Can you sleep on the train during a layover?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lhudson

I will be traveling alone from San Antonio to Atlanta. There is a night layover in New Orleans. Is it possible to remain on the train and sleep the night, and then travel on to Atlanta in the a.m. Or do you have to get off and re- board in the a.m. to continue on?

I will be traveling alone from San Antonio to Atlanta. There is a night layover in New Orleans. Is it possible to remain on the train and sleep the night, and then travel on to Atlanta in the a.m. Or do you have to get off and re- board in the a.m. to continue on?
Those are two totally different trains. Just like how you cannot "stay" on a plane after it has arrived at the destination airport, you cannot stay on the train. You have to get off, find accommodation for yourself for the night and board the next train in the morning.

You must get off. Upon arrival and after all passengers have left the train, the entire train is moved to the yard to be serviced, cleaned and restocked for the next trip. Also the train from San Antonio to NO and from NO to Atlanta are 2 separate trains and in fact 2 separate types of trains. (One is 2 levels and the other single level.)

Back in Amtrak’s early years you could do just that……the Transcontinental Sleeper from Los Angeles to New York.

The Sunset arrived in New Orleans at 7pm……just in time for you to to go out for a nice meal and some entertainment. When you returned to the station later that evening…..your sleeper had been placed in the consist of the Southern Crescent (still operated by the Southern Railway at that time) and it was your “Hotel Room” for the nite. Departure the next morning was 7am but you could sleep-in..

amtrak%2520sch%2520001.jpg

And all three answers you got are correct.

As to the transcon sleeping car, it was just that, just one car, not the whole train. And,at that time both trains were single level thus cars could be interchanged in a way they cannot today

In the halcyon days of pre-Amtrak rail travel it was common to see inter-line Sleepers in the livery of one railroad proudly riding a flagship train from another. Of course many of these changeovers occurred in Chicago and since Pullman staffed the Sleepers the changeover was relatively seamless. Often the Sleeper would have to be hostled from one station to another through a maze of interconnecting track.

Today the only through Sleeper (and Coach) is the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited at San Antonio.

And unfortunately, the station is closed during the overnight hours, unlike some 24 horu stations where people do routinely sleep with a ticket - Union Station in Los Angeles is a good example where passengers with Amtrak tickets for the next day can and do sleep in the station. Security does check tickets periodically but any ticket for a train in the morning allows you to wait there.

My advice would be to only have a small backpack for your carry on. Your checked bags will be held overnight in the NOL station to ho on the Crescent in the morning.

Sleep as much as you can on the Sunset before you arrive at 9:40PM or later.

Walk or take a taxi into the French Quarter from the station (not far).

The Cafe du Monde is open 24/7. This is the place to get good coffee and begniets.

In the halcyon days of pre-Amtrak rail travel it was common to see inter-line Sleepers in the livery of one railroad proudly riding a flagship train from another. Of course many of these changeovers occurred in Chicago and since Pullman staffed the Sleepers the changeover was relatively seamless. Often the Sleeper would have to be hostled from one station to another through a maze of interconnecting track.
Today the only through Sleeper (and Coach) is the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited at San Antonio.
While seamless to the passengers, the transfer of sleeping cars in Chicago often involved moving the car from one station to another, so if you weren't onboard at the time of the sleeping car transfer, you would need to walk, taxi, or Parmalee transfer to the other station for your departure from Chicago.

Many other sleeping cars were transferred between railroads at St. Lous Union Station.

Thanks so much everyone! I'm no seasoned traveler by any means, and not very adventurous on my own. Was trying to find a way via train or bus from Atlanta to San Antonio that was fairly seamless. But alas, Southwest Airlines seems to be my best bet! You all have been very kind to share your knowledge with me!

Thanks so much everyone! I'm no seasoned traveler by any means, and not very adventurous on my own. Was trying to find a way via train or bus from Atlanta to San Antonio that was fairly seamless. But alas, Southwest Airlines seems to be my best bet! You all have been very kind to share your knowledge with me!
Yeah, Amtrak's limited route network and schedule certainly makes travel between many city pairs impractical or unnecessarily complicated. Enjoy your trip, and

hopefully you'll have another reason to try Amtrak in the near future!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back