Can You Stay In Your Sleeper If Train Arrives Early?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fairviewroad

Engineer
Soon, I'm taking #11 south to SAC where I'm connecting to #6. Originally arrival into SAC was 6:15 a.m, now thanks to CS schedule change, arrival into SAC is scheduled for 8:15 a.m.. This leaves roughly 3 hours to make the connection to #6. Shouldn't be a problem. In fact, the later CS arrival means I'll be able to have breakfast on the train. :D

So my plan was to get up around 6:30 and head immediately to the diner. Then, come back to my room and shower prior to the 8:15 arrival into SAC. But lo and behold, the #11 has a habit of arriving very early into SAC. In fact, this morning it arrived nearly a full hour ahead of schedule at 7:18 a.m. What's more, since the 2-hour schedule shift took effect, the #11 has arrived into SAC at least 20 minutes early 8 out of 10 days. (Once it was on time, and once it was about 80 minutes late.)

So my question is, what happens if the train arrives into SAC while I'm in the shower and/or otherwise still getting dressed/packed? I mean, the train's not going anywhere until 8:35. And while boarding passengers will understandably want to board ASAP, do I have the right to occupy my room until 8:15? It seems a shame to be penalized for an early arrival by having to vacate one's room. Obviously if I'm showered and ready to go, I won't just sit there for the sake of sitting there. But why should I rush just because Amtrak feels the need to so generously pad the schedule?

Before you get into the shower, you should have a good idea what time the train will be arriving at your station. I mean, if you don't, just ask!

The SCA needs to get your room ready for some possible next passenger. IMHO, you are expected to vacate the train promptly upon arrival at your destination, early or late.

Figure it this way. You've purchased passage and accommodations from wherever to SAC, not from whenever to 8:15. Once you arrive as your station, you're expected to detrain in a timely manner.

Basically this is my advice.. NEVER plan timing on Amtrak. Things will never work out exactly as planned. When travelling Amtrak (also when travelling by airlines or ground transportation.. i.e. travel in general) you need to be prepared to be flexible when times change weather early or late.

Having said that... You can ask your Sleeper Attendant, if no one is moving in to your room he probably won't mind if you occupy the space some during your dwell time. Especially if it earns him a tip. But please ask him and if says no, please respect his answer.

Why should I rush just because Amtrak feels the need to so generously pad the schedule?
So if Amtrak removed every second of padding you would no longer have to rush? I really don't follow where you're going with this or why it's so important not to have to choose between eating and showering.

Figure it this way. You've purchased passage and accommodations from wherever to SAC, not from whenever to 8:15. Once you arrive as your station, you're expected to detrain in a timely manner.
I agree, but the question I'm raising is, what constitutes a "timely manner." One could argue that de-training at 8:15 is pretty timely when

that is the scheduled arrival time. As far as the attendants having enough time to prepare the compartment for the next passenger, I think

it's pretty clear that with a scheduled 20-minute dwell time that Amtrak thinks that 20 minutes is a reasonable amount of time for this to

happen in SAC. I've seen a few opinions here, which are appreciated. Now does anyone have actual experience with this happening?

I agree with this. If it looks like an early arrival, I would also suggest talking to the SCA to negotiate arrangements for a delayed detrain upon early arrival (if that make sense :) )

I agree, but the question I'm raising is, what constitutes a "timely manner." One could argue that de-training at 8:15 is pretty timely when

that is the scheduled arrival time. As far as the attendants having enough time to prepare the compartment for the next passenger, I think

it's pretty clear that with a scheduled 20-minute dwell time that Amtrak thinks that 20 minutes is a reasonable amount of time for this to

happen in SAC. I've seen a few opinions here, which are appreciated. Now does anyone have actual experience with this happening?
Yes, twice on the SWC eastbound from LA to Albuquerque. We were almost 40 minutes early the first time, about a half hour the second time. The SCA came by and advised us of the time. Both cases, he had a new passenger boarding and he said he appreciated the extra time in station because it can be a rush if the train arrives on the normal sked, esp. if there is more than a single room to clean and change.

I can't speak to a situation where there is no one claiming the empty room. I think the best advice is that previously posted: to ask politely and have a nice tip handy.

Even if the CS does arrive (not that it could ever happen) 10 hours early, a train can not depart from a station until the SCHEDULED departure time! So even if it arrives in SAC at 10:15 the night before, it could not depart until that scheduled departure time shown on the schedule anyway!

This is correct. Your ticket is for transportation and accommodations from point A to point B. Once you're at point B it's time to vacate the room and detrain.

I've never ridden the Coast Starlight all the way to California but I'm guessing that SAC is a major stop, meaning a good amount of passengers both detraining and boarding there? When the train arrives into the station the SCA has to get ALL the rooms that are turning ready for the next passengers that board, not just the room you were in. They have to get all the rooms ready and then be on the ground at their door when the conductors are ready to board passengers. Typically sleeping car passengers are boarded first.

