Cancelations / mid-Atlantic storm

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm, the railroads of 40-50 years ago "soldiered thru" Amtrak, CSX, NS, etc. corporate suits just don't want to take the risk theses days.
BS, BS, BS...............
Ummm, since you are making this claim, I can't resist asking for a specific example or two where in the mid-Atlantic states there was a snowstorm that dumped 2 feet of ice and snow and all the railroads kept running with no cancellations. Afterall, one should be able to back up ones rants with facts, no?

Now after you have come up with the examples, overlay on it the facts of today in the form of the litigious society that we live in and the regulatory environment in which we operate, and then let us know which of the risks are worth taking and which not. Afterall it is all about risk management anyway. It is not your toy train in the basement in which there are no material consequences of running them or not.

Umm, the railroads of 40-50 years ago "soldiered thru" Amtrak, CSX, NS, etc. corporate suits just don't want to take the risk theses days.
The railroads didn't have to push through this amount of snow, either. What part of "record snowfall" is unclear?
This is from a CNN article about last weeks' storm:

In that blizzard, a record 32.4 inches of snow fell on Washington's Dulles International Airport over two days, breaking a January 7-8, 1996, record of 23.2 inches.
Last week's storm had almost 40% more snow. As I said, this is unprecedented.

Last edited by a moderator:
a complete shutdown like this.
You keep saying this, despite it being demonstrably false. I rode on the NEC yesterday. I'm on it right now.
Acelafan, that article must be getting around, we're leaving Newark Airport right now, and the train got completely slammed - I don't think that there's a single seat left.
Then Ryan, I stand corrected as regards the NEC and I appologize. Actually I am glad to hear the NEC is working. That alone is encouraging.
From all that I heard, the storm that hit the Mid Atlantic states was one of the worst that was recorded in modern times. I think we need to give the railroads including CSX and Amtrak a break here. Trees and power lines were downed by the heavy snowfall and wind. In addition, this area is not prepared for snowfall in the area of 2-3 feet. The fact that Amtrak was able to resume service in such a short time was commendable. Trying to run trains through these conditions in this part of the country would have been unsafe, unethical and bordering on the insane. Stranding passengers in the middle of nowhere for days on end is not a way to run a railroad just to try to prove a point. The Seaboard, ACL and PRR I don't think ever faced these conditions in these areas based on weather stats. I love rails as much as anyone and trains can continue in many instances when autos and planes cannot. That said, we all have to appreciate the power that the earth's weather can dish out.

Stephen D Lipman, D.M.D.

More foolish comments. Get out on the road and tell this to the Amtrak, CSX, NS, etc. employees who are out there in sub-zero temperatures cutting trees, repairing switches, clearing debris. I am sure they would love to hear how soft they are. They might even give you a chain saw and let your body do the work, rather than your mouth! No one likes to have trains cancelled - lost revenue for everyone whether they are passenger or freight. As far as your idea about chain saw crews on every train, how about adding a few cars with hoists and front loaders, in fact why not have a track clearing car run in front of every train? Have you ever participated in a conference call with a freight railroad and/or Amtrak to hear the concerns about speed of clearing and the need to get trains back on the road? If so, you should no better than to make your comments and if not, you are ill-prepared to give advise or criticize what you don't understand.
I've put my time in clearing brush, bridges, fallen trees, and frozen switches. I've helped re-rail cars and much more. I DO understand what I'm talking about. I think there ARE people, most I hope, at both the private RR's and at Amtrak that truly care about getting the "property" operating again.

But the old days will never return, so I've go to learn to live with it. And apparently keep my mouth shut. (or I might get sued)

I've put my time in clearing brush, bridges, fallen trees, and frozen switches. I've helped re-rail cars and much more. I DO understand what I'm talking about.
No. You don't. How many times did you do that in 2 to 3 feet of snow?
"No. You don't"?????? How do you know he hasn't done this in 2 ' - 3' of snow and thus does know what he is talking about?

BUT, I am interested in his repsonse if he has.

I have been watching the weather and the news very closely. I have a planned trip on #97/98 Silver Meteor, for this sunday. So far these post hold more information than any other news outlet. Keep the info flowing. My first trip better not end in irony; taking Amtrak was to free me from the burden of driving.

Thank You Ppl!! :)

One thing that I think many are failing to consider here, at least with regard to the cancellations on the NEC, is that Amtrak most likely doesn't have the passenger demands needed to run all of the trains even if they could run them all.

People in DC and the Baltimore areas aren't going anywhere. And people aren't traveling to those areas because for 3 days you've been unable to go anywhere. Even Philly is having it's share of problems, but at least by and large most of its transportation network was back up and running on Sunday. The DC Metro as of today still does not have full service running on the trains, much less the buses. Now we could argue about why DC can't run it's Metro with more than 8 inches of snow when Boston & New York, and for that matter even Philly manage to do it with 2 feet of snow or more.

But the fact remains that many people have cancelled travel plans to the affected areas and therefore Amtrak has no need to run full service. Except for when the snow was actualy falling, there is little need to waste money running empty trains.

