Can not book red-eye into DC?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HP_Lovecraft

Service Attendant
I was about to book an AGR trip from SAO (Maine) to DC, hoping for the NEC #67.

Spend the day, then take the reverse back on the NEC #66

I actually like sleeping on a train, and it costs less then a hotel room. (if this wasnt an AGR trip). Plus, I'll be taking my kids, and this schedule has the added benefit of not requiring them to take off any school.

The problem is I can not get a reservation to pull up from SAO to DC that has the #67 Train.

I can get the reverse with the #66 (Northbound) though.

The problem seems to be with the connection in Boston. Does that mean when I call AGR, they will tell me it is not possible, unless I use a seperate reward for SAO-BON, and BOS-DC?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's very hard to say for sure, especially with the all new staff who are still learning their jobs and Amtrak. In theory it should be allowed, as it's only a 4 hour window between the Downeaster and 67. In my experience on the NEC, Amtrak will often let you pick between two trains for your connection, which would be 179 or 67.

I figured it was that 4-hour window that the reservation system treated like a non-allowed stopover?

I'll give them a call. I figured I ask here first because, well, my experience with the new AGR reps is that, FIRST they are very friendly. SECOND, they seem to know little about the routes.

I figured it was that 4-hour window that the reservation system treated like a non-allowed stopover?
I'll give them a call. I figured I ask here first because, well, my experience with the new AGR reps is that, FIRST they are very friendly. SECOND, they seem to know little about the routes.
Well between the fact that they are all new and that they all live in Canada, I wouldn't expect them to know very much about the routes at all. And I don't mean that in an insulting way, it's just a fact. Don't expect them to understand the idea at all that the Downeaster doesn't arrive at the same station that the Regional's do.

After going through a few attempts, I now just take it as a fait accompli that there will be annoyances trying to get the system to connect with the Downeaster properly, so I just book AGR redemptions as starting in BOS and pay for the Maine-Boston part separately. It's cheap enough, and not giving myself a migraine is worth the money.

Normally (non-AGR), I book a mutli-city ticket when going through boston. The reservation never leaves very much time for the connection.

Sure, on a good day, going between BON and BBY is a short ride on the Orange line. But the Downeaster is always late coming into BON (because of the MBTA I'm usually told). And very often, delays slow down the orange line as well.

With the multi-city, I'll connect to BOS instead, with more time added. Then, if I have free time, I'd rather spend it at BOS then BBY (which is a bit frightening at night).

I will probobly just do the Downeaster seperate. Kids ride free on Sundays anyway.

Back