I would hope that when you boarded the train yourself, that your room was cleaned with linen replaced on the bunks, trash emptied and removed from the room and the proper amenities restocked. The next passenger is due the same consideration and service don't you think?

What I would suggest is modify your morning plans and get up and take your shower first. Then, pack up your belongings and take your luggage downstairs to the rack, then go to breakfast. If you are sitting in the diner having your breakfast, you are still killing time ON the train, yet your SCA can get in and get the room ready for the next passengers that board. Just make sure you don't get into a conversation with your table mates and forget to get off the train before it leaves.

Enjoy the ride.

Upon arrival at your destination point you are asked to detrain. If your destination point is the last stop you will still be asked to detrain. Going back years ago there were some trains that arrived in the early morning hours and allowed their passengers to sleep a few hours more before detraing but to my knowledge that practice no longer exists anywhere in the Amtrak system. There were also trains that arrived at a station and were scheduled to continue their journey in a few hours by being coupled to another train. In that case you were also allowed to stay on the train. Today its arrive and off!

Why should I rush just because Amtrak feels the need to so generously pad the schedule?
So if Amtrak removed every second of padding you would no longer have to rush?
I don't know why this is so hard to understand. It's about expectations.

A passenger expecting an 8:15 arrival will not necessarily be ready to detrain by 7:45, or even by

7:17, which is when the #11 arrived into SAC this morning. So if the passenger is expecting a 7:15

arrival then obviously they do not have to rush since they will have risen earlier to compensate.

Let's put it another way. Mr. & Mrs. Tourist have spent $600 on one-way bedroom tickets from

Seattle to Sacramento. They have been told by Amtrak that their fare includes free meals in the diner

and an in-room shower. Naturally, they expect to take advantage of both. Mr. & Mrs. Tourist know that

Amtrak has a reputation for lateness, and they are okay with that.

When they go to sleep in the evening, the train has just left Chemult 20 minutes late. No

problem, they figure. So they set their alarm for 6:45, figuring that an hour and a half is plenty of time to

have breakfast and take a shower, and look forward to stepping off the train in Sacramento clean and fed.

If the train is still late, no biggie. And if it makes up a little time, then, they'll be ready for that 8:15 a.m.

arrival.

Alarm rings at 6:45...they get up and mosey on down to the diner. They place their order, and lo and

behold...before their food comes...the loudspeaker crackles "Sacramento in 10 minutes...if Sacramento

is your destination please gather your belongings..."

By the prevailing opinion of this board, Mr. & Mrs. Tourist should set down their coffee and scramble to gather

up their belongings...forget breakfast...forget a shower...Mr. & Mrs. Tourist step off the train in Sacramento

at 7:17 a.m. (this morning's arrival time) and they are hungry, and feeling a little crusty...and most definitely

grumpy. Now, do you think that Mr. & Mrs. Tourist are ever going to shell out $600 for a first-class train trip

again? In this scenario, Amtrak is better off being an hour late than an hour early.

As for me...well, I sure didn't pay $600 and I'm proactive enough to know that this very early arrival is a

possibility. So, I'll make sure to ask my SCA what his/her expectations are, and will tip accordingly. I'm just

saying that an "evacuate or else 'cause all you paid for was a rolling bed" is not the kind of attitude that will

win the hearts of the average train passenger. Cheers.

So if Amtrak removed every second of padding you would no longer have to rush?
When they go to sleep in the evening, the train has just left Chemult 20 minutes late. No

problem, they figure. So they set their alarm for 6:45, figuring that an hour and a half is plenty of time to

have breakfast and take a shower, and look forward to stepping off the train in Sacramento clean and fed.

If the train is still late, no biggie. And if it makes up a little time, then, they'll be ready for that 8:15 a.m.

arrival.

Alarm rings at 6:45...they get up and mosey on down to the diner. They place their order, and lo and

behold...before their food comes...the loudspeaker crackles "Sacramento in 10 minutes...if Sacramento

is your destination please gather your belongings..."
Amtrak routes have padding built into the schedule. That's pretty well known I believe. It's apparent that Sacramento is one of those stops, much like Minneapolis-St. Paul is on the Empire Builder, that the train can and usually does arrive significantly earlier than the printed, scheduled arrival time. Any good SCA is going to introduce themselves and interact with their passengers throughout the trip. At some point during the day or the evening before, knowing that a passenger is going to Sacramento, the attendant is going to discuss arrival into Sacramento in the morning and the expected arrival time would be discussed as well. Only a derelict sleeping car attendant would leave you unaware of a routinely early arrival into Sacramento. Now, I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it certainly wouldn't be the norm that a sleeping car passenger isn't informed by their attendant that the train is usually early into Sacramento.

Like you said, talk to your SCA. It's certainly not in his/her best interests to just toss you out of your room before you are freshened up and fed.

I was in a roomette on a northbound SWC detraining in Kansas City about a year ago. There is a 20 minute dwell scheduled plus we arrived early. The SCA said it was cool if I wanted to hang around and enjoy a cup of coffee for a while. I'm not saying that's Amtrak policy but there is a chance of it happening.

