Can you help identify the

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inspiration100

Lead Service Attendant
Hey guys,

Digging through some old family photos, and I'm trying hard to place the date of this one. Our guess is somewhere around 1979-1981, but I don't know for sure. Anything that can help identify something about this picture? The train, route, date etc?

familyphoto.jpg

Sorry, not much to go by here.

edit: to shrink image

Last edited by a moderator:
Also dug out 2 1974 Amtrak North Coast Hiawatha detailed brochures, as well as a 1974 Chicago-Seattle Empire Builder Timetable. Found a September 1975 ticket for perhaps the Coast Starlight, with Car number 1113, Seat number 47-48, and this postcard of the starlight.

amtrakcoaststarlight.jpg

Are any of these of interest to anyone? I can scan stuff from them if so.

Well I don't know about other's, but I see nothing but the broken image link. And when I copy the URL directly into a new browser window, it asks more for a password. So I suspect that there is something wrong on your end and until that's fixed, no one can see anything.

Hey guys,

Digging through some old family photos, and I'm trying hard to place the date of this one. Our guess is somewhere around 1979-1981, but I don't know for sure. Anything that can help identify something about this picture? The train, route, date etc?

Sorry, not much to go by here.

edit: to shrink image
Well if we assume that the number board is correct, then that car was on the Empire Builder, train #7. And it was the third coach on that train.

Beyond that, I'm not sure that much more can be determined by the photo other than it was very early in the life of the Superliner I cars.

This looks like the same paint scheme in pictures in the early 1990's. Did they have the same paint scheme for over 15 years?

Hi,

I have no idea about the train, but my guess from the fashions worn would be the late 1970's... I knew my 25 years in the costume rental trade would be of use on AU one day!

Ed :cool:

That first photo looks like a Superliner in Phase II paint - i.e. the first paint scheme those cars wore. The Empire Builder was the first long distance train to receive Superliners, in late October of 1979 (as per Wikipedia).

This looks like the same paint scheme in pictures in the early 1990's. Did they have the same paint scheme for over 15 years?
No, that's the Phase II paint scheme, which was replaced by Phase III shortly after the introduction of Superliners. From 1979 to 1994, Amtrak used the Phase III paint scheme, which had a wider white stripe between the blue and red ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back