Cancelations / mid-Atlantic storm

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bravo to MARC for shuffling service today to get all of us commuters home.
Attention MARC Passengers--
Full service will operate on all three lines on Friday, February 5. In anticipation of the large snowstorm forecast for tomorrow, MARC has made the following changes to service for Friday, February 5 ONLY:

Penn Line: No additional trains will operate, but starting with train 520 (12:20pm departure from Washington), the larger rush-hour trainsets will be used on all trains.

Camden Line: Train 852 (5:51pm departure from Washington) will be cancelled. An extra Camden Line train will depart Union Station at 2:00pm making all stops to Camden Yards.

Brunswick Line: Train 877 (4:55pm departure from Washington) will be cancelled. An extra Brunswick Line train will depart Union Station at 2:40pm making all stops to Martinsburg, WV. Train 871 (Friday-only 1:40pm departure from Washington) will operate as scheduled.

The latest predictions are that the snow will begin in the late morning. Please exercise extreme caution tomorrow when arriving at your station, parking your car, walking to and boarding your train.

Thank you for riding MARC Train Service.
I'm headed for the train station! :D
Glad to hear MARC helped you guys out. Whenever I'm in DC for business I try to take a run on the Penn line up to Aberdeen and grab a NE Regional back. I really like MARC's bi-level cars, too.

Glad to hear MARC helped you guys out. Whenever I'm in DC for business I try to take a run on the Penn line up to Aberdeen and grab a NE Regional back. I really like MARC's bi-level cars, too.
As it turned out, the 12:20 (which is the last train to Perryville before the 4:24) got SLAMMED and was overloaded well before departure time, so the cut off loading. Left a lot of PISSED commuters behind, but within about 15 minutes they took a quick count of who was headed north of Baltimore, told them all that they could take the 1:20 to Baltimore and by the time they got there the alternate arrangements (I assume a bus) would be ready. Despite the fact that MARC ran full length consists, and flexed rapidly to meet the overwhelming demand, I'm sure that a flood of complaints is going to sour things up.

As it turned out, the 12:20 (which is the last train to Perryville before the 4:24) got SLAMMED and was overloaded well before departure time, so the cut off loading. Left a lot of PISSED commuters behind, but within about 15 minutes they took a quick count of who was headed north of Baltimore, told them all that they could take the 1:20 to Baltimore and by the time they got there the alternate arrangements (I assume a bus) would be ready. Despite the fact that MARC ran full length consists, and flexed rapidly to meet the overwhelming demand, I'm sure that a flood of complaints is going to sour things up.
OUCH. Ya, I can imagine it's a tall order trying to evacuate half the DC commuters up the Penn line! Another "damned if you do and damned if you don't" scenario.

I'm scheduled to be on the Cardinal from Indianapolis to New York tomorrow night. If it is cancelled, when and how are passengersnotified and how does Amtrak reschedule the trip? What happens to the passengers who were terminated in Huntington, WV? How

do they get to their more eastbound destinations? Can one call Amtrak to find out the status of their train? I have looked at

amtrak.com and there is no status for my train. It's a blizzard in Indianapolis now.
Amtrak won't make a decision on tomorrow's Cardinal until possibly as late as early afternoon. The decision will largely depend on the condition of the tracks between Huntington and Charlottesville. If the Cardinal does get annulled, it may run as far as Indianapolis, or possibly Huntington. Amtrak may busstitute passengers headed east of Huntington to Clifton Forge or Staunton or Charlottesville to continue the journey on another train set, or they may just call you ahead of time (you provided a good phone number, right?) and bus you to meet the Lake Shore Limited or Capitol Limited. Either way, they'll do their best to take care of you.

Rafi

Significant disruptions in the northeast with the snowstorm continue...wild winter!

February 6, 2010

9:30 a.m.

WASHINGTON, DC – Due to severe winter weather conditions, which has resulted in downed trees and power lines on portions of tracks in Virginia, the Carolinas and across the mid-Atlantic region, Amtrak has canceled several trains for February 6.