I've put my time in clearing brush, bridges, fallen trees, and frozen switches. I've helped re-rail cars and much more. I DO understand what I'm talking about.
"No. You don't"?????? How do you know he hasn't done this in 2 ' - 3' of snow and thus does know what he is talking about?

Obviously not in 2 to 3 feet. I stand corrected.

I feel lucky that I was able to return to NYP from CHI on the LSL yesterday!! I think the LSL is not running today.

Obviously not in 2 to 3 feet. I stand corrected.
Well then. As Rosanna Rosannadanna would say; "nevermind". :huh: :unsure: :cool:

Anyone know where the Crescent's trainset is? Since it made it to Atlanta today I expected a Viewliner to greet me as I rolled under the steel spur on I-75 this afternoon, but it wasn't there.

Anyone know where the Crescent's trainset is? Since it made it to Atlanta today I expected a Viewliner to greet me as I rolled under the steel spur on I-75 this afternoon, but it wasn't there.
It may have been on the wye, since it didn't get into ATL until after 1:00 pm. I don't think it went through to NOL, but I am not sure if today was the last day for the turn in ATL.

I feel lucky that I was able to return to NYP from CHI on the LSL yesterday!! I think the LSL is not running today.
:unsure: :blink:

The westbound 49 departed NYP on time today. The eastbound is expected to arrive about 30 minutes early. The only uncertainty at the moment might be the eastbound out of Chicago, and it's way too early to know what that train's status is. It isn't scheduled to depart for another 4 and a half hours as of the time I'm writing this.

One thing that I think many are failing to consider here, at least with regard to the cancellations on the NEC, is that Amtrak most likely doesn't have the passenger demands needed to run all of the trains even if they could run them all.
Now we could argue about why DC can't run it's Metro with more than 8 inches of snow when Boston & New York, and for that matter even Philly manage to do it with 2 feet of snow or more.
You are exactly correct Alan(as usual!) ;) When I lived and worked in DC (well sorta! :lol: )it was a given that DC didnt do snow and the Govt. shut down for "snow days" when a flake flew or even a forecast of flurries! :rolleyes: We always joked about the poor stiffs in Philly and NY and Bos who had to go to work when the weather was bad but really couldnt understand why the Metro shut down so often//early?

You put your finger on it really, there are lots more people who use/ride the trains around DC than back in the day but what's the point in running them when there is no-one to ride? Right on Alan! ;)

Here's another look at how unusual this snowfall is:

2010_0209_snowfallcomp.gif

You'll note that Washington, Baltimore and Philly are all WAY over their "normal snowfall to date".

Now we could argue about why DC can't run it's Metro with more than 8 inches of snow when Boston & New York, and for that matter even Philly manage to do it with 2 feet of snow or more.
Once every few years or so, one of the branches of the MBTA Green Line does shut down due to excessive snow in the way of the trains. But I can't think of a time when the MBTA Red Line has really been affected by snow, and the DC Metro is somewhat more similar to the MBTA Red Line than the MBTA Green Line.

Once every few years or so, one of the branches of the MBTA Green Line does shut down due to excessive snow in the way of the trains. But I can't think of a time when the MBTA Red Line has really been affected by snow, and the DC Metro is somewhat more similar to the MBTA Red Line than the MBTA Green Line.
Boston's Green Line is light rail; rail that runs in the city streets which is part of the problem.

DC's Metro is heavy rail, like the T's Red, Orange, and Blue lines.

The westbound 49 departed NYP on time today. The eastbound is expected to arrive about 30 minutes early. The only uncertainty at the moment might be the eastbound out of Chicago, and it's way too early to know what that train's status is. It isn't scheduled to depart for another 4 and a half hours as of the time I'm writing this.
Friend of mine whose flight from Chicago to Newark was canceled today managed to get on the LSL. According to him LSL is running today with 2 Baggage cars, 7 coaches, 2 cafe cars, 2 diners and 4 sleepers, powered by 2 P42s. The train is completely sold out. So now we know how Amtrak is trying to clear eastbound passengers out of Chicago absent the Capitol Ltd. Looks like maybe they are making good use of some cars that are not running on the canceled Silver Service trains.

Friend of mine whose flight from Chicago to Newark was canceled today managed to get on the LSL. According to him LSL is running today with 2 Baggage cars, 7 coaches, 2 cafe cars, 2 diners and 4 sleepers, powered by 2 P42s. The train is completely sold out. So now we know how Amtrak is trying to clear eastbound passengers out of Chicago absent the Capitol Ltd. Looks like maybe they are making good use of some cars that are not running on the canceled Silver Service trains.
WOW! Imagine the walk to the Diners, usually it's just the BOS section on the LSL, and the PDX section of the EB! Sounds like the old days with the long trains but don't think I'd want to be in a coach when it's this jammed! Guess this will continue till theother trains resume, imagine what the buckets are for this train! :eek:

Ok, so you got an LSL running normal number of bags and cafes, 2 extra coaches, an extra sleeper, and an extra diner.