What I would suggest is modify your morning plans and get up and take your shower first. Then, pack up your belongings and take your luggage downstairs to the rack, then go to breakfast. If you are sitting in the diner having your breakfast, you are still killing time ON the train, yet your SCA can get in and get the room ready for the next passengers that board. Just make sure you don't get into a conversation with your table mates and forget to get off the train before it leaves.

Enjoy the ride.
This is a fantastic idea...

It's not hard to understand. We understand completely. The problem is not our understanding, but the fact that you simply do not like the responses that you received. Big difference.

I am not sure why you came here to ask a question, only to argue when you received unaminous counsel. Were you seeking information or validation? :excl:

It's not hard to understand. We understand completely. The problem is not our understanding, but the fact that you simply do not like the responses that you received. Big difference.

I am not sure why you came here to ask a question, only to argue when you received unaminous counsel. Were you seeking information or validation? :excl:
Amen!

Just to clarify... There are posters who have experienced SCA's who have done both. It depends on your SCA, the load of the Sleeper that day, and prob. a little bit of voo-doo that's called "treat the SCA nice and he may be more willing to let you stay in your room longer." There is nothing to expect or not to expect here. Your tourist analogy is very off, Amtrak is not running a bed and breakfast (well I guess they kinda are technically?), its a mode of transit. Honestly, I've never thought I'd hear someone worry that the train would be too early!!!!

Honestly, I've never thought I'd hear someone worry that the train would be too early!!!!
Actually, there is one very big reason to hope your train does not arrive early - or even hope that it is late. For anyone in a sleeper, arriving at 4AM or 6AM (or in our case 8AM) is not a lot of fun. You miss out on sleep, have to get ready to depart while half asleep and miss out on breakfast. In one case, we were due to arrive in KC on the eastbound SWC on Sunday morning at 7:15 or so. Arriving at 10AM was so nice! Good night's sleep and relaxing breakfast as well as the fact that nothing is going on at Union Station in KC on Sunday mornings!

Of course, those proceeding on to Chicago probably weren't pleased but I'll bet those meeting the Chief in those Kansas towns were happy to not do so at 4 in the morning.

:rolleyes:

I remember a pre Amtrak trip when I was glad to be four hours late.

The train was due into Chicago at 3.30 am, a train primarily for mail which no longer had any sleepers or diner. The only reason I was on it was because a later train (which had become chronically late) might have made me miss my connection.

This delay of fours hours did not endanger my connection, and on a cold snowy December day, first time to set foot in Chicago, I immensely enjoyed four more hours of good warmth. What I would have done in Dearborn Station if we had been on time, I have no idea.

Amtrak routes have padding built into the schedule. That's pretty well known I believe.

Not sure I agree with this (the part about it being well known).

Among rail fans and frequent Amtrak riders, perhaps. But I'd say the average person

does not even know what schedule padding is, and when asked about

Amtrak's timeliness the prevailing sentiment is that Amtrak is always late.

Hi Chatter163 --

I was seeking information -- but found very little beyond speculation from people with no apparent first-hand experience. I argued with the speculation, not with the actual "on-the-ground" information. Happily, there were a few posters with actual experience...and I'll add my own, now that the trip is over.

I woke up around 6:15, flagged down the SCA and asked our expected arrival into SAC. He said the conductor was predicting a 7:15 arrival, about an hour early. I asked the SCA what would be expected of Mrs. fairviewroad and myself if the train arrived early and we were, say, in the middle of breakfast. He said the train left SAC at 8:35 and as long as we were off the train before then it was no problem. Interestingly, this was a far more generous offer than anyone on this board, including myself, anticipated. However, we certainly weren't planning to stay on the train that long.

As it turned out the conductor was a little too optimistic in his prediction and the train actually arrived at 7:40. Mrs. fairviewroad and I exited the sleeping car approximately 10 minutes later. However, because of our conversation with the SCA we were able to have a leisurely breakfast and were able to freshen up without being rushed. Bottom line is that it all worked out well.

Recently the southbound Texas Eagle has been running well ahead of schedule by the time it reaches Dallas and FTW and often has to dwell for up to an hour or more in FTW. A couple days ago, FTW was my destination and the Diner opens for lunch shortly after leaving Dallas and since the Sleepers were pretty well cleared out by then, the SCA and LSA both said take your time and enjoy a nice lunch and dessert.

Recently the southbound Texas Eagle has been running well ahead of schedule by the time it reaches Dallas and FTW and often has to dwell for up to an hour or more in FTW. A couple days ago, FTW was my destination and the Diner opens for lunch shortly after leaving Dallas and since the Sleepers were pretty well cleared out by then, the SCA and LSA both said take your time and enjoy a nice lunch and dessert.
I quite enjoyed arriving in Dallas early on my trip in late October. Although I was continuing to San Antonio, it gave my plenty of time to enjoy the park outside Union Station and do alot of railfanning/train watching on the platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back