The following operating plan is in effect for Saturday, February 6:

* Carolinian trains 79 and 80 will operate only between Raleigh and Charlotte with no alternate transportation between New York and Raleigh.

* Palmetto trains 89 and 90 are canceled in their entirety between New York and Savannah.

* Northbound Northeast Regionals:

• Train 82 is canceled in its entirety between Richmond and Boston

• Train 88 is canceled Richmond to Washington

• Train 194 is canceled Newport News to Washington

• Train 66 is canceled Newport News to Washington

• Train 156 is canceled Lynchburg to New York.

• Train 152 is canceled Washington to New York.

• Train 160 is canceled Washington to New York but will operate between New York and Boston.

* Southbound Northeast Regionals:

• Train 195 is canceled Washington to Richmond with no alternate transportation.

• Train 67 is canceled Washington to Newport News with no alternate transportation.

• Train 99 is canceled Washington to Newport News.

• Train 147 is canceled Washington to Lynchburg.

• Train 165 is canceled Boston to Washington.

• Train 199 is canceled New York to Washington

• Train 159 is canceled New York to Washington

• Train 121 is canceled New York to Washington

* Acela Express Service: Acela Express trains 2207 and 2251 between New York and Washington and train 2220 between Washington and New York are canceled.

* Silver Service trains 97 and 98, operating between New York and Miami are canceled with no alternate transportation. Trains 91 and 92 will operate between Miami and Savannah only.

* Crescent trains 19 and 20, which operates between New York and New Orleans, are canceled with no alternate transportation.

* The Auto Train is canceled in its entirety between Lorton, VA and Sanford, FL.

* Capitol Limited trains 29 and 30, operating between Washington and Chicago is canceled with no alternate transportation.

All other Amtrak service, including the Piedmont (Raleigh - Charlotte) is expected to operate normally.

So far, the Cardinal (#50) from Chicago to New York is still planning to operate.

All sleeper accommodations are sold out, but I'm in a roomette.

If it gets cancelled, I'll stay and try the Lake Shore Limited tomorrow.

So far, the Cardinal (#50) from Chicago to New York is still planning to operate.All sleeper accommodations are sold out, but I'm in a roomette.

If it gets cancelled, I'll stay and try the Lake Shore Limited tomorrow.
Shanghai,

at this point I will be shocked if the eastbound Cardinal makes it past Huntington tonIght/tomorrow. CSX has expressed concern with the line's trees and powerlines falling onto the tracks, not to mention the 2 feet of snow. That Amtrak has also cancled all other service on the Charlottesville line today makes me fear for the fate of 50(6). Who knows though. We may get a pleasant surprise. Lord knows the scenery will be just spectacular.

Rafi

What kind of snow removal equipment to the railroads have in this region? I would imagine not too many Rotaries, and with this much snow, I would think only a Rotary would be effective. Too much for Spreaders?

Sure enough, trains 50(6) and 51(7) have been cancelled east of Huntington. 50(6)'s train set will turn at Huntington to represent 51(7).
Rafi
Thanks Rafi. I called Amtrak and was told that the eastbound Cardinal would operate to Hudson and that anyone going beyond

this point would not be permitted on the train. I said I was going to New York Penn and that was before Hudson (NY). I questioned

the Amtrak service person if she was looking at the proper train because I didn't think the Cardinal went to Hudson. I asked her

to be certain she didn't mean Huntington, WV and she then said that was what she meant.

Anyhow, she rebooked me on the Hoosier State from Indianapolis to Chicago and the Lake Shore Limited to New York. I was able

to get a roomette so other than getting home one day late, all appears to be well. I was able to extend my hotel for another night.

I'll find something to do tomorrow in Chicago. Does anyone remember the Lou's something restaurant in Chicago??