I'll bet you good money its P42-P42-Bag-Sleeper-Coach-Coach-Cafe (active)-Coach-Coach-Coach-Coach-Coach-Cafe (dead)-Diner-Sleeper-Sleeper-Sleeper-bag, and your friend is mistaken about the second diner. Which would mean what Amtrak did was swap a Silver Star/Crescent/Lake Shore NY section consist with a Silver Meteor consist.

Any guesses as to when the Auto Train might run again? I was supposed to be heading North to home today. If they can't get it running by Friday I will likely have to make the long drive home.

NEC and Eastern Seaboard status on Wednesday the 10th:

WASHINGTON – In light of continued severe winter weather in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast, Amtrak has issued a number of service adjustments for Wednesday, October 10, 2010. Despite adverse weather conditons, the Northeast Corridor remains open. However, along this route and several others, Amtrak wiill be offering only limited services.
The massive storm has resulted in downed trees and power lines on portions of CSX freight railroad tracks south of Washington resulting in continued service cancellations in Virginia, and the Carolinas.

The following service adjustments have been made for Wednesday, February 10:

LIMITED SERVICES - Train-by-train details and any updates are available at www.amtrak.com.

* Acela Express: Limited service is available between Washington, New York and Boston.

* Northeast Regionals: Limited service is available between Washington, New York and Boston. All Northeast Regional service south of Washington to Richmond and Newport News is canceled. Northeast Regional train 176 will operate Lynchburg to Washington and onto Boston and train 171 will operate through to Lynchburg. Keystone Service: Limited service is available between Harrisburg, Philadelphia and New York.

* Empire Service: Limited service is available between Niagara Falls, Albany and New York.

ENTIRE CANCELLATIONS - The following services are canceled in their entirety with no alternate transportation:

* Capitol Limited: Trains 29 and 30 (Washington, D.C. – Chicago); Auto Train: Trains 52 and 53 (Lorton, Va. – Sanford, Fla.); Palmetto: Trains 89 and 90 (New York – Savannah).

SERVICE ALONG ONLY A PORTION OF ROUTES - The following are offering service along a portion of their normal routes:

* Silver Service: Trains 97 and 98 will operate between Miami and Savannah only. Trains 91 and 92 will operate between Miami and Raleigh only.

* Carolinian: Trains 79 and 80 will operate between Raleigh and Charlotte only.

* Cardinal Service: Trains 50 and 51 will operate between Huntington, WV, and Chicago only.

All other Amtrak services, including the Piedmont, trains 73 and 74 (Raleigh – Charlotte) and the Crescent, trains 19 and 20 (New York – New Orleans) are expected to operate normally.

Noticed on the trainorders board:

The eastbound Cardinal train 50 was crossing the Ohio River into Kentucky at 701am, about 3.5 hours late. Had an extra sleeper (two total) and the normal Diner Lite, 3 coaches, and one engine. Only heading to Huntington today, so the same consist will head back to Cincinnati-Indianapolis-Chicago tonight and into Thursday am. Surprised to see the extra sleeper with the train truncated in Huntington.

What a winter! I wonder when will life return to normal....maybe late this weekend?

Here is the cancellation list as of 4PM this afternoon from Amtrak's website:

Amtrak will be operating a snow schedule for Thursday, February 11, the following service adjustments have been made. (Note: this is a preliminary list which may grow based on weather conditions):

* Acela Express

- Trains 2103, 2107, 2151, 2155, 2117, 2121, 2165, 2167, 2119, 2171, 2173, 2193,

2190, 2150, 2100, 2154, 2104, 2160, 2110, 2166, 2170, 2122, 2124 and 2126 are canceled

- Trains 2153, 2168 and 2172 are canceled Boston to New York, but will operate New York to Washington

* Northeast Regionals

- Trains 151, 181, 125, 85, 127, 193, 187, 110, 130, 86, 84, 186, 196 and 188 are all canceled

- Train 173 canceled Boston to New York, but will operate New York to Washington

- Trains 67, 95, 93, 67, 94 and 66 are all canceled south of Washington

All Northeast Regional service south of Washington to Richmond and Newport News is canceled.

Northeast Regional train 176 will operate Lynchburg to Washington and onto Boston and train 171 will operate through to Lynchburg.

* Keystone Service

- Trains 605, 609, 647, 651, 649, 622, 619, 639, 600, 646, 650, 656 and 622 are canceled

- Trains 641, 643 and 645 are canceled New York to Philadelphia

- Trains 640, 642 and 644 are canceled Philadelphia to New York

* Empire Service: Limited service is available between Niagara Falls, Albany and New York.

The following services are canceled in their entirety with no alternate transportation:

* Capitol Limited: Trains 29 and 30 (Washington, D.C. – Chicago);

* Auto Train: Trains 52 and 53 (Lorton, Va. – Sanford, Fla.);

* Palmetto: Trains 89 and 90 (New York – Savannah).

The following are offering service along a portion of their normal routes:

* Silver Service: Trains 97 and 98 will operate between Miami and Savannah only. Trains 91 and 92 will operate between Miami and Raleigh only.

* Carolinian: Trains 79 and 80 will operate between Raleigh and Charlotte only.

* Cardinal Service: Trains 50 and 51 will operate between Huntington, WV, and Chicago only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back