anywhere from like 3 days to 2 weeks before it's processed!
rolleyes.gif

Chances are, you will be on that 2nd segment by then!
laugh.gif

That may be one of the downsides of E-tickets that many want for trains!
blink.gif
Amtrak would know immediately if you don't use that 1st ticket.

However, as of now, as long as you don't do that like every week or month. Amtrak would not really care. I'm a little confused though. You said "first is coach, second - sleeper". These may not be your city pairs, but do you mean

1. MKE-CHI in coach and
  2. CHI-SAS in sleeper

Or do you mean

1. CHI-SAS in coach and
  2. SAS-CHI in sleeper

huh.gif
huh.gif
huh.gif

You are aware that AGR awards are all one way? So if it's the 1st example, why didn't you just make an AGR reservation for CHI-SAS? If it's the 2nd, just cancel the first segment, mail in your ticket and get your points back.

However, as of now, as long as you don't do that like every week or month. Amtrak would not really care. I'm a little confused though. You said "first is coach, second - sleeper". These may not be your city pairs, but do you mean

1. MKE-CHI in coach and
  2. CHI-SAS in sleeper

Or do you mean

1. CHI-SAS in coach and
  2. SAS-CHI in sleeper

huh.gif
huh.gif
huh.gif

You are aware that AGR awards are all one way? So if it's the 1st example, why didn't you just make an AGR reservation for CHI-SAS? If it's the 2nd, just cancel the first segment, mail in your ticket and get your points back.
This is for SAN-LAX (business class) and LAX-SEA (sleeper). So if I don't board SAN-LAX - I am still safe to board LAX-SEA, correct?

Yes!

But why not just call AGR and revise your reservation to just LAX to SEA?
huh.gif
(Just be sure you keep the same room - or even maybe get a better location!
cool.gif
) It's the same number of AGR points, and it would allow Amtrak to maybe resell that seat on the Surfliner - and earn some revenue!

Yes!

But why not just call AGR and revise your reservation to just LAX to SEA?
huh.gif
(Just be sure you keep the same room - or even maybe get a better location!
cool.gif
) It's the same number of AGR points, and it would allow Amtrak to maybe resell that seat on the Surfliner - and earn some revenue!
Because tickets already printed, so in order to change them I have to mail them back to AGR which I don't have time to do.

And I am pretty sure Surfliner has empty seats anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back