Sure enough, trains 50(6) and 51(7) have been cancelled east of Huntington. 50(6)'s train set will turn at Huntington to represent 51(7).
Rafi
Thanks Rafi. I called Amtrak and was told that the eastbound Cardinal would operate to Hudson and that anyone going beyond

this point would not be permitted on the train. I said I was going to New York Penn and that was before Hudson (NY). I questioned

the Amtrak service person if she was looking at the proper train because I didn't think the Cardinal went to Hudson. I asked her

to be certain she didn't mean Huntington, WV and she then said that was what she meant.

Anyhow, she rebooked me on the Hoosier State from Indianapolis to Chicago and the Lake Shore Limited to New York. I was able

to get a roomette so other than getting home one day late, all appears to be well. I was able to extend my hotel for another night.

I'll find something to do tomorrow in Chicago. Does anyone remember the Lou's something restaurant in Chicago??
Lou Mitchell's

Why are they getting all pansyish cancelling trains for the little snow we got?
Because we got a metric ton's worth more down here - bigger than the December storm, likely somewhere int he top 5 ever.
My train was cancelled, I was able to call and get on the next one.
Actually, as far as the Baltimore Metro area is concerned, it was at least the #2 of all time. We're still waiting on the BWI "official" total to see if it was more than 28.2 inches (which was the #1 of all time--2003 President's Day Storm when the B&O Roundhouse Roof collapsed). Last count at noon was 26.5 inches at BWI. Elkridge, which is not far from BWI, reported in when it was all over with a whopping 39 inches!

Also of note, this is by far the most inches of snow to ever fall in one season, thanks to the December storm and now this one. The old record was absolutely shattered by about 1 PM.

Rafi

Still, that's less than three feet of snow. That shouldn't be beyond surmounting.
A few of the things Amtrak can't predict, any of which could seriously hose them:

Giant drifts.

Severe winds.

Downed trees.

Frozen switches.

Wimpy P42s.

Power outages.

The whims of the host railroads who don't really care who gets stranded where.

The train that's stuck in Connellsville is lucky: there are local businesses able to supply them with food indefinitely, and there are probably even options for refueling if they need to. Connellsville may not be connected to Pittsburgh by highway for a while, but it's got its own resources. Imagine if the Capitol Limited were stranded twenty miles outside of Connellsville.

our crew is stuck in nol until tuesday night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Significant disruptions in the northeast with the snowstorm continue...wild winter!
February 6, 2010

9:30 a.m.

WASHINGTON, DC – Due to severe winter weather conditions, which has resulted in downed trees and power lines on portions of tracks in Virginia, the Carolinas and across the mid-Atlantic region, Amtrak has canceled several trains for February 6.

The following operating plan is in effect for Saturday, February 6:

* Carolinian trains 79 and 80 will operate only between Raleigh and Charlotte with no alternate transportation between New York and Raleigh.

* Palmetto trains 89 and 90 are canceled in their entirety between New York and Savannah.

* Northbound Northeast Regionals:

• Train 82 is canceled in its entirety between Richmond and Boston

• Train 88 is canceled Richmond to Washington

• Train 156 is canceled Lynchburg to New York.

• Train 160 is canceled Washington to New York but will operate between New York and Boston.

* Southbound Northeast Regionals:

• Train 195 is canceled Washington to Richmond with no alternate transportation.

• Train 67 is canceled Washington to Newport News with no alternate transportation.

• Train 99 is canceled Washington to Newport News.

• Train 147 is canceled Washington to Lynchburg.

• Train 165 is canceled Boston to Washington.

• Train 199 is canceled New York to Washington

• Train 121 is canceled New York to Washington

* Acela Express Service: Acela Express trains 2207 and 2251 between New York and Washington and train 2220 between Washington and New York are canceled.

* Silver Service trains 97 and 98, operating between New York and Miami are canceled with no alternate transportation. Trains 91 and 92 will operate between Miami and Savannah only.

* Crescent trains 19 and 20, which operates between New York and New Orleans, are canceled with no alternate transportation.

* The Auto Train is canceled in its entirety between Lorton, VA and Sanford, FL.

* Capitol Limited trains 29 and 30, operating between Washington and Chicago is canceled with no alternate transportation.

All other Amtrak service, including the Piedmont (Raleigh - Charlotte) is expected to operate normally.

The latest update...

Amtrak Service Adjustments Due to Severe Winter Weather
February 7, 2010

9:00 a.m. ET

WASHINGTON, DC – Due to severe winter weather conditions, which has resulted in downed trees and power lines on portions of tracks in Virginia, the Carolinas and across the mid-Atlantic region, Amtrak has canceled several trains for February 7 .

The following operating plan is in effect for Sunday, February 7:

Carolinian trains 79 and 80 will operate only between Raleigh and Charlotte with no alternate transportation between New York and Raleigh.

Palmetto trains 89 and 90 are canceled in their entirety between New York and Savannah.

Northbound Northeast Regionals:

• Train 150 is canceled Washington to New York.

• Train 162 is canceled Washington to New York

• Train 156 is canceled Washington to New York

• Train 126 is canceled Washington to New York

• Train 158 is canceled Washington to New York.

• Train 154 is canceled to Washington to New York

• Train 88 is canceled south of Washington

Southbound Northeast Regionals:

• Train 67 is canceled Washington to Newport News

• Train 131 is canceled New York to Washington

• Train 195 is canceled Washington to Richmond

• Train 157 is canceled New York to Washington

• Train 87 is canceled Washington to Richmond

• Train 123 is canceled New York to Washington

• Train 155 is canceled New York to Washington

• Train 161 is canceled Boston to New York

• Train 145 is canceled New York to Lynchburg

• Train 99 will terminate at Washington

Acela Express Service: Northbound

• 2250, 2208, 2212, 2256, 2222 and 2228 are canceled between Washington and New York

Acela Express Service: Southbound

• 2211,2221,2225 and 2259 are canceled between New York and Washington.

Silver Service trains 97 and 98, operating between New York and Miami are canceled with no alternate transportation. Trains 91 and 92 will operate between Miami and Savannah only. Keystone Service train 660 will terminate in Philadelphia and is canceled between New York and Philadelphia and trains 664 and 661 are canceled in its entirety. Crescent trains 19 and 20, which operates between New York and New Orleans, are canceled with no alternate transportation. The Auto Train is canceled in its entirety between Lorton, VA and Sanford, FL. Capitol Limited trains 29 and 30, operating between Washington and Chicago is canceled with no alternate transportation. The Cardinal Service, Train 51, will operate between Huntington, West Virginia and Chicago only.

it almost like a shut down of whole north east system. thats means when i leave nol on tuesday is going to be pack train!

I live along the tracks south out of Alexandria Station and I haven't seen anything go by since Friday evening. No trains, no clearing equipment, nothing. Even during the December Storm there was the occasional train, after the frozen switch incident got cleared up anyway.

And here we go for Monday cancellations...and on www.weather.gov there is a new winter storm watch for Tuesday/Wednesday with another possible large snowstorm in the mid-Atlantic!

February 7, 2010

3:15 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON, DC – Due to severe winter weather conditions, which has resulted in downed trees and power lines on portions of tracks in Virginia, the Carolinas and across the mid-Atlantic region, Amtrak has canceled several trains for February 7.

The following service has been canceled for Monday, February 8:

* Northeast Regionals:

• Trains 95, 93, 85, 67 will terminate in Washington.

• Train 171 is canceled Washington to Lynchburg, VA

• Trains 110, 176 and 184 are canceled.

• Trains 84 and 86 are canceled Washington to Richmond

• Trains 66 and 94 are canceled Newport News to Washington

• Trains 151, 127, 193 are canceled New York to Washington

* Carolinian trains 79 and 80 will operate only between Raleigh and Charlotte with no alternate transportation between New York and Raleigh.Palmetto trains 89 and 90 are canceled in their entirety between New York and Savannah.

I hope Amtrak realizes what all these cancellations will do to their reputation for operating in lousy conditions.

In light of what happens when trains get stranded, I stand behind amtraks decision even if it messes up my trip on Thursday. The Capitol limited and the autotrain are both stranded. It will take even longer to get these services back